How to Identify a Pen Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

.... what about the one who's got his hands glued together around his wife?

How about the one in the corner who is staring at the finish of a handmade pen and screaming about the scratch that the waiter put on it when they dropped it, after asking to borrow it for just a moment when his own pen ran out of ink?

Or perhaps the one that just walked in off the street, asking if anybody wants that wind-broken branch that came off the tree just outside the door?

studioseven

Skie,
I see you are from Lawton. A very long time ago, I got the itch to see the world and went and seen an Army recruiter. At that time, the Army would let you pick out a base for you first duty assignment (after boot camp and training). I told the recruiter I would like to go out west. This recruiter responded with Korea. I told him that was too far west. He then suggested Ft Sill. I had to ask where that was. When he said Oklahoma I said that sounded perfect and had the opportunity to spend 18 months there. I actually met my wife-to-be there and had to sneak across the Texas-Oklahoma border to get married. That was forty some years ago. Lawton-Ft Sill was the best duty assignment I ever had.

Seven

Skie_M

..... There's still nothing to see, out here.

It's like Tattoine .... the backwaters of the galaxy ....

Have to go to Dallas or OKC to find an IMAX theatre with 3D .... cant keep the waterpark open ... they're legalizing marajuana here soon, I think ...

Met my fair share of army guys and their young wives (or girlfriends) while delivering pizza to hotel rooms around graduation time .... wowee, the stories I could tell....

You ever seen that cliche moment in films where the girl goes to the door loosely wrapped in a towel (WITHOUT THE ENDS TUCKED) to get the pizza and then she reaches for the pizza only to discover that without her arms down the towel has nothing holding it up and the pizza guy gets a face full of OMGYOUAREREALLYPRETTYMAAM? Yeah ... been there many times. Trust me, things get much weirder when the GUY comes to the door and does it.

I like your sig/quote, btw .... and I know what it's derived from. :)
"There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, and those who don't."

Woodchipper

Pick your duty station? Never heard of that. Were we in the same army?
Penturners can be identified by those stopping at the curb to see what wood is being discarded and how many blanks can be cut from it.

Woodchipper

SJSher, good observation. Their kids don't have shoes and, for school, use pencil stubs they find at the golf course. They also have cardboard signs that say, "Will work for wood."

leehljp

Member Liaison
This pen turner is noticed by his family by the way he looks at every part of every tree he passes by and mumbles: "Too straight; not enough limbs; That one is just right, it has several hundred pens with character in it; here is a good one - Who owns this property, wonder if I could make him a few pens for those gnarly limbs?That bush over there, wonder if it would make a good pen; that rose bush has big stalks, wonder what it looks like under the thorns! Hey, look at that stump, some good pens there!"

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You can tell a pen turner by his IAP T-shirt...IAP hat...drinking from his IAP mug...using his pen he turned him/herself....go outside and see an IAP window sticker on their vehicle. Just a few indicators.

Top Bottom