Hello from Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BenjiBeaver

Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm new to turning and am excited to learn as much as possible, seeing as now I'm addicted to it... I was wondering if there is anyone else on here from Canada, maybe even N.S. im starting to turn some pens and am looking at ordering bulk blanks so I can just keep turning while I wait for some wood to dry. Does anyone know where I could order large amounts for a reasonable price (NOT lee valley..) and if I order online from the states what's your experience with the whole border operation and shipping? Anyway, glad to be here!

Thank you for your time,
Benji

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Welcome Benji.

At the top of the page you'll see a blue bar that says "Member Map". It shows all the members that have put their postal code in their profile for the map. There are 3 members that show in NS. One or all should be able to hook you up with the local wood sellers that you can cut blanks from.

Importing is no problem as long as the wood coming in is clean and without bug holes or rot. Stabilized wood because it has been infused with resins is safe too. All types of resin blanks are no problem either. Having it mailed is the cheapest and courier services like UPS the most. Coming through the mail, the package will go through Customs and if not a large amount may let it through without any charges. If they want money you'll get charged about $10 for brokerage (more from couriers) and the PST/GST/HST as applicable. You pay at the Postal outlet/office near you and they hand over your goodies. Bring ID with your mailing address when you go. Blank buying from the US or any other country gets expensive because of the exchange, shipping and taxes when it gets here but it opens you up to wood that doesn't grow here.

If you don't already know about William Wood-Write in Ontario, they are a good source for all things pen related here in Canada.

Disclosure: My wife Marla sells blanks through William Wood-Write.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Benji !!!

Write a note in the Introductions Forum and your name will be entered in the newcomers' prize drawing.

Rob_Mc

Welcome Benji! There's quite a few of us Canadians here. I've ordered from Penn State Ind with no problems - just be prepared to pay customs, shipping and duties. To avoid that I try to get most of my supples fom William Wood Write a bit outside of Toronto. Great folks to deal with!

Scott

Welcome to the IAP! I know you will enjoy visiting here! Take a moment and go look at the Bash, a once-a-year party that is going on right now!

Scott.

Top Bottom