HELP!!!! My Firefox is wiped out,,,,,,,,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hi All,
I tried to log "out" last night, was going to bed. Firefox just sat there with the progress bar barely moving. So I just closed the browser and figured I'd open it up today and log in.
I open Firefox and it is completely empty. Opens with a google "lets get started" sort of page. All of my bookmarks are gone, my home button up top is empty, my history is empty, everything is ""gone"". It's like I just downloaded it and am starting over.
"This can't be happening" I just got everything sorted out, am getting comfortable with FF, Just starting to get over IE and "this" happens.
I can't go through this again, I'm going to start braking things!!!!!!!!!!
Is there something I'm missing? Is there a restore feature? Is there some way to find my stuff???? AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, this is being posted in IE.

PS: I do remember it popping up a window that said something like, "would you like to save this session "or" open this session later" or something along those lines. I just figured that meant it would let me open the same windows and tabs as I had open.

PSS: another thing, I have no "back" button feature. The button is gray and does nothing. Same with the "stop" (X) and refresh buttons.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Don't worry - same thing happened to me once...

Firefox ALWAYS backs up it's bookmarks after a certain amount of time...look through the Mozilla folder (you might have to check 'show hidden files'), and it should have a backup file...when you find that, you can just have firefox import that file - through tools or something like it...

PM me if you get stuck!

Andrew

stevers

Well, I tried a few things. There are "no" bookmarks in the back-up files, no nothing anywhere I can find. This is really pi___ng me off. I finally find an OS I like and it fails for no reason. "This Sucks"!!! And the whole reason I switched, as some of you may recall, is because IE kept logging me out. Well now IE is letting me stay logged in for hours of inactivity. Figure that one out.
I love this new software, but it has been a pain getting all my wrinkles out.
It's no ones fault but mine. There is something in my system that's buggin.

My computer teck son is spose to be coming down for a visit soon. May have him just build me a new computer. This ones about 6 years old and is starting to get bunged up and slow down anyway.

So for now Firefox is out. It doesn't take much to turn me off to something like that. I'll cut my nose to spite my face.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
OK, Stevers, I got it! Sent you to the wrong place before.

Make sure the folder says 'show hidden files and folders' in tools/folder options/view

THEN

Look in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (or your username) \Application Data

And look for Mozilla...

When you click on that, you'll get a folder that has Firefox...click on that. Click on the folder that says profiles, and then the folder that has the weird file name.default.

In THAT folder you'll have a folder called bookmarkbackups that's sorted by date...find the most recent one, and you should be able to reinstall that file!

Hope that helps!

Andrew

stevers

OK, I tried Greg's idea first, to do a system restore. It's weird. I did it and it told me, "No changes have been made to your computer. System restore was unable to complete the task at this time". Then I re-opened Firefox and it's fixed. All of the stuff is back. I'm lost. And still curious as to why it did it in the first place. I don't want to see this every time the power goes out or I have a glitch and it shuts down incorrectly. We'll see. I'm going to give firefox another chance. For me, that's saying a lot.
Thanks Andrew, your help is much appreciated.
Thanks to you Greg. (Cozee) Good suggestion. First time I've used system restore.

cozee

During my first year or so of using a computer, I got to where I could access my system restore points in my sleep!!!!

mdburn_em

Not all the bugs are worked out of FF 3. I heavily use the feature that permits you to place links on the toolbar. One day all of those links were gone. I could find them in the file system, but the browser (not OS) was broken and wouldn't display any of them. I couldn't add anymore either. I was about to chuck it when I unintentionally uninstalled a add-on. All of my toolbar bookmarks are back. Took me a couple weeks.

IE8 is in beta testing rev. 2 now. It's supposed to be a lot more web compliant than IE7. MS has lost 6% of browser users to FF, Safari and Opera in the past year.

Top Bottom