How do I identify type of plastic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I have a sheet of about 2x4 of 1/2 clear plastic. I want to use it to make a stabilization chamber, but in order to glue it I need to know what kind of material it is. I am able to use a commercial heat gun to heat it enough that I can bend corners with it, and I can cut it with a table saw. I made a plate for the top of my pressure pot to use as a vacuum chamber lid and it works great there, but I would prefer to make a dedicated vacuum chamber. Any ideas how to identify the type of materials it is?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nedge

Hi Mitch,
I work with clear plastic at work for Park ID signs, mostly Lexan. The difference between Lexan and Plexiglass is that you can bend lexan and it wont break where plexiglass will. I did a google search Lexan and Plexiglass characteristics and there are more answers there.
Hope this helped you.
Ed

Last edited:

wyone

So are you saying plexi will not bend even under heat? I will go google some more. The material is 1/2 thick and has pretty much no flex to it, but I had a leftover piece of it and used my heat gun (industrial type) to warm it enough that I was able to bend it.

toddlajoie

Plexi will bend with heat, I've done that, but beyond that I can't say, other than maybe get a small amount of bonder for each and try to glue up a couple of scraps...

If I understand Ed's comment, Lexan should bend without heat, while plexi will crack/shatter (I'm familiar with the shattering of plexi, but not Lexan blending...)

wyone

Well I would just get a small bottle of each type of bonder, but no body seems to have it in stock and I have to order it. I am not opposed to paying for it, but if I order the wrong thing and it is totally useless to me, well you understand I am sure... that money could be more BLANKS! :)

Top Bottom