Heat Pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

It was a bad week for us!

Storm came through, and my Generac started and ran for a while. Then something happened to freeze the motor and the alternator/stator (?) was destroyed (lots of copper wire in the bottom of the case). Need a new one. Briggs?

In addition, this caused a power surge (no surge suppressor) and, in turn, two circuit boards and a capacitor on my main furnace were destroyed.
New generator will have a surge suppressor in the supply line!

Unrelated, my upstairs heat pump has a bad freon leak. I'm told it will cost close to half what a new furnace would cost and the current furnace is already 8 years old (Trane). Got some quotes on several new systems (Trane, Carrier, Amana, and Rudd) and have been trying to research which system is best. Need 2.5 ton and electric.

What heat pump HVAC system would any of you recommend?

Need to make and sell a lot of pens to pay for all this!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

You could take a look at a Mitsubishi system. They will heat when it is -20f and still cool in the summer. So one system instead of two. I would have loved to have one here but winter is too long and cold so you have to have both.

Woodchipper

I wouldn't think a freon leak would be half the cost of a new unit. I think someone is trying to take you for a ride.
I had a leak once and it took an hour to fix- the tech ran a dye through the line, wiped the joints with a rag, found the leak and soldered the joint that developed a hair line crack. As for brands, there are only five companies in the US that make compressors- any heat pump will be fitted with one of the brands. That is the guts of the unit and should carry pretty much the same warranty.

randym

I wouldn't think a freon leak would be half the cost of a new unit. I think someone is trying to take you for a ride.
I had a leak once and it took an hour to fix- the tech ran a dye through the line, wiped the joints with a rag, found the leak and soldered the joint that developed a hair line crack. As for brands, there are only five companies in the US that make compressors- any heat pump will be fitted with one of the brands. That is the guts of the unit and should carry pretty much the same warranty.

Depends on the version of Freon in the system. If it's the older stuff, in some cases, they can't work on them anymore other than replacing because the parts are no longer available. And of course, a newer compressor will not work with the rest of an older system.

randym

I installed one of these in my shop:

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Gree-...atId=cat1028&mainCat=&subCat=&trail=1004:Gree

One of the best investments I made out there.

I installed all of the hardware and had a friend come out and vacuum the system and charge it. Fairly simple to install and I am not a HVAC installer.

We we moved into our house, the master bedroom is the farthest away from the furnace and did not heat or cool very well. I have not idea how the previous owners could deal with it. To solve the problem, we had or HVAC guy install a Mitsubishi split system. I didn't have any idea how easy they are to install at the time and it cost over $3500.

I installed a system with the same specs for just over $1000 and of the two, I like the Gree better.

BeeAMaker

Ignore brand names - that no longer matters. Get the most expensive you can afford. If brand names make you feel better, then get the most expensive that brand offers.

In the appliance world, the manufactures figured out that repeat business is more profitable than top quality, lasting product and most consumers prefers to buy cheap rather than something that will last.

So, as far as home product go, the more expensive they are in any given brand, the longer they will last. -Usually.

Top Bottom