how to make a fake ice cream spill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioso

hello,
first what I need, then why:
I want to make a fake ice cream spill, similar to these ones:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=fake+...=wi&biw=1366&bih=622&sei=eyvNTu3mF-nZ0QGmvvEG

I'm wondering what resin is readily available (hopefully not a 2 part thing but something I can even find in a craft store), can be pigmented, and dries thick and glossy.
I see people on the web using elmer glue, but I don't think it looks realistic, as it dries thin and dull.

why:

my mother in law and I have a "thing" going whenever we visit about all the kids (and adults, for that matter) staying off her blue velvet couch. I told my wife that one time I will pull the fake spill thing on her. (I know I can buy these, but I don't want to spend +30$, +shipping to canada. also, this way I can use whatever props I want).

if this works out I promise to upload the video for members...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
it may take some work but my thoughts are this.
Get a can of insulating foam. Some wax, or butchers paper.
Spray different size "blobs/globs" on the wax paper.
when the foam has cured and set, carve out as needed.

studioso

thank you for your input.
ther shouldn't be any mold involved: you just tip over the cup/holder over some wax paper, and let it harden, I'm thinking.

Bobalu

+1 on the canned insulating foam. The stuff I get at Ace comes in three viscosities. I would go with the thickest stuff, meant to fill larger voids.

Probably not a usable idea with furniture, but how about mashed potatoes? These would be easy to form into an ice cream glob and let dry until they got an outer crust. A little wax paper glued to the base would isolate it from the furniture.

For what its worth, most of the pics of ice cream on the sides of the package are not really ice cream, but mashed potatoes. Using real ice cream would be difficult, as the photo lights melt it too fast. The sauces and condiments are usually Photo-Shopped in. The different colors for different flavors are done the same way. DAMHIKT

navycop

thank you for your input.
ther shouldn't be any mold involved: you just tip over the cup/holder over some wax paper, and let it harden, I'm thinking.
That might work for the ones with cans and bottles. Ice cream needs to be in somekind of mounds. You can probally get a block of foam like the florest use to stick flowers in or model railroads use for moutains. Then with a heat knife carve out some ice cream mounds.

firewhatfire

Blue foam wall insulation board. Glue with Elmer's carve to shape spay with paint color of choice. Cheap and easy less than 5 bucks. Can find insulation board scraps on construction sites.

Top Bottom