Hi Gary,

Putting 10 in the mail today, here's a picture:
295025_352325774826752_171690556223609_971317_901248113_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

peregrinerose

Many of you have seen this thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-pens-servicemen-65833/
If you haven't, please do.

The number of pen contributions so far is very low.
Last year, due to your generosity, we were able to contribute more than 700 pens to our servicemen and women.

This year's annual conference is mid-June in Orlando, FL.
Please sign up here and commit to contributing to ServicePens.
How many pens can you provide?

Thank you.

Can I humbly suggest mostly slimline pens for this? I don't have any to contribute right now, but one of my skydiving students is in the AF, in a refueling plane. I made pens for him and a simple slimline is all that will fit in their flight suits, as the pen/pencil pocket is very small.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Many of you have seen this thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-pens-servicemen-65833/
If you haven't, please do.

The number of pen contributions so far is very low.
Last year, due to your generosity, we were able to contribute more than 700 pens to our servicemen and women.

This year's annual conference is mid-June in Orlando, FL.
Please sign up here and commit to contributing to ServicePens.
How many pens can you provide?

Thank you.

Can I humbly suggest mostly slimline pens for this? I don't have any to contribute right now, but one of my skydiving students is in the AF, in a refueling plane. I made pens for him and a simple slimline is all that will fit in their flight suits, as the pen/pencil pocket is very small.
Most of the pens sent have been slims for that reason - it doesn't hurt to be reminded though.

LL Woodworks

Gary - I'll send at least 5 and will try to send 10, but it will be week of May 14 before I can get them all finished. Thanks for what you are doing.

GaryMGg

Friends,
There's still plenty of time to get your pens to me for this year's conference.

I'll be driving to Orlando with our total contribution; any pens in my hands prior to June 7th will be included.
Any pens received too late for this year's collection will be given away during next year's ServicePens contribution.

Now, one more thing to ask and I don't even need a pen for this:
If you've sent me any pens for ServicePens OR if you've made any pens for our servicemen and women and you wish to thank them, please mail me a note with your thoughts for them.
Mail it to my PO BOX.
I'd like to present these personal notes of thanks with our pen contributions.

For you techies:
IF you want to hand-write something, scan it to your computer as a PDF and email me the PDF, that's fine too. You can use the PM to email option.

Again, thank you for your participation in ServicePens and for showing our troops you care about them.

Regards,
Gary

Wingdoctor

Gary, I have 20 pens and 10 pencils that I am getting ready to ship.

I was going to do it this afternoon but a neighbor 3 year old boy fell out of his Mother's car at the corner by the house today and was killed. We have been with the grandparents and other family members until just a few minutes ago. He was a cute kid and always yelled at me any time he saw me. Logan played in my yard with my great grandkids when they are here every weekend. Such a trajic thing. The whole neighborhood is in mourning.

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
I just dropped 14 in the mail. (you should get a confirmation soon.) They shipped priority.

Included are Mahogany, Maple and Oak you sent, a couple of Brazilian cherry, a Spalted alder, Yew, Sumac and a couple of Desert Ironwood.

Dick

GaryMGg

Happy Memorial Day weekend.
Remember those who made the sacrifices which permit us to enjoy our freedoms.

For anyone still planning to send pens for ServicePens, please PM me via email to obtain a different mailing address.
Any pens received later than this year's deadline will be used for next year's contributions.

Thank you again.
Gary

GaryMGg

Hi all,

Over the weekend, I organized the pens to prepare for the delivery mid-June.
Last year, we donated more than 720 pens.
This year, we're approaching 400.
There is still time to send me pens for inclusion in this year's ServicePens delivery to our men and women in service.

I'd like to know what you think I can do so that next year we contribute more than 1,000 pens?

Thank you for your feedback.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Get vendors to commit

Last year between us ExoticBlanks and I contributed around 500 or 600 (maybe more) slimline kits to pens for troops...I don't think either of us made the donation of kits exclusive. If you can get a half a dozen vendors to either contribute suitable kits or offer a substantial discount and some people to contribute blanks or offer a substantial discount. You might reach your goal.

But having said that....This year I sold at a low price or donated probably close to a thousand kits aimed at getting pens sent to service men both here and in Canada. It seems that there are some who are willing to take advantage of the discounts but then don't follow through on their end of the bargain.

The Penguin

Last year between us ExoticBlanks and I contributed around 500 or 600 (maybe more) slimline kits to pens for troops...I don't think either of us made the donation of kits exclusive. If you can get a half a dozen vendors to either contribute suitable kits or offer a substantial discount and some people to contribute blanks or offer a substantial discount. You might reach your goal.

But having said that....This year I sold at a low price or donated probably close to a thousand kits aimed at getting pens sent to service men both here and in Canada. It seems that there are some who are willing to take advantage of the discounts but then don't follow through on their end of the bargain.
between homework, school projects, soccer and Boy Scouts - my stepson hasn't had time to make the ones I bought from you.

school is out Thursday for him, so he'll be started on them by Friday when I get home from work...maybe he can get them all knocked out this weekend.

Last edited:

NYWoodturner

Gary - the 98 cigar kits I donated are only 2 shy of being 10% of next years goal. (I sent them too late to get them done for this year) Maybe if there are some clubs willing to turn them as club projects we could get an early jump on next year. I'd be willing to kick in some blanks to help get it done. 4 clubs doing 25 each would take care of that lot.

Another thought would be to throw everyones name in a hat one time for every finished pen they sent for a drawing for something - set of Brooks blanks - Curtis's cactus blank etc...

Just a thought

Scott

Wingdoctor

Thanks to Smitty and to Exotic Blanks for their donations of kits. I have sent the 10 pencils I received from Smitty and the 20 pens from Exotic to Gary. Thanks to Gary for coordinating the effort to send pens to our service people. I'll do a bunch next year also, God willing.

penmaker1967

i done 20 or 25 this year myself mostly from kits that i got from smitty and blanks from gary i plan on doing 20 or more next year myself

GaryMGg

I can't thank Smitty and Ed enough for the generosity they've shown by supporting this effort.
And Scott, your pen kit contribution hasn't gone unnoticed. No one's contributions have.
More than anything, I'm wondering what else I could have done.
I didn't produce as many pens as I'd have liked to myself.
I've moved three times this year and haven't had regular access to my lathe in way too long.
I'm confident that'll change in short order.
I'm committed to work to raise the numbers for next year.

Thanks all.

carpblaster

Smitty, It was great doing your pens, I managed to do 20 and sent to Gary, Guranteed, Its ashame people would buy them and keep them for them selves, The 10 I got from you were nice ones i did not get to label the wood but Gary has my box and card,one of them broke when i was inserting it so i got one of mine to use, wish i could afford to get more,being disabled and doing what i can, My son is in the navy and just made e5 friday, wish i could find a clip for a E5 -Ln2.I shiped a lot last year to them,they loved themI am so proud of him he has served 8 years this november and will reinlist next month,wish i was closer to Virginia because they said i could reinlist him, never heard of that but would be great, I hope all the ones who bought you pens smitty and kept them to me that is just like the scammers who send extra money to cash and send back,what goes around comes around,I hope this makes you think, and you all know who you are, make your money off someones charity,If i could afford more i would gladly do more for this year or next year, I love doing slimlines,and am disabled, so if i can only do it for about a few hours at at time, then end up in bed or recliner,and send 20 pens,I would give anything to be in some ones place who can work and make there money and houses cars, try living on disability,God Bless you gary for carrying the pens, and Many thanks to those of us who did what we said we would when we got the discounts,
Rodney

GaryMGg

Rodney,

I fully appreciate the pens you made and I'm planning to send you kits and blanks from my personal stock for next year.
However, I want to make something clear because I don't want anyone to be falsely accused.

Both Smitty and Ed offered free and discounted kits to people to make pens for service men and women.
There are numerous programs those completed pens might have gone to, not just ServicePens.

I believe the vast majority of kits purchased with the expectation they would go to our defenders of freedom did.

Of those who bought discounted kits or received free kits under the guise of producing them to be given to our servicemen and women
AND didn't do that, I expect the vast majority had some life situation which prevented them from using the kits.

I can't imagine the people I know on this site doing anything as unethical and dishonest as
receiving free or discounted kits and NOT using them for the intended purpose.

I will continue offering free blanks (for cost of shipping ony) to those who will make pens for our servicemen and women.

Thank you to all who participate in Servicepens and all who make pens to contribute to pens for the troops.

Jim Burr

Banned
I can only get out 9 due to work relocation...they'll go out Monday. I did give my son (PFC John Burr, USMC) several to pass out at Ft Lee Va. The guys were amazed and "Skyped" me to say "Wow!!! Thanks Johns Dad!!":biggrin: Pens make a difference guys...Wish I could have done more this time around:frown: I bought these out of my pocket and will continue to. I will do 2 a month until the same time next year to make up for what they give.

Last edited:

NYWoodturner

Gary - I think Jim is on the right track. If we start now on next years contribution and track it monthly it will help to keep everyone focused. If we set the bar at 1200 or 100 per month for this entire group it is low hanging fruit. I will commit to 12 now. Are there 99 others out there?
Scott

GaryMGg

Tuesday morning I will head up to Orlando with roughly 400 pens which were crafted and contributed by members of the IAP to deliver them to our country's finest men and women -- those who protect our liberties.

I want to thank Jeff and Mike for their support, aloowing me to communicate this activity on the IAP.
I want to thank Ed and Smitty for supporting ServicePens by making kits available for free and at discounted prices.
I want to thank the following members for your gracious contributions: David Newbern, Bernie Taner, Carl Fisher, Arthur Baldwin, Mel Tuchowski, Rodney Ross, William Reno, Dave Gratiano, Anthony Baker, Brian Evichin, Allen Syler, Jeff Teter, Rod Kenly, Hayden Todd Webb, George Emmons, Richard Box, James Joyce, Gary Hughes, William Cockerell, Bruce Smith, Patrick Crumpton, Jonathon Brooks and one person from Mansville, WA who didn't include their name.
Thanks to all of you who make it possible to honor our Servicemen and women.

Top Bottom