How many Pen Kits are Too Many???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

Hello, I have been turning pens for about 2 years now..over the last 2 years I have acquired over 1500 pen kits. and enough lumber to make probably over Hundred Thousand pens, That is if you count birdseye, curly, and spalted maple.

Would you say that I have gone too far with them????
I hardly have the time to make them anymore do to work.

Do you think they hold there value enough, so that I could be able to get my money back out. If I were to sell the Kits, say on ebay??

I love making pens, But somethings, I think that I just went alittle over Borad, and that If I would of put all the money That I have spent on pen kits, and other pen making stuff, in somthing else, I would of done better.

so do you think That I could get most of my money back, If I were to sell most of them?

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

You could probably sell most kits for close to what you paid. I assume that you got good quantity discounts with your purchases. Some discontinued kits (Emperor, Lotus...) may go for more than your purchase price.

hanau

Well seems like you did go overboard. sorry to say they don't hold there value but I will gladly take it off your hands.

Just box it all up and send it parcel post and You will feel better. :)

My advice put them away and keep them just in case you do have time to get back to turing.

I got rid off all my turning stuff a few years ago and now I am replacing it all.

Woodlvr

Maybe sell some of them here and you can make some of your costs back. I bet there would be a great deal of interest on here for certain types of kits. I have gone through my kits and did not realize that they are as old as they are and I probably not sell them for 25% of what I paid for them. Just my 2 cents. Good luck:)

PS I will pay for all of the shipping if you send them to me, no one has offered this:biggrin:

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There would be less cost to sell them through here than sell them on Ebay and pay the fianl value fees. Either way your going to have your work cut out for you if you sell them individually.

ctubbs

Looks to me like you are all setup to have a bunch of fun when you have some time. On selling the kits and wood, do you need the money now? If not, my suggestion is to hang onto them both along with your tools and equipment. They are not eating any oats right now and if they are sold today, you would most likely loose some money on them. Put a good coating of rust preventative on your bare metal parts of your equipment until you have the time to put it back into service and allow it to rest up for the big job ahead of making all those beautiful pens. My $0.02 and as always YMMV.
Charles

corian king

If it were me and I wanted to get rid of them I would do one of two ways.I would either write down all you have and post it as one big sale or I would break it up and do it in 5 or six lots.just my thoughts!
Good Luck!

Len Shreck

Box Lots and Grab Boxes... then take bids on them either by weight or by your opinion... take some of those kits and some of this wood and put it in a box and sell them that way people wont know exactly what they are getting but sometimes thats half the fun. Maybe a fun way to do it and maybe make more money back :biggrin:
I would prob sell some of the kits and wood that you have excess amounts of and then keep a nice little stockpile just in case you get time, unless you need the money then things would be different. my .02 Len

Top Bottom