Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Oil Hardening Steel 36" length

McMaster Part #8893k78.. $5.63
Enco Part #422-1317....... $5.40

McMaster carries more types of steel, if you compare same type, prices are a bit closer.
McMaster's catalog can be a bit confusing to use.

FWIW .4218 = 10.7mm

Yeah, I must have been comparing apples and oranges. When I looked back Enco was only about $1.47 a rod less (3.53 compared to 5.00) for the same stuff that I ordered.

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ryan

Just an FYI for anyone who wants to know. I used the bushings from the softgrip pen and they fit perfectly into the tubes of a gents pen. I did not have a jacobs chuck so I had to get creative by using my mandrel.

Now if I file a flat on one of those bushings you could make a pin chuck using you mandrel instead of a chuck.

Ryan

jwoodwright

Just a thought... Why not use rod the same size as the bushing, turn down to inside size and then add flat for pin[?]

Of course this may be the Percocet talking. Siatica[?] Has me down and out for the last Month...[:(][xx(]

vick

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Just a thought... Why not use rod the same size as the bushing, turn down to inside size and then add flat for pin[?]

Of course this may be the Percocet talking. Siatica[?] Has me down and out for the last Month...[:(][xx(]

You would have to waste a lot of metal this way, and it would increase production time quite a bit (taking off the extra metal). With him using the nearest sized drill rod you can guarentee that he is removeing less that 1/64 of material.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Just a thought... Why not use rod the same size as the bushing, turn down to inside size and then add flat for pin[?]

That is the way I am going to make one. No mass production here[8D]

Fangar

Thanks guys,

I made a few of them this weekend, but then had some issues with the milling machine. I need to get a better cutter (Carbide). I am going to do dump a few bucks and do a large production run soon. It might be a couple of weeks though. Very sorry for the delay. I will post up a thread in the Individual Classifieds when I get them done.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom