Help - Need 3g/4g tablet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'm looking for a tablet, not an Ipad, that's 3G/4G, will work with Squar and is between $300-$500. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Mannie,
Have you considered getting a wi-fi only and enabling wireless hot spot on your phone. I did it and really like it.

tom

cwolfs69

i would suggest the new Samsung Galaxy. its 4g and if you go to Verizon you can purchase, activate the phone number and deactivate the next day. that way you have a WiFi only. however, for $20/ month you get 2 gigs of data service. you set the machine for WiFi and it only goes to the service when you are not at a WiFi spot, like home. great machine, love it. im not sure about square, but it sure works with the reader i use for intuit gopayment.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mannie,
Have you considered getting a wi-fi only and enabling wireless hot spot on your phone. I did it and really like it.

tom
Tom, I was considering that as an alternative, but I'd like to have to not purchase two separate items. I plan on purchasing the tablet outright with out a contract. I only plan to use it when I do shows, usually 3-4 months a year, and that way I can buy only the months I plan on using it. Plus I don't think it will take more that 250meg a month to run it.
Also, my Samsung Prevail will not do wireless hotspots.

i would suggest the new Samsung Galaxy. its 4g and if you go to Verizon you can purchase, activate the phone number and deactivate the next day. that way you have a WiFi only. however, for $20/ month you get 2 gigs of data service. you set the machine for WiFi and it only goes to the service when you are not at a WiFi spot, like home. great machine, love it. im not sure about square, but it sure works with the reader i use for intuit gopayment.
The Galaxy is a smartphone, and I have the Samsung Prevail. I'm thinking tablet for a larger screen.
If you are refering to the Galaxy Tab, it's an Android Honeycomb 3.0 tablet and these has issues with Square.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Be aware, at least the last time I looked, that the Android square app will not do the same stuff that the iPad app will, namely the product database. I just looked and could not definitively verify this but from what I can see, the tablet Android App will act just like your Android phone app. In other words, if you wanted to put all of your product skus and pricing in ahead of time, it does not appear it will do it like it will with the iPad app.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Be aware, at least the last time I looked, that the Android square app will not do the same stuff that the iPad app will, namely the product database. I just looked and could not definitively verify this but from what I can see, the tablet Android App will act just like your Android phone app. In other words, if you wanted to put all of your product skus and pricing in ahead of time, it does not appear it will do it like it will with the iPad app.
That would be a +, but I mainly want it for a larger screen and I can't see shelling out $600+ for something I will most likely use 3-4 months of the year.
If I can't find a 3G/4G tablet, I'll look into a mobile hotspot devise.

cwolfs69

the Galaxy is not a smart phone. in is a tablet. you can not make calls on it. it also will create its own hot spot for other computers etc to log on to. there are samsungs that are smart phones, but not the galaxy.

Mannie,

tom
Tom, I was considering that as an alternative, but I'd like to have to not purchase two separate items. I plan on purchasing the tablet outright with out a contract. I only plan to use it when I do shows, usually 3-4 months a year, and that way I can buy only the months I plan on using it. Plus I don't think it will take more that 250meg a month to run it.
Also, my Samsung Prevail will not do wireless hotspots.

The Galaxy is a smartphone, and I have the Samsung Prevail. I'm thinking tablet for a larger screen.
If you are refering to the Galaxy Tab, it's an Android Honeycomb 3.0 tablet and these has issues with Square.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Woodlvr

Just curious but why not the IPAD or IPAD2> I received an Ipad for fathers day but the grandkids use it more than I do. I cannot play a lot of movies it says that Apple does not endorse media player? I believe? I have not found an alternative to make it more useful. My neighbor bought a Samsung Galaxy and she use it while driving her pilot car for her GPS to track the roads through Wyoming and Colorado. She says that the Galaxy is better than an Ipad but I am not sure why?

cwolfs69

you are absolutely right. i apologize and stand corrected. all references of mine are to the tab. i love it.

the Galaxy is not a smart phone. in is a tablet. you can not make calls on it. it also will create its own hot spot for other computers etc to log on to. there are samsungs that are smart phones, but not the galaxy.

Beg to differ with you, but there are several Galaxy phones and the Galaxy Tab
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Last edited:

cwolfs69

she is correct, i have a Lowrance iway 600 on my dash but will use my Galaxy TAB sometimes for navigation because i like the view of the map better. havent been able to find a dash mount for it yet. My wife has an I-pad which she loves, but i still have to do some things for her because of the way Apples stuff works. Also the Galaxy Tab is smaller. it will actually fit in my back pants pocket so you dont have to hand carry around. the one advantage that i-pad still has, the very best touch screen which they have from the beginning. howeer, the galaxy Tabis the closest i have seen to it. The android system works great and has more apps available daily. i would not give it up for the newest i-pad for my own use.

Just curious but why not the IPAD or IPAD2> I received an Ipad for fathers day but the grandkids use it more than I do. I cannot play a lot of movies it says that Apple does not endorse media player? I believe? I have not found an alternative to make it more useful. My neighbor bought a Samsung Galaxy and she use it while driving her pilot car for her GPS to track the roads through Wyoming and Colorado. She says that the Galaxy is better than an Ipad but I am not sure why?

TomW

One thing that you have to keep in mind is Samsung's naming convention is STUPID. The Galaxy Tab "S" is a small screen (6-7 inches IIRC) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a 10" diagonal screen (like IPAD).

Curtis is right about the database issue on Android, *******************EDIT************** Square doesn't work on Android 3.0 Tablet*****************Sorry********************I Must have DREAMED it*********************

Lastly, Google just bought Motorola, so if I was going to do it again, i'd get a Motorola XOOM, because I'm sure it will get all the goodies from Google first... but they are still on the high end of the price range, especially if you consider the cost of Verizon contract for 3G.

HTH
Tom

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Curtis is right about the database issue on Android, but I've not had any problems with Square on Galaxy Tab 10.1....
Tom
This is the info I'm looking for. According to the Square site, Square has problems with the Honeycomb system.
And as for the database, I don't see that as a problem. I could only use generic descriptions such as "Pen - $30", or "Keyring - $25".

...if you consider the cost of Verizon contract for 3G.
Tom
I'm looking for a pay as you go plan. If I read the web sites right (please corect me if I'm reading them wrong) I can get a 250MB, no-commitment 4G tablet data plan for $14.99 a month from ATT, or 1GB from Verizon for $20 a month.

TomW

I apologize for my screw up. Square doesn't work on Android 3.0... But I swear I remember trying it....must be old age. I have called Mannie and apologized for the bogus information.
Tom

PenMan1

Just throwing this out there because it is so efficient. Intuit pay systems will work on virtually ANY tablet and integrates seamlessly into Quickbooks.

This system is really slick and may be our next move. All sales accounting would then be handled directly at the point of purchase. Data can be stored on the tablet, quickstick or on a cloud.

Intuit was at Sam's Club demonstrating this on a $285 Vizio tablet. It worked great, and I could actually print invoices, sales receipts on the spot.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Not familiar with the Vizio tablet...is that wi/fi 'and' 3g/4g..?
And if so, which phone company (and how much) were they suggesting connection to.

Thanks..!

Just throwing this out there because it is so efficient. Intuit pay systems will work on virtually ANY tablet and integrates seamlessly into Quickbooks.

This system is really slick and may be our next move. All sales accounting would then be handled directly at the point of purchase. Data can be stored on the tablet, quickstick or on a cloud.

Intuit was at Sam's Club demonstrating this on a $285 Vizio tablet. It worked great, and I could actually print invoices, sales receipts on the spot.

Top Bottom