Help with ideas, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Was asked today to make a pencil to match a CSUSA Artisan European pen (fancy centerband) and I am stumped. Any ideas about how to find or modify a mech that will work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I see that the pen kit uses a Cross ink refill. In that case, I don't know of a way to convert the pen kit to a pencil.

I think you should consult with CSUSA about your options.

You may have to go to a pen kit which uses a Parker refill.

In recent years a number of those Parker pen kits have had pencil mechanisms developed for them ... PSI has several options of this type

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=pencil+conversion

For an even longer time, if you were wanting to convert a Parker pen kit to a pencil kit you could replace the refill with a Schmidt mech.
This conversion only works for a small selection of pen kits

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=schmidt+pencil+mechanism

You may already be familiar with the options I am presenting to you .... if so I apologize for the duplicated information.

Last edited:
Cross, used to have one called the "Switch It". It seems it's out of production now, but you can still find them on ebay and a few other companies still carry what they had in stock before they went out of production. Not sure of how well they work as I've not personally used one.

Ebay

KenV

My go-to euro style has been the perfect fit pens. They accept the Schmidt pencil insert.

Any chance of negotiating for similar style for the pencil?

thewishman

Thanks, guys.

Mark - it's a Cross style.

Mal, good suggestions, I'll check with CSUSA.

David, I bought some when those first came on the market, but haven't had good results.

Ken, that is my go-to kit for pen/pencil sets. The sole downside is the rattly top barrel - I wish that issue could be solved. Talked to Joe years ago and it was never revised. Plus, that kit has the widest variation in brass tube sizes - sometimes they are just Way. Too. Big.

Thanks, guys.

Mark - it's a Cross style.

Mal, good suggestions, I'll check with CSUSA.

David, I bought some when those first came on the market, but haven't had good results.

Ken, that is my go-to kit for pen/pencil sets. The sole downside is the rattly top barrel - I wish that issue could be solved. Talked to Joe years ago and it was never revised. Plus, that kit has the widest variation in brass tube sizes - sometimes they are just Way. Too. Big.

Yeah, they weren't looking real promising after I looked into them more.

Top Bottom