How many here from San antonio or nearby city

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

I'm considering relocating to San Antonio but my main concern is the weather. People have told me it gets very hot in the summer and sometimes they have tornados :-O . Is this true? I live in a place where the highest temperature rarely passes the 90 . For the most part of the year it's in the 50s to 70s. I'd like to hear from you guys what do you like or don't like about this city.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I'm considering relocating to San Antonio but my main concern is the weather. People have told me it gets very hot in the summer and sometimes they have tornados :-O . Is this true? I live in a place where the highest temperature rarely passes the 90 . For the most part of the year it's in the 50s to 70s. I'd like to hear from you guys what do you like or don't like about this city.

why in the world would you want to move away from that??? Tired of all that perfect weather are you???:)

mrburls

It's a great city with lots to do. WE got the SPURS. But it does go into the 100's quiet a few days out of the summer. In fact all of the summer you will be looking at upper 80's and 90's for sure. I moved here from Pa. and I didn't think I would like the heat but you're in air conditioning most of the time. Home, work and driving everywhere. So not so bad unless you have to work outside.
And we have some pen turners here and a meeting once a month.
Keith "mrburls"

Drewboy22

I love Texas and I like San Antonio. i had to downgrade to "Like" because of traffic.

Heat does not really bother me that much so 100* days are ok with me. We do have a Great pen turning group and there is A LOT of things to do in the area.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Like Keith said, it will be hot in the summer, but A/C is your friend. Plan on at least a window unit for your shop. Temps in SA are similar to what we get in the Houston area, but you won't have nearly our humidity to deal with, so that is a plus.

Tornadoes are not a problem in SA. Sure, they are possible, but they are only a regular threat in north Texas. Occasional low area flooding can occur, so make sure to research your home's location & flood history.

Kenny Durrant

Tornados, hurricanes,earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards and the list goes on. Everyone has their issues so you have to go with being close to family and making a living. The temps you discribed would be hard to leave but from what I hear the cost of living in Cal. is pretty high. I was born and raised in Texas and although we have our problems I'm still partial to this state.

I was born and raised in East Texas - about midway between Dallas and Houston.. and lived in the Houston area for 25 years.... I've retired to Tennessee because it's less expensive to live here and initially my youngest daughter and oldest granddaughters (actually my wife's) lived here... love the Tennessee area, but if I did move back to Texas, my choice would be the hill country between San Antonio and Austin... high summer temperatures aren't a deterrent for me.

I remember the Salinas area too... I lived in the Bay area, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Sunnyvale and Novato over a 15 year period... and have a daughter in Aptos.

flyitfast

Hi Erik,
I have lived in San Antonio for over30 years and I don't ever plan to leave!! (I moved here from Illinois - thanks to the military)

Yes, it gets hot here but that, and traffic, are something we have learned to live with. After those, this is a great city to live in. Lots to see and do, great people, relatively low cost of living, SPURS, several colleges and universities, lots of good churches, and IAP Chapter Alamo Penturners! We even have a Woodcraft :biggrin: We aren't too far from the Gulf Coast either.

We look forward to you joining us in the future.
Gordon

Erik831

Thanks a lot for all the comments, I now want to move even faster. Most of what I read about SA is good. Except what others have mentioned here about traffic and weather. Besides that it looks like a nice city to live in. It has everything I need/want. I'm hoping to go visit this year for a couple of weeks. The cost of living here in California is very high, cheapest house on the market here where I live sells for $300k and most of them are fixer upper. Would it be a good idea to visit SA in the summer to get an idea of how hot it gets? I'm ok with hot weather I grew up in a very warm city in Mexico but my wife has always lived here. Any other stuff to consider about the city?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Try to find a place outside of the city limits (whether its SA or a suburb) to avoid paying city property taxes. We don't have an income tax here in Texas, but property taxes can be a killer - particularly if you live inside the city limits of any city in the state. Living in the county also allows you to avoid stupid city building restrictions & permits.

Cmiles1985

I live two hours away from SA (outside of Corpus Christi). This is the only geographical area in which I've lived, and that likely won't change until I'm too senile to care. I love it here, but I also really dislike cold weather. The 105+ summer time heat index doesn't really bug me. As for San Antonio, we love it. My kids love to visit SA for a quick vacation. I think the San Antonio area does have something to offer every demographic.

WalkOn

There's nothing like Texas. I always enjoyed visiting San Antonio. Lots of things to do, great; people, food, music, and while it can get hot - you just need to find your local ice house for a cold beer. Lived in Houston and Tomball for 24 years, (still a big Astros fan) before moving back east for family and work. Hope to retire soon and would like to return to "the home of the armadillo." Miss it a lot.

Kev

Top Bottom