Hot Tea Recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I drink coffee, lots of coffee. About once a year, I try to start limiting myself to one large cup a day (about 16 ounces). This usually lasts for a month or so, and then I fall right back into my same old routine, around 4 to 6 large cups or more. The caffeine makes me a little jittery eventually, but the worst part is the cream and sugar, which I don't go without. I recently decided to try tea and it turns out that I really enjoy it. I'm thinking this will be a healthier alternative, maybe I will be able to limit myself to that one cup of coffee indefinitely. Anyway, anybody have any recommendations for tea that you really love? My favorite so far is Hibiscus -- I enjoy sweet and fruity, but can go for bitter as well.

monophoto

Coffee in the morning, black - one cup at breakfast, and a second cup (often espresso) mid-morning.

Thereafter, tea. I don't like the herbal stuff. Ordinary black tea (wife has been getting Newman's Own brand because it's 'organic') is fine. No sugar or creme.

In the summer, switch to iced tea - same brand as in the winter, but having grown up in the South, I insist that it has to be sweet.

That said, however, as I get older, I've come to appreciate how refreshing plain old water can be. One of the best investments we made was when we built our house, we installed a water softener, and also a reverse-osmosis drinking water filtration system for potable water in the kitchen. We use RO water to make both coffee and tea (they taste much better), and also plain drinking water. I refuse to pay the prices they get for 'designer water' when the stuff from our RO system tastes exactly the same.

Dehn0045

Haha....I thought you wanted tea, but you actually mean hot flower flavour juice....:eek:
Try good old Builders Tea or Breakfast Tea.......forget all that fancy pansy other muck:biggrin:

Being a country kid from Minnesota, if its in the Tea isles at the grocery story, its tea. But I see your point, and had to do a little searching to learn the difference, though I could obviously taste the difference. I enjoy both the traditional "tea" as well as the herbal varieties. One question, on the NON-"fancy pansy" (your words, not mine), is there much difference in the taste between the different brands? Should I just go with cheap stuff and not worry about it?

Although not hot, I do like an occasional "Long Island." :)

Duly noted :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
One question, on the NON-"fancy pansy" (your words, not mine), is there much difference in the taste between the different brands? Should I just go with cheap stuff and not worry about it?
:

I haven't got a clue....I can't stand the stuff :biggrin:, but my wife drinks gallons of straight black tea that looks like bitumen and I'm not brave enough to argue with her....She drinks Tetleys:wink:

stonepecker

In the winter I drink all kinds of hot tea. AND I use real sugar. 5-10 cups a day depending how much I am outside. My favorite tea is still Lipton but I make it as sun tea. Gallon and a half glass jar with lid. Fill to over a gallon. 10-12 tea bags and set it in the sun of the picture window that faces south.
Real sunny days.......one day. Cloudy days.......3 days. Heat it up in the microwave.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You mean people drink tea that isn't iced and sweet??

That reminds me......several years ago a colleague from Yorkshire (who REALLY love their tea ) and I were sitting in a bar in Mount Pleasant, PA...south of Pittsburgh. I ordered a beer and my mate said he really wanted a cup of tea....:eek:
The barmaid looked at him like he just crawled out of the woodwork and about a hour later she brought him a big pitcher of iced tea with all kinds of crap in it.
The look on his face was priceless and I can still remember the pain in my nose from snorting my ice cold beer !!:biggrin:

bradbn4

Another nod to Celestial Seasonings, for black tea I prefer an orange pekoe black tea.

Although some tea drinkers assume that orange pekoe is a distinctive variety of tea, it is actually a term applied to the largest leaf grade for black teas from Sri Lanka and southern India, the sources of most of the world's orange pekoe tea.

For mourning consumption, a good British breakfast tea can work well. There are very few non-caffeine teas I find worth while to drink. Some of the Celestial Seasoning berry style works well when served cold. Refreshing, but tart if you don't add sugar.

lyonsacc

Check out Upton Tea online.
You can get a bunch of little samples to try them out.

Some of my favorites:
TC20 - Ceylon BOP is a good mild black tea
TE36 Cinnamon Chia is spicy and yummy
TE93 Melange de Chamonix - black with a hint of cocoa

Woodchipper

Go for decaffeinated tea. A lot of smaller grocery stores don't carry it. Actually tea has more caffeine per cup than coffee. Wife and I cut off caffeine at lunch. Tea or coffee react so we are awake half the night. Oh, the joys of getting old! :curse:
I like a breakfast tea or Lord Grey tea.

Last edited:

ladycop322

T

I am an avid tea drinker, both hot and cold. I love love love Numi Earl Gray Tea....delish! Also black tea and Tazo Passion Tea...I like that one better cold than hot.....mmmmm mmmmm

ladycop322

Tea Suggestions

I am an avid tea drinker, both hot and cold. I love love love Numi Earl Gray Tea....delish! Also black tea and Tazo Passion Tea...I like that one better cold than hot.....mmmmm mmmmm

ajollydds

This is an awesome thread. You asked for tea recommendations and got 100 different opinions [emoji41].

Does this mean the baby is sleeping through the night?

Tea is a way of life in India, my parents prefer Tetley as Steven mentioned.

I'll also give a nod to celestial seasonings as they have a ton of variety and they use good ingredients.

sbwertz

The Good Earth original caffeine free is made with rooibos, not regular tea. (also called African Red Tea.) It is flavored similar to Constant Comment...heavy on the orange and cinnamon. I really like it. Good Earth makes a number of different teas, but this is the one in the dark brown and orange box. I usually drink about a quart a day as hot tea. I have a giant 30 oz cup I make it in!

Dehn0045

This is an awesome thread. You asked for tea recommendations and got 100 different opinions [emoji41].

Does this mean the baby is sleeping through the night?

Tea is a way of life in India, my parents prefer Tetley as Steven mentioned.

I'll also give a nod to celestial seasonings as they have a ton of variety and they use good ingredients.

My next thread will be "what is your favorite CA finish method"

We got lucky, after about 2 weeks she has been sleeping though the night. She does two straight 5-hour stretches and only wakes to eat, and I'm not much help in that department. She'll get her smarts and good looks from her mother, but hopefully she continues to sleep like Daddy.

dogcatcher

Back in the early 1960's we lived in USAF Base housing in Spain. Next door to us lived a Master Sergeant that a British War Bride. She was the sweetest lady, but was bound and determined to make gentlemen out of wild west Texas boys. Her and my mother became great friends, and every afternoon the 2 of them had tea together. Eventually they included us 3 boys and my sister in their "tea time". We called her Miss Amelia, but every afternoon she would holler at us kids and tell us to tell mom that it was tea time.

That also meant cleaning up our mess and making ourselves presentable. Miss Amelia could bake some good desserts, and my mother of German descent was also a good baker of desserts, so that was an incentive. Miss Amelia would make each of a cup of tea and a small plate with some sort of cookies, sweet rolls etc. and we would "pig" out. I have no clue of the brand of tea she used, never thought of it, but I know she would always get it when she went home to London.

She failed miserably in making gentlemen out of us, today we drink iced tea. But I have never forgotten her routine, and the memories she created are still priceless today.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a tea drinker anymore... when I do drink it, it's iced tea, non-sweetened. I grew up on my mother's ice tea, or maybe I should call it tea flavored sugar... she liked it with a cup or more sugar in a half gallon of tea... two glasses and I was in sugar shock... She usually used Lipton.

Since we got our Kuerigh coffee maker, I usually stop at two cups in the morning.... but in all the years I worked, I sat with a cup of black coffee on my desk on one of those little heater plates from the time I arrived until I left for the night... my work days were often 10 to 14 hours a day. My last boss complained that his coffee expense doubled when I came to work there. We had about 10+ office employees and they hated it when I made coffee.... most would always add water to dilute it some when I made it.

Marcros

I drink coffee, lots of coffee. About once a year, I try to start limiting myself to one large cup a day (about 16 ounces). This usually lasts for a month or so, and then I fall right back into my same old routine, around 4 to 6 large cups or more. The caffeine makes me a little jittery eventually, but the worst part is the cream and sugar, which I don't go without. I recently decided to try tea and it turns out that I really enjoy it. I'm thinking this will be a healthier alternative, maybe I will be able to limit myself to that one cup of coffee indefinitely. Anyway, anybody have any recommendations for tea that you really love? My favorite so far is Hibiscus -- I enjoy sweet and fruity, but can go for bitter as well.

Yorkshire tea! I doubt that you can get it there, but I will bring you a box when I next come to Houston with work, and pop it in the mail. We have our head office there, so I come over once in a while.

until then, try t2. https://www.t2tea.com/en/us/Home

I think that there is a difference between brands, and there certainly is between the cheapest private labels and the branded ones. I have a friend who works in the tea business, and he tells me the it is generational. They spend a lot of their advertising budget trying to persuade you to buy theirs rather than just buying what your parents drank. I am not sure how much I believe this, but my mother drank tea based on the cheapest possible teabags, and it was horrible!

Looking at Walmart, because I don't know which other website to look at, I would say that twinings is about the best on offer there.

Dehn0045

Yorkshire tea! I doubt that you can get it there, but I will bring you a box when I next come to Houston with work, and pop it in the mail. We have our head office there, so I come over once in a while.

until then, try t2. https://www.t2tea.com/en/us/Home

I think that there is a difference between brands, and there certainly is between the cheapest private labels and the branded ones. I have a friend who works in the tea business, and he tells me the it is generational. They spend a lot of their advertising budget trying to persuade you to buy theirs rather than just buying what your parents drank. I am not sure how much I believe this, but my mother drank tea based on the cheapest possible teabags, and it was horrible!

Looking at Walmart, because I don't know which other website to look at, I would say that twinings is about the best on offer there.

Mark, thanks for the recommendations! It looks like I can get the Yorkshire brand on Amazon, the "Gold" seems to be preferred. The other Taylors of Harrogate also get good reviews, will definitely try it out.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You want tea? Get some REAL Tea - GREEN Tea, Ryokucha or Maccha that is mixed by using what looks like a bamboo shaving brush! :biggrin: Not that green tea stuff you see in walmart. Get the kind that lots of minerals at the bottom of the cup! :biggrin:

Dehn0045

Thanks Hank, but some of the worst desserts/treats that I have ever tasted came from Japan. It was some weird green and white version of a Kit-Kat bar that had basically zero flavor. I can only imagine that their tea is aweful, you might live forever but who wants to live like that? But hey, I'll try anything once...

MRDucks2

I learned shortly after moving to Houston in 2010 that the popsicle off of the Mexican ice cream truck that looks like strawberry is actually some type chili flavor. Went to slip it too our Mastiff when the grandkids weren't looking and he grabbed it out of my hand and swallowed the stick. Talk about good intentions gone bad.

Back on tea, how about Pu-erh? Makes think of what moldy hay would taste like, but it's not bad. Especially if mixed with the Darjeeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Tea that comes in a bag is not tea - it's the leftover crap that they sweep off the floor (or at least, that's what it tastes like to me).

Get a good variety of plain looseleaf tea - no sugary additives or flavours - just real tea leaves. We have a cup every night at 8pm-ish. If it smells like candy in the bag, you're going to have to use a ton of it to make it taste the same - and it's not really 'tea'. Just buy good, plain looseleaf tea leaves.

It's the same as my coffee philosophy - get the best beans that you can find, and use a french press, perk, or drip coffee maker, and drink it black; no, Keurig does NOT count as 'coffee'! If you have to add sugar or cream, there's a problem with your beans :)

Yes, I'm a purist (snob, I guess) when it comes to beverages.

Curly

I'm definitely on the outside looking in. ;) I despise both tea and coffee. Now give me good Dutched Cocoa and I'm very happy. Not that dehydrated powdered cow dung in a little foil packet that you dump in water. Real cocoa powder from Europe, sugar, milk and a little vanilla. I go through close to 10 kilos (22pounds) a year starting my day. Mmmmmmm!!!!!

I had a roommate that was very fussy about his tea. Came close to killing me when I washed his tea pot. Never made that mistake again. His preferred tea is Twinings English Breakfast Tea, not in bags, loose. I think it is a black tea.

Rachgard

I second Yorkshire tea. I bought mine off of amazon and love it. Also, I drink a lot of teas from China, pu'ers and so forth. I was in the Air Force as a Chinese linguist before I became a pilot and I would often sit with one of the teachers at lunch and have tea and whatever she had for lunch. The food was awful, but the tea and company were great and I remember those times fondly. I buy my Chinese loose leaf or aged tea from whatcha.com. It's owned and operated by a guy in Taiwan and he handwrites a personal letter and includes a sample of tea based on what you ordered and what he thinks you'd like. It was very charming, and there aren't many businesses doing that level of customer service anymore. Honestly, the best tea is the one you like, doesn't matter if it's cheap and easy, or a complicated bitter brew. Once you figure out what you like, you'll want to tell everyone you know as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom