Help stop the ivory ban.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

"Often the similarities between the ivories are so great that the average person could easily make a mistake. See the problem?" In your last post, you added that statement. You are correct, that is the problem! Most can't tell the difference in two week old ivory, and 25 year old ivory. So the market for ivory items continues. With any kind of ivory market, you will still get the poaching.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
"Often the similarities between the ivories are so great that the average person could easily make a mistake. See the problem?" In your last post, you added that statement. You are correct, that is the problem! Most can't tell the difference in two week old ivory, and 25 year old ivory. So the market for ivory items continues. With any kind of ivory market, you will still get the poaching.
I suggest that all people participating hers do a little reading up on elephants. African elephants are a problem and are not endangered at all. There are probably too many of them and they are very expensive to protect. They need lots of water, and tons of land to provide enough food (adults consume about 300 to 600 pounds per animal per day) and in addition they need to kept out of agricultural areas....it is no small matter and it has nothing to do with Ivory stop all poaching, stop all harvesting, stop all trade in ivory and these problems will continue to exist.

I have no skin in this game, I don't own and don't particularily want to do anything with ivory but I do object to government taking radical steps to solve a non-problem..

sbell111

As I understand your post, it appears that the solution to humans encroaching into areas where animals live is to simply kill the animals.

Many in history have agreed with you.

sbell111

Those people who believe that this ban is going to put grandma's piano at risk are either misunderstanding the ban or misrepresenting it. All the owner would have to do is show the manufacture date of the piano.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As I understand your post, it appears that the solution to humans encroaching into areas where animals live is to simply kill the animals.

Many in history have agreed with you.
You understand wrong Steve. I did not make any suggestion about how to deal with the issue. I stated what some of the problems are and one approach that I believe will have no positive effect.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Those people who believe that this ban is going to put grandma's piano at risk are either misunderstanding the ban or misrepresenting it. All the owner would have to do is show the manufacture date of the piano.
As I understand it not if Grandma's piano happened to be imported. Aside from that there are a lot of items other than Grandma's Piano. One instance, when I was in the Navy we visited Italy (several times between 1957 and 1959) and while there I purchased a couple pieces of Cameo Jewelery made from black onyx and Ivory because compared to US prices they were very inexpensive. I gave them to various women including my mother my sisters and sisters-in-law....some of them are no doubt still in the family being passed on when the women I gave them to died. Under the new rules they won't be saleable because there is no way on earth to positively establish when they were imported. I would say there are litterly millions of various ivory pieces imported the same way from 1946 to 1989 - I'm sure no one can even guess how much.

low_48

I suggest that all people participating hers do a little reading up on elephants. African elephants are a problem and are not endangered at all. There are probably too many of them and they are very expensive to protect. They need lots of water, and tons of land to provide enough food (adults consume about 300 to 600 pounds per animal per day) and in addition they need to kept out of agricultural areas....it is no small matter and it has nothing to do with Ivory stop all poaching, stop all harvesting, stop all trade in ivory and these problems will continue to exist.

I have no skin in this game, I don't own and don't particularily want to do anything with ivory but I do object to government taking radical steps to solve a non-problem..

You've got to be kidding me. You are making a joke right? In case you aren't, too many elephants? Who gets to decide that a species has too many numbers and is a nuisance? How about too many people! They take up lots of space and are extremely costly to the environment to take care of those people. Were there too many elephants 100 years ago? Or are there just too many since their habitat has been changed over to farming? I don't get the theory that all creatures on earth are for humans to use up. One of these days, humans will be desperate for biodiversity. Once we get the oceans emptied out, bees eliminated from poisoning them, and on and on. It will down to Soylent Green time then. Saw on TV that in Texas, some communities are making a closed loop on their water. Sewage goes to the plant, is processed, then get piped to the drinking water side. Do you think food will be next?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

If the piano is intact, that "might" be possible. If all you have is the keyboard or the individual keys, then probably not. And if you make something else out of the keys, then even more unlikely.

bruce119

Now I did look at Sanda's O.P. post a little there are some interesting facts about pianos HERE a short quick read. Also the one on the guitars HERE watch the video....

Lets not let bickering among our self's destroy this thread.......

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

You've got to be kidding me. You are making a joke right? In case you aren't, too many elephants? Who gets to decide that a species has too many numbers and is a nuisance? How about too many people! They take up lots of space and are extremely costly to the environment to take care of those people. Were there too many elephants 100 years ago? Or are there just too many since their habitat has been changed over to farming? I don't get the theory that all creatures on earth are for humans to use up. One of these days, humans will be desperate for biodiversity. Once we get the oceans emptied out, bees eliminated from poisoning them, and on and on. It will down to Soylent Green time then. Saw on TV that in Texas, some communities are making a closed loop on their water. Sewage goes to the plant, is processed, then get piped to the drinking water side. Do you think food will be next?
People who have to live with them should be. At the turn of the last century things in Africa were much different than today and like it or not, you and I had nothing to do with the changes Those changes would have occured even if we never existed. If elephants are to survive, it will not be because of what you and I do, it will be because of action taken on the ground where the elephants are and that will most likely include maintaining some maximum herd size in each area set aside for elephants (there are some huge such areas). Overpopulation of any species (humans included) leads to none of the species, but particularily the younger members, having enough. So the idea is to maintain the herd at a level that provides the best chance of survival for the most.

I happen to know of a sewage plant in Pennsylvania that water pure enough to drink is a by-product of the plant. Now in that case they don't drink the water it gets pumped into a lake to keep the lake water pure enough that the fish are absolutely edible in any amount.

Who do you think will find the solution to the bee problem? My thinking is that it will probably be people who have a direct economic interest in healthy bees - the bee keepers, and banning honey from the tables of those who like honey won't contribute a single thing to the solution.

I personally don't think human's need to be too concerned about saving the planet...the planet was here long before we came and will be here long after we're gone. I have seen many TV specials speculating about how the planet might end, how human life on the planet might end and on and on. They all have one thing in common - no matter what we do we really can't prevent something catastrophic from happening. So I don't intend to loose any sleep over any of this.

Joe S.

After looking into it more, I don't think I want to use ivory at all, so I take that part of my statement back.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK - don't use ivory. I personally have never made anything at anytime (before or after the ban) and it's highly unlikely that I ever will. To me the question we ought to be thinking about is " What should be done for the elephants?" Asian elephants might well be endangered the estimate is around 35000 total (there are a number of subspecies there and I think that number includes all of them) remaining.

African elephants (2 subspecies) there are according to figures I've read about 600,000 to 750,000 remaining.

In both cases, habitat loss seems to me to be the biggest threat. Since much of Africa has stopped culling - overpopulation which can lead to sudden huge decreases in number due to starvation and/or disease - is in fact a problem in a number of areas. Elephants are big animals and they travel in herds of 8 to over 100 animals adult females require about 350 pounds of food per day and adult males require up to about 700 pounds. Being large animals they also require a lot of water. In addition, they do not have sweat glands and that two edged sword helps in one way and hurts in another. They don't have the loss of water problem which helps avoid dehydration but the need water (wallows) for cooling.

Now, like it or not - your fault, my fault or nobody's fault - elephants are competing more and more with humans over habitat. Decisions have to be made about what is going to go to the elephants and what is going to go to humans and how are sustainable herds of elephants going to be maintained on the lands that go to elephants. Elephants share one thing with humans - they alter the landscape when they go through an area and it takes years to recover.

Hence, it is my opinion, that this habitat competition is going to end up having far more impact on the elephants that the Ivory trade will have and even if all ivory trade is eliminated the habitat loss problems remain and still need to be resolved.

Last edited:

bruce119

Pretty good analogy....

I am or was a hunter some my hate me for that..but to the point...
Hunting helps the deer population for the exact reason you described...
If it weren't for controlled hunting the deer would suffer to disease and malnutrition...
Due to habitat lose due to humans...
So those that think hunting is bad when controlled it is really a good thing for the whole population...
I think the key word is controlled and there lays the problem....

Human greed and poaching....

Haynie

Bruce, I realize this is completely off topic but your statement is false logic. Nature seeks out and preys upon the weaker members of a herd. The hunter seeks out the prize member of the herd, leaving the weaker less desirable specimen to procreate.

I have no issue with hunting and see it as necessary but I think we often fool ourselves.

bruce119

Bruce, I realize this is completely off topic but your statement is false logic. Nature seeks out and preys upon the weaker members of a herd. The hunter seeks out the prize member of the herd, leaving the weaker less desirable specimen to procreate.

I have no issue with hunting and see it as necessary but I think we often fool ourselves.

Yes I can see the truth in that...We try to manage and fix what we screw up...
A difficult situation...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

A difficult situation...

Hunters in Wisconsin have solved that problem. They shoot at anything that moves---sometimes bagging trophy cows during deer season:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The prize, smart deer are hidden from the second day of deer season!

Reactions: KCW

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Believe it or not - his statement is not false logic...you will read it in the conservation department writings of practically any state. In an over population situation the "weaker" members of the herd are the young immature members not able to compete with the larger more fully developed adults.

The prime members of a herd are among the best to remove because they usually are big males who have already passed their genes along to a lot of young. And, removing the bucks will acturally have little impact on the size of the herd.

You are thinking of the natural culling of weaker individuals by predation. Die offs due to over population don't work that way.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

A difficult situation...

In many areas today the deer herd is larger than it has ever been (Delaware is one of those places). I grew up in the Pocono Mts of PA and the deer population in and around my home town is much larger now than it was 60 years ago. Largely because of human development, deer, like grey/brown rabbits and squirrels live well in conjunction with humans and are much easier to find in moderately populated areas than in the outback.

I think more deer are killed annually by cars than buy hunters, but I'd need to check on that to be sure.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

A difficult situation...

Hunters in Wisconsin have solved that problem. They shoot at anything that moves---sometimes bagging trophy cows during deer season:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The prize, smart deer are hidden from the second day of deer season!
That would probably be by noon on the 1st day Ed. Deer tend to go where there is no shooting.:biggrin:

It is well known that 50% of all deer taken are taken of the 1st day of the hunting season. That is usually a Monday, and 50% of the rest are taken of the 1st Saturday. 25% are taken on all the other days combined. In New York Thanksgiving Morning was the next hot day because it was a day off and might fall before the 1st Saturday.

Sandra Brady

You guys have all hit on the many problems with this whole mess. The bottom line is, the US government has done a good job at keeping illegal ivory out of our country. We already have plenty of laws on the books, and making more is only going to be an injustice to those of us who have used ivory in a legal manner. If there is illegal ivory entering the country than beefing up the ports of entry will do more good than anything, and that is where the effort should be. Also these changes will not stop the poaching, or in any way help those countries that are dealing with herds of these animals. Throw in the fact that there is at least 100 tons of natural attrition ivory each year that those countries are collecting but are not allowed to sell on the open market. So they are stockpiling, but our government is putting pressure on them to destroy it. That ivory could be released and controlled much like diamonds are now. Funds could go toward elephant conservation. That is what I would like to see happen. and that is what I am working for.

Joe S.

You guys have all hit on the many problems with this whole mess. The bottom line is, the US government has done a good job at keeping illegal ivory out of our country. We already have plenty of laws on the books, and making more is only going to be an injustice to those of us who have used ivory in a legal manner. If there is illegal ivory entering the country than beefing up the ports of entry will do more good than anything, and that is where the effort should be. Also these changes will not stop the poaching, or in any way help those countries that are dealing with herds of these animals. Throw in the fact that there is at least 100 tons of natural attrition ivory each year that those countries are collecting but are not allowed to sell on the open market. So they are stockpiling, but our government is putting pressure on them to destroy it. That ivory could be released and controlled much like diamonds are now. Funds could go toward elephant conservation. That is what I would like to see happen. and that is what I am working for.
But is that realistic? Can ivory exist as a valuable material without people poaching?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
But is that realistic? Can ivory exist as a valuable material without people poaching?
The point is -- the nations where the elephants actually live -- have ivory. The nations where the elephants don't live are preventing them from selling it on the grounds there is poaching in the countries where the elephants live. Isn't there something that is just totally wrong with that picture. Actually doesn't it make sense that 100 tons of legal ivory going on the market each year would make ivory less valuable and more available and hence make poaching less profitable and less likely to happen?

Joe S.

Is a strong market for ivory a good thing? How can you know for sure the ivory is from an elephant that wasn't poached?

Joe S.

A strong market for ivory does not sound like a good thing to me. How can you know for sure if an elephant wasn't poached? It is too bad to not use the ivory from an elephant that died anyway, but it is naive to think that poaching will go away if we set rules against it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A strong market for ivory does not sound like a good thing to me. How can you know for sure if an elephant wasn't poached? It is too bad to not use the ivory from an elephant that died anyway, but it is naive to think that poaching will go away if we set rules against it.
and just as naive to think it will go away by banning the sale of legitimate ivory.

We did that with Pot years ago, made the sale, use and importation as well as growing locally illegal - did we succeed in stopping any of those things? No. Evan seizing a ship now and then didn't help.

An approach that won't work, won't work and wishing that it will, won't make it work. Banning the legitimate sale of Ivory has not stopped poaching and won't. Destroying legitmate ivory surely won't discourage poachers, in fact it will have the opposite effect of making poaching more profitable. Poaching can only be stopped by catching the poachers - making the chance of getting caught high enough that it outweighs the prospect of profits. You do not do that by driving the price of ivory up which banning does.

Joe S.

Banning is a rule against it, and won't stop poaching. The idea behind this ban is to make us not want to use ivory. If there is less demand, there will be less of an incentive to risk getting shot. Poachers already face that danger, and short of drone strikes it would be very hard to make poaching riskier. Perhaps after the demand for ivory has gone down, we can use the "good" ivory. Until then, however, the more ivory we use, be it poached, antique, or legally harvested we are creating incentives to poach.

But, as mentioned in this thread, poaching isn't the biggest problem elephants face. Also, the US is not the only consumer of ivory, so this ban is more anti-poacher than it is pro-elephant.

Finally, how do you know that all of that 100 tons isn't poached? If somebody risks getting shot for some elephant tusks, I'm pretty sure they would have ways of leaking that ivory into the market.

Kenny Durrant

I didn't want to post on this but each time I read new ones I'd get the urge to do so. I remember a phrase "Get to the root of the problem". I don't think the use of ivory in the U.S. is the root. They need to combat poaching in the countrys where elephants live. If it's a poor country that doesn't have the funds to do that then they can sell legal or confinscated ivory to raise money to do so. That way the elephants that were poached won't go to waste. On another thread it was stated tons of ivory was destroyed to send a message to poachers. I think the only message sent was that there was a need for more ivory. I'm all for conservation but I also think there is a way to use all resourses in a positive way. That goes for everything. If you abuse something if it's animals, trees, or land it's not going to have a good impact. Sorry I couldn't hold back any longer. Thanks Kenny

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Banning is a rule against it, and won't stop poaching. The idea behind this ban is to make us not want to use ivory. If there is less demand, there will be less of an incentive to risk getting shot. Poachers already face that danger, and short of drone strikes it would be very hard to make poaching riskier. Perhaps after the demand for ivory has gone down, we can use the "good" ivory. Until then, however, the more ivory we use, be it poached, antique, or legally harvested we are creating incentives to poach.

But, as mentioned in this thread, poaching isn't the biggest problem elephants face. Also, the US is not the only consumer of ivory, so this ban is more anti-poacher than it is pro-elephant.

Finally, how do you know that all of that 100 tons isn't poached? If somebody risks getting shot for some elephant tusks, I'm pretty sure they would have ways of leaking that ivory into the market.

I know what the idea is Joe, I also know that historically such bans to not work. And by their own acmission (C.I.T.E.S.) this one has not worked either as elephand herds continue to decline and poaching continues to be a problem.

Joe you have this backwards. The incentive to poach is because the black market price is driven up because open market ivory is not available. Making each poached tusk worth more. That is economics 101. C.I.T.E.S. statements that legal sale of ivory has driven up the demand and price for poached ivory just don't make any sense - they are totally contrary to economics.

As for knowing the source of all 100 tons --- this is now in the hands of legitimate governments. Even if it came from confiscation of a poached animal from the poachers .... the animal was already dead and nothing can be done for it but sale of the ivory could help finance efforts to catch more poachers.

Part of the problem is Poachers - you solve that part of the problem. by going after the poachers, trying to dry up the market for a comodity that has been used and traded at least since the time of the ancient greeks just ain't gonna work.

Witness that there are already plastic alternatives (of course they use crude oil which has it's own negatives) for Ivory that are a lot cheaper, but the users still want the real thing.

Top Bottom