How in the world

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

So just what would you receive for your less than 6 bucks....a pen? A clip and Nib?...just a Nib?.....little lacking in the details as I read it.

magpens

What does the "18 KGP" mean in the ad title ?

Oh .... it just dawned .... 18 karat gold plating, probably !!!

jttheclockman

So just what would you receive for your less than 6 bucks....a pen? A clip and Nib?...just a Nib?.....little lacking in the details as I read it.

You get the pen as seen. As I said I have one of these and the pen is actually very good quality. Shipping alone would be that price. That company is actually a reputable company that I know of. Their whole line of pens is not bad. Buy it for the parts and make it into something else. Really makes you think though.:rolleyes:

jttheclockman

robutacion

I have asked that exact question many times as I have also brought to IAP pens on sale at eBay that I find very puzzling as how they do it.

You are correct, the quality on most of these pens is quite good and you don't feel to pull them apart and the same question about re-using some of these pens components to created your own pens, I'm not sure if that would be a feasible option with the enormous amounts of new pen kits on the market with much better prices than what they were, some years back, competition and design aspects have boasted the pen industry significantly, in my opinion.

If I was making pens for a living, I would probably consider the re-use of some of the eBay pens to create my own, or maybe not...!

Cheers
George

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Low cost manufacturing is something the Chinese are very good at doing. Their labor costs are typically less than $1 per hour with no benefits; their shops are small and crowded with few amenities; the equipment typically not high tech for these items. If you were to weigh the pen, it is probably less than 1/4 pound. The raw materials used such as steel and plastic are less than $1/pound. Gold plating is very thin. When I was working, we bought many items from China considerably more complex than a pen for a few dollars per item. My guess is that their costs are $2 or less including labor and materials. Add in economy shipping and they still make a nice profit.

jttheclockman

Low cost manufacturing is something the Chinese are very good at doing. Their labor costs are typically less than $1 per hour with no benefits; their shops are small and crowded with few amenities; the equipment typically not high tech for these items. If you were to weigh the pen, it is probably less than 1/4 pound. The raw materials used such as steel and plastic are less than $1/pound. Gold plating is very thin. When I was working, we bought many items from China considerably more complex than a pen for a few dollars per item. My guess is that their costs are $2 or less including labor and materials. Add in economy shipping and they still make a nice profit.

Bruce, not sure about the light weight stuff. The pens I have are equivalent to a full size majestic. The fit and finish are spot on. No way for me to tell about plating but as I said not a bad pen at all and if sold next to one of our so called premium pens and no words spoken it would be hard to tell at least from this novice turner.

plantman

John: I had Jinhoa custom make two pens for our 50th wedding anniversary. Among other things I ordered were 6 of these $5.00 pens that I was going to use the nibs for kit-less projects. All pens I ordered, regardless of price, $2500-$5 were of the highest quality and craftsmanship!! I still have the 6 $5.00 pens, and haven't had the heart to take them apart because they look and write so well. The more expensive pens are the crowning jewels of my collection . And, yes, It's hard to believe that such quality and craftsmanship can come at such a low price. It's also hard to believe the no cost shipping and 10 day delivery. Custom made pens took 3 months, but was well worth the wait. Jim S

jttheclockman

Here is a great article on this subject:

How does China make such cheap fountain pens?

This is a great article and it is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to differences between China and the USA and other countries. Just one small item and multiply that by 10000's and you have the answer. We can never compete with this but it does explain the how. Thanks for posting. Interesting read.

Top Bottom