How much Wood Could a Pin Chuck, Chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

Today I had a little time with Dad's Metal Lathe and milling machine. I turned some stock down and milled out a nice Pin Chuck to fit the baron small tube. I also turned an aluminum bushing that slides over the pin chuck to size the end of the baron that will accept the nib fittings.

I got to thinking that there might be others who would like a pin chuck, but don't have the tools or possibly the know how about making their own. If there was enough interest, I might be able to get some together with the bushing for the barons. Just chumming the waters here to see if there is even any interest. Not sure what they would go for, but I am sure they would be fairly inexpensive.

Comments, Questions, Suggestions.

Fangar

PenWorks

I would opt for one, would take a gents to if you and the old man get busy. [:D]
I miss my pops, he worked a machine lathe for 40 years, then died to soon. I could have kept him real busy cutting threads for me.

Fangar

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />I would opt for one, would take a gents to if you and the old man get busy. [:D]
I miss my pops, he worked a machine lathe for 40 years, then died to soon. I could have kept him real busy cutting threads for me.

I know what you had Anthony. My old man can make anything, though I fear he is not in the best of health. Fortunately about 10% of his skill rubbed off on me... I hope... My Grandpa (His Dad) died at 97 years old. He was a peach.

What is the Inner Diamter of the gents tube for the barrel end? I have not made one of those. The Baron is 23/64".

Fangar

btboone

I had never heard of one until I came here either, Larry. It's a round metal shaft that fits fairly tightly into a tube, in this case, the brass tubes that the pens are made on. The shaft has a flat that is ground on one or more sides, and a cylindrical roller rides on that flat. It works like a roller clutch in that the cylinderical roller gets wedged between the flat and the tube. It allows someone to turn a part only holding onto the inside of the tube, so a pen with a closed end can be made this way.

vick

I have a picture of one I made here

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9322&SearchTerms=pin,chuck

also a link in their to a long discussion about pin chucks

It would depend on the price but I might be interested.

Fangar

Vick posted a photo of a great example. The problem is that the closest to a Baron inside you can find in a bolt is 3/8" which is too large. You pretty much need a different chuck for each of the inner diameter pen tubes you inted on turning. The good thing is that a 10mm Cigar is the same as the baron lower tube. So you get a two-fer.

Anthony. I will look into those sizes. I might just try to do the Baron's for now as the setup of the lathe and milling machine is critical. I will look into it though.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Larry
scroll down about half way down on this page
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/tips.htm

That is another good example Ron. However just as a side note, that design is more fitting for a bottle stopper. A Pen blank (At least for a rollerball type) has to be drilled deeper. The filed groove like in vicks example is nice as the pin stays put inside of the tool's slot.

Fangar

Fangar

<br />Fangar

Couldn't you use drill rod?

Exactly. I didn't have any on hand, so I turned a piece of 3/8" stainless down a hair. The drill rod would work out better. It is fairly inexpensive too. The bushing for a Baron is just under a 1/2". I used a piece of aluminum, as it was easier to turn and bore, but some nice steel tubing would work well for that and hold up better to bumps with the tools.

Fangar

woodscavenger

Hey guys, if you don't have a metal lathe in your back pocket modify the 10mm insert that comes with the barrel trimmer kit. I cut a slot in mine and it works great as a pin chuck for the Barons. It still works great as a barrel trimmmer insert.

PenWorks

James the bit is a 15/32 for the gent bottom tube. Don't knock yourself out over it. If you do fine, if not, fine to. I just thought you would want one for yourself as well. Can't believe you haven't made a Statesmen or Gent pen. [:D]

vick

Originally posted by Fangar
<br /> You pretty much need a different chuck for each of the inner diameter pen tubes you inted on turning.
Fangar

I tried sizing different tubes useing a trasfer punch set that goes by 64th and of course none of the tubes inside diameter matches a standard size. It is amazing how big a 64th seems now. My idea was to by drill rod in the right size and just have to file the pin cutout. Well back to the drawing board. I have a couple ideas in the works still if this does not work out.

Woodscavenger - I think you have a real good idea my only concern would be that it would not be long enough for a closed end pen with out the inside of the tube being unsupported internally while turning. Did you have any problems with that, especially after you parted the end and were unsupported by the tail stock?

vick

<br />Mike

Did you look into metric sized drill rods?
I did not think of that. To tell the truth I am not set up to measure metric. If anyone else is hint hint

wayneis

Fangar, I'd be in for any of the sizes, Baron, Gent and both the pen top and bottom. That way we could make a closed end for the top and bottom.

Wayne

Fangar

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />James the bit is a 15/32 for the gent bottom tube. Don't knock yourself out over it. If you do fine, if not, fine to. I just thought you would want one for yourself as well. <b>Can't believe you haven't made a Statesmen or Gent pen</b>. [:D]

I know, I know.

Fangar

Fangar

Looks like there might be enough interest. Been doing a bit of research. I would like to get some input of pricing. I was thinking in the range of 15 bucks for the pin, chuck and bushing. That would cover any paypal fees and also include shipping. I think what I will do is start with the Baron and Gent (Bottom tube only) for now. I will make up a bunch of them and then post in the Individual classifieds when ready. Does that sound reasonable?

Fangar

Jim Boyd

OK let me see if I understand what a pin chuck is. A rod the diameter of the particular tube of the pen you are working with. This rod has a flat milled in it. The depth of this flat when combined with the diameter of a small nail equals the diameter of the rod. The small nail is placed on the flat and the pen tube is inserted over the rod and nail. Turning the tube causes the nail to roll on the flat and wedges inside the tube, effectively holding it in place so it can be turned. Correct? What is the bushing you speak of for?

Fangar

Jim,

The bushing is what you turn the end of the pen down to. Just like when you turn a Baron or a Gent. The only difference is that the hole is drilled out to slide over the rod that the pin chuck is made from.

So a Baron bushing which is around .488 or so +- has a hole in the center for the 7mm mandrel. The bushings I make for the Pin Chucks have a 23/64" hole in the center to mate with the inner diamter of the 10mm tube. The Gents woould be around 27/64" or whatever the proper size is. (Still have to look intot hat one). Hope that helps.

Fangar

Fangar

Fangar

Here is a quick example I drew up for the Baron. Me like Pictures... Pictures GOOD!

200510121100_pinchuck1.jpg

2005101211015_pinchuck2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

PenWorks

Price sounds good to me James, when ever you get to them, save me one.
If the pin chuck looks as good as your drawings, they should be worth every penny [:D]

Fangar

Thanks guys. I ordered up some drill rods tonight for the Baron size as well as the pins. I am going to hold off on the Gents for now. I don't have any around and want to be sure of the sizing before I order a bunch of rod stock. I will likely get some Gents in the near future and make some test chucks to be sure they function properly first.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

I just checked another supplier and found that McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has drill rod in fractional, lettered, numbered and metric sizes.
For future reference.

Fangar

Ron,

Thanks for the link. That place is very pricey compared to enco (About 4 times as much). Also, the size for the gent is .428 ID according to Anthony. That is 10.88 mm. So metric from them won't work, since they only have whole sizes. 27/64 is .4218 which is as close to .428 as I can find. 7/16 or .4375 is the next size up and obviously too large. I think the 27/64 would be close enough for the Gents, but want to check first. Wayne said he would sent me a lower tube to get things rolling. That would be great so I could make a tool and make sure it actually works first.

Thanks for the assist.

Fangar

Oil Hardening Steel 36" length

McMaster Part #8893k78.. $5.63
Enco Part #422-1317....... $5.40

McMaster carries more types of steel, if you compare same type, prices are a bit closer.
McMaster's catalog can be a bit confusing to use.

FWIW .4218 = 10.7mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom