How I make Pendants

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I had someone ask how I make pendants, so here is my process. It's easy and fun.

I use a round waste block mounted with cole jaws, you can use a waste block screwed to a face plate if you do not have cole jaws. The cole jaws lets me use both sides of the waste block. I can get several pendants out of each side.

IMG_1852.jpg

I then mount my blank with double stick tape

IMG_1853.jpg

I then turn the blank round, turn the contour, sand and finish

IMG_1854.jpg

I then remount the blank off center

IMG_1856.jpg

I then cut in the hole, sand and finish

IMG_1857.jpg

You can determine the size of the hole by where you put your new center- the size of the hole has to be smaller as you move further away from the original center. The appearance of the hole can differ depending on the contour and depth of the round disk and the angle at which you cut in the hole. My wife has me making several of these as gifts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for sharing ... nice work Cody !!!!

I am surprised that the double-sided tape holds. . Or is it a kind of putty-like "tape" ?

Also, when you are turning the contour on the second face of the pendant, you have the first curved surface to "stick" .... hmmm .... I just read your answer above ... you probably do the second face contour off the lathe .... right ?

Oh, and what type of drill do you use for the hole ... brad point because of the curved pendant surface ?

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I am surprised that the double-sided tape holds. . Or is it a kind of putty-like "tape" ?

Also, when you are turning the contour on the second face of the pendant, you have the first curved surface to "stick" .... hmmm .... I just read your answer above ... you probably do the second face contour off the lathe .... right ?

Oh, and what type of drill do you use for the hole ... brad point because of the curved pendant surface ?

The pendants are one sided, so no special tape is needed. One side is flat. I use a home made detail shearing tool for boring. You can use a small hollowing tool, or a ewt tool as well.

JimB

You would be surprised at what double sided tape can hold. I've held platters up to 11" taped to a faceplate without any problems.

Charlie_W

You would be surprised at what double sided tape can hold. I've held platters up to 11" taped to a faceplate without any problems.

Yup, several years ago, one of our club members demonstrated turning a platter(10"-12") totally with double stick tape...start to finish....both sides.

I use the double stick tape from Woodcraft. For the pendants, you don't even need full coverage with the tape.

This doesn't mean you should stand in the firing line when turning. One should always embrace common sense safety.

Top Bottom