help with pricing on duck calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi guys i hope this isin the right place if not i am sorry but i would like to know how do u price duck calls for the ones that do them . i know it depends on loc but i would like some kind of starting point i can always go down or up if need to. thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
kinda depends on some factors here....
are you using an insert or making all parts except the reeds of course?

If using an insert I would say $30-$40 just because you don't have a reputation yet for making calls. No offense.
If you're making all parts, trimming reeds and whatnot, then $40-$50.

Those prices may just too high, or just right.

If using an insert I would say $30-$40 just because you don't have a reputation yet for making calls. No offense.

I'll second this .... I don't have a "reputation" yet as a call maker, and use the inserts that come with the kits.... I've sold about 80% of all the duck calls I made at $35 each, with a lanyard.... same price for the deer grunts and elk bugles.... my turkey pots I sold at $35 to $45 with a striker.
I've also made up a bunch of varmint calls, but they haven't sold well... they're all priced at $25.

If you can figure a way to sign them, will help develop your "reputation" and collectors are more likely to be interested.... mine are not signed and a couple of buyers walked away because they were not.

penmaker1967

thanks for the info i am just starting to make these and i am using the kits dont know if i will keep doing them but i have had about 10 people from the spring shows that i have done if i make them and aboput half of them are vbendors that i have meet at the shows so i thought i might do a few and see how they go if they do well i may keep doing them for a side item to my inventory.

Last edited:

penmaker1967

forgot to ask another question do u put a finsh on them or just buff them out i would think you would not want a shinny finsh that could be seen very well i thought about just using a oil finsh and buff it out to a dull shine

I need to find out where you fellows that are selling for $35 are getting your parts. Unless you are using scrape wood and a $5. reed? I have found reeds from $5 to $15 if you use a nice ring $6 and wood or acrylic can be from $3 or $30 so the way I do my math i have about $30 or so dollars in a good call. x 3 I getting $75 to $90 and if you compare them to the fellow on the internet at $125 I giving my customer a good deal. Don't undersell yourself or your product. Just my 2 1/2 cent worth

Todd, thanks for the heads up on Hutt that is one I had not looked at. I like the black covers with the duck on them. Just a guess on my part but if you fellows are in the $30-40 range on sells price you don't buy their blanks. Like I said just a guess. Again thank I have covers on the way.

penmaker1967

bill i gett he kits which have the blanks and evberything u need to make the call i bought 3 sets the other day and the most expenseive one was 10.99 a maple burl kit i hope they make some nice looking calls i have not done any in years but have had some people ask for them at the spring shows so i thought i would try a few as far as prices goes i was just getting some idea of what they sell for being that i have not made any in years. i will just play around with the prices and see which does the best. you are welcome for the heads up on hutts

Dan Masshardt

I'd say make them if you like making them. Don't expect to cash in unless you really specialize.

I only make a couple for fun cause the money doesn't seem to be there compared to pens.

I need to find out where you fellows that are selling for $35 are getting your parts. Unless you are using scrape wood and a $5. reed? I have found reeds from $5 to $15 if you use a nice ring $6 and wood or acrylic can be from $3 or $30 so the way I do my math i have about $30 or so dollars in a good call. x 3 I getting $75 to $90 and if you compare them to the fellow on the internet at $125 I giving my customer a good deal. Don't undersell yourself or your product. Just my 2 1/2 cent worth

I buy the HUT call kits and generally make my own blanks... or sometimes I will buy wood from CSUSA... haven't in quite a while but they used to have really good prices on 2x2 spindle blanks that make great call blanks... Not trying to make a killing in the call business just need to re-coop costs so I can make more.... this turning thing is just for fun.

Also, I'm in a market that won't pay much more for a call anyway...

cnc

I'll second this .... I don't have a "reputation" yet as a call maker, and use the inserts that come with the kits.... I've sold about 80% of all the duck calls I made at $35 each, with a lanyard.... same price for the deer grunts and elk bugles.... my turkey pots I sold at $35 to $45 with a striker.
I've also made up a bunch of varmint calls, but they haven't sold well... they're all priced at $25.

If you can figure a way to sign them, will help develop your "reputation" and collectors are more likely to be interested.... mine are not signed and a couple of buyers walked away because they were not.

Find someone whon does engraving with a cnc machine, or get a branding iron. You can find adds for them in woodworking mags

dogcatcher

I am a callmaker, and have been for almost 50 years. The kits are worth about $30 if you find someone that want to pay that much for a kit call. Personally I don't know many duck hunters that would spend that kind of money. I have found that most of those are bought as gifts and are like the socks and ties, stuck in a drawer and forgotten. Those that use Echo inserts, those are worth what anyone will pay for them, usually $30 to $40 depending on locations. That is if you have finished the barrel good enough to last a few seasons in a duck blind, if you haven't it will be in the drawer with the socks and ties. Poly and beeswax won't last the first 2 weeks in duck blind.

You don't get a reputation as a callmaker with kits and inserts, you earn that reputation by making your own inserts that are good enough to sell. A good sounding custom made call can bring up to $50 for a beginner. Once you have established a reputation, that price can go up to and over a $100. Again your location has a lot to do with how much you can charge.

Here is a Video of Carl Jacobson on how he does the finish on his duck calls

He is not a real duck call maker, he is a wood turner that thinks he makes duck calls that uses Echo inserts.

I wasn't showing the making of him turning so apparently you didn't watch the video. this was on how he does a Bee's wax and mineral oil bath so the entire housing for the insert gets sealed. There was a question as how one finishes and this is an example of one way.

dogcatcher

Here is a Video of Carl Jacobson on how he does the finish on his duck calls

He is not a real duck call maker, he is a wood turner that thinks he makes duck calls that uses Echo inserts.

I wasn't showing the making of him turning so apparently you didn't watch the video. this was on how he does a Bee's wax and mineral oil bath so the entire housing for the insert gets sealed. There was a question as how one finishes and this is an example of one way.

I watched the video, the beeswax finish is not a durable enough finish for duck calls. Like I said he isn't a duck callmaker, he is a woodturner that makes duck calls using Echo inserts.

Would you sell a pen that has a finish like his? A duck call or any game call is subjected to a lot more than a pen.

SDB777

I like using acrylic, after all....I know someone that makes the swirly stuff for me! My finish never fades in a duck blind!

Scott (I give mine away) B

GDIS46

In my humble opinion, if the calls had your signature (laser etched or ink signed) and were numbered like a limited edition (1 of 100), then they imply some kind of limited collect-ability feature which, I think, will help you sell them.

Again, just my opinion.

Gary in Blossom Valley, CA

Top Bottom