Help with wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Just wondering if any of you seasoned turners can help with the identification of this wood. I rough sanded it and wet it to try and show how it looks.

b971b5b88e0d0b8a91378084b8e17cad.jpg

78dd94bfe54df525371558d72e1ab6dc.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Either cutting or turning. Actually I just put my nose to some dry blanks and they do have a distinct odour
on their own.

Last edited:

Silverado

Hi Dereck

I am not sure why no one else has jumped in with a guess here. On this type of post there are normally about 10 people that will jump in with a
guess.

DJBPenmaker

Hi Dereck

I am not sure why no one else has jumped in with a guess here. On this type of post there are normally about 10 people that will jump in with a
guess.
I think they probably don't know! However some of the photos online are almost identical in grain and colour that i think you must be right.

DJBPenmaker

Tough to chime in when the first guess is what everyone else would have said anyways.

I might ask where you obtained the stuff from?
I bought a bag of mixed exotic woods about 30 years ago and I've just come across it again. Unfortunately none of it is identified. These two pieces were the most interesting in my opinion.

robutacion

I don't think that your wood pieces are from anywhere near Australia, and while the first pic does resemble the Amboyna when wet, the second pic doesn't match it so, I don't really know.

But what made me post, was about the observations made about the possible smell of this particular wood and how one can explain it/define it. Has been many years since I've heard some news conversations about being able to send smells through the computer and the way it was explained, would be a special box with a mix of aromas controlled by computer, when necessary a code or a name would be given to the person in the conversation/discussion and that person would put that number/name in the software of the "smell's box" and it would release a spray/mist of the specified smell..!

I think that would be a great thing to have, it would be very helpful in situations like these however, I wonder what sort of "aroma" it would come out for a "fart"..!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

DJBPenmaker

I don't think that your wood pieces are from anywhere near Australia, and while the first pic does resemble the Amboyna when wet, the second pic doesn't match it so, I don't really know.

But what made me post, was about the observations made about the possible smell of this particular wood and how one can explain it/define it. Has been many years since I've heard some news conversations about being able to send smells through the computer and the way it was explained, would be a special box with a mix of aromas controlled by computer, when necessary a code or a name would be given to the person in the conversation/discussion and that person would put that number/name in the software of the "smell's box" and it would release a spray/mist of the specified smell..!

I think that would be a great thing to have, it would be very helpful in situations like these however, I wonder what sort of "aroma" it would come out for a "fart"..!:eek:[emoji3]

Cheers
George
Absolutely brilliant I'm also absolutely convinced it will happen some day, but could be open to abuse as you say. Farts can be dangerously toxic as we all know and not just wood.

robutacion

If I were ever to own one of these aroma boxes, I believe I would have presets imposed, essentially enforcing a "NO FARTS" policy. :eek: :rolleyes:

I could mention a good handful of smells that I would preset as "don't want to go there" category however and in the case of "farts" we have or may not get it's sounds signature that are as "significant", would the smells box have a sound box attached...? now that would be most interesting, huh...?:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom