Help, I'm melllllttttting!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I had an intersting thing happen to me last night. I was trying to set up to do some CA/BLO finishing. So I got together my CA and wanted to put my debonder into something a little more accessible than the plastic bottle. I thought, if I'm stuck to something, it might be kind of hard to get the top off. So I came up with the bright idea to put it in a spray bottle, thinking that would be easier to use. I did this and put it ont he table. About an hour later I turned around and saw that my bottle was dissolving! I panicked, thinking that the debonder must be some deadly stuff and here it was in my house, and all I could think was that I wanted it out. So holding it as far away from my body as possible, I quickly took it outside to dump it out. I considered just pouring it on the driveway, but I didn't want it to eat a hole in the drive. I ruled out the grass, because I had visions of my whole lawn dying. So I went out into the street and poured it down the drainage thingy in front of my house, making sure the entire contents went down in the drain and not anywhere near the edge of my property! I had had the bright idea to cutely label the bottle "CA "help I'm stuck" stuff" but I think I should have labeled it "CA "help, I'm mellllttttting" stuff". Just for fun, once the toxicity had had a chance to dissipate into the air around my neighborhood and not be to where it would be lethal to me if exposed, I went outside, where I had quarantined it overnight, and took a picture of the bottle. The bottle actually looked better this morning. Last night it was more shrunk down, not nearly as tall, but somehow in the process of drying, it straightened back up some. So just for fun and laughs, here's a picture.

200591819437_ca%20bottle.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I don't suppose that drain thingy would lead to a public water supply?
You could have just left it in a coffee can and it would have dissolved.
I would imagine it was acetone based.
Acetone is used in debonders and accelerators.
It is listed on both labels with some manufacturers.
BTW what do you do with the drain oil fro your car? I am afaid to hear the answer.

angboy

Sorry I didn't explain, don't want people thinking I'm killing the environment- it was a sanitary sewer drain. Even though I was panicking and feeling like it was a toxic substance, I was pretty sure it was acetone. A friend of mine's son had just done a report on our town's sanitary sewers and had told me a list of things that went down them. I was confident I remembered that acetone was OK. I don't change my oil, Jiffy Lube does that, so no need to worry about that. Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm pretty sure that what I did wasn't dangerous to the environment, and I am sure sorry if I'm still wrong.

angboy

I understand the concern completely. I live in a agricultural/farming area, where our town knew that people would, laws or not, put stuff down drains if they were available, since so much is done outside, and so much involves chemicals and harsh liquids. So the area was proactive and put in drains that are specifically sanitary drains that do go to a water treatment facility. Our drains are clearly marked, the non-treated ones saying that the drainage goes out to fresh water, and the others are clearly marked as those that will get treated. But, like I say, I understand people wondering about it. Since I could tell people were concerned, I did call a friend of mine who works for the city in the water department and got his assurance that it was OK. I apologize to any that I upset or bothered. I was wanting to share a funny experience, not cause any negative feelings.

jwoodwright

It's our job to protect our water, by being aware, we can make changes... [8D]

Did you know that Ships frequently empty their Bildge Water without benefit of filtering out the oil and sludge etc.

The Coast Guard has been very Active in catching them... How?

Each enginge wears differently and the bushings and bearings all deposit metal in the oil bath and due to leaks, ends up in the Bildge. So the USCG takes a sample from the spill, checks all ships that were nearby, gives then a Ticket. Justice done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom