How big a bowl do you think this would turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

We were in Richmond, VA this weekend and went to the Tradegar Iron Works, an historic site where they made about 1200 cannon for the confederacy. One of the things on display was this lathe. The sign next to it said it was actually used to shape cannon!

Thought I'd share.

200511124636_Cannon%20Lathe%202%20-%20small.jpg

200511124651_Cannon%20Lathe%20-%20small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />Did they mention if it is variable speed?
Jim

Look like by the white wheels at the left it was a variable speeds, I think, but never though that canon was made on lathe, I though that canon was pour in mould in foundery ( and maybe turn for a finish ) did they use EEE, or CA [:D][:D] sorry couldn't help

Edit BTW nice photos Jim
Edit 2 Sorry Jim didn't answer to your question about a bowl I would say 2' radius max as confederation canon was light if I got good menory on my history

JimGo

LOL@Serge

I couldn't believe they actually turned the cannon either, Serge, but that's what the sign said. The iron works actually had a foundry, and they had models of how some cannon were cast, so I too was surprised by the sign. The National Parks Service people there were a little odd, so I didn't want to bother them to verify. (no offense to any NPS employees; I've met some really nice ones other places!)

Czarcastic

The cannon was cast. The lathe was used for final shaping and for the boring abd rifling.

Just in case you are interested, there is a bunch of information HERE

"... The rough casting was placed in a lathe and the exterior turned and finished. The cannon was bored, and then the trunnions were machined to size...

JimGo

Thanks Steven! I thought that was what actually happened, and had tried to find this kind of info, but had kept my search focused on Tradegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom