How Do You Store Your Bandsaw Blades??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Trying to figure out the best way to store my bandsaw blades - Any and all ideas appreciated!!

Sue

Sue I fold them up and hang them on some hooks behind my bandsaw. Sometimes I do not even bother folding if I am changing often. Just some simple nails and good to go. Here is a video of how to fold if interested. Many more on the web too. One little tip. On the backside of the blade you may want to want to write the specs on the blade. Good for reordering and sometimes blades start to all look alike.

how to fold a bandsaw blade - Bing video

robutacion

If possible, I prefer to store the new blades high up in the workshop and not folded with the teeth against the wall to prevent accidents.

Depending on the blade size, thickness and width, unfolding these blades can be very dangerous and generally, the step where most cuts happen.

Folding these thicker blades is also a bad idea because the metal get stress cracks from being forced into diameters well under recommended. This has a lot to do also with bandsaw wheels under 16" and less, heavy duty ripping blades in particular, are very prone to crack in many places installed is these small bandsaws, they won't last more than a few hours or less.

I use a 16" bandsaw and do a lot of ripping so, I try to get as much work out of a blade as possible however, I have decided to use blades that are specially effective on bandsaws of or over 24" wheels, they are thick 1 TPI and 40mm body my wheels are 2" wide so, plenty of room.

I works like a beauty, it cuts wood straight and fast however, 2 hours is all I get out of them and at AU$80 each, it's an investment I can not afford and I don't want to fold or unfold, they are dangerous.

Be careful how you unfold them and never make them small loops, never any smaller than the diameter of your bandsaw wheels.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom