A Heads Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This may or may not have happen to you already or may not even interest you but this is a first for me so thought I would pass it on here.

I believe this is a good place to put this bit of advise being it has to do with business. Last week I got an email about my Domain names for my business and it said I need to take immediate action to renew one of my Domain names. A t first glance it looked exactly like the ones I normally get when the time comes from the place I purchased them. But it got me thinking because I went from a one year to a 3 year renewal plan and I thought I just did this last year. So last night I scrambled to find the receipt for my transaction and sure enough everything was in order. So I went back to this phony letter and looked closely and sure enough there were enough things to stand out as a scam but on first glance it looked so real I almost fell for it and sent money and that would have set things in motion for an ugly day. Just a heads up if this applies to you and your business.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

Thanks John. I hate that we have to be on high alert for everything now, but that is the world we live in.

eharri446

I had an online business for a couple of years, and my issue was with the people placing orders.

I got burned with one order which had the name 'Lagos' in the address. So, after that, I started to pay close attention to the addresses where people wanted items to be shipped.

Also, I had to pay close attention to the credit card information and use a process to validate the name, address, and phone number when trying to process them.

Came to find out that Nigeria, unfortunately, has the worlds worst rating when it comes to online fraud.

Talltim

Scams are becoming more and more frequent. At work as part of their internet security they have a program where they send out "fake" fake emails that could be harmful just to train us not to click on things. I got one the other day telling me my requested vacation had been denied. A trip to HR confirmed it was not real.

I get fake letters for domain renewal and trademark renewal on a regular basis

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This tactic is also used by magazine providers. I get "Time to Renew" notices quite often for subscriptions that have a year or more left on them.

jttheclockman

This tactic is also used by magazine providers. I get "Time to Renew" notices quite often for subscriptions that have a year or more left on them.

I use to get quite afew magazines and that tatic became so impossible to keep tract of and in fact there were messages and letters sent to subscribers telling them of such scams and what to look for. But the scammers got even better. I have since just about dropped all magazines. They were all becoming redundant anyway.

Terredax

Banned
On magazine subscriptions, the last issue date, is right on the mailing label.
I don't get scammed or have to worry about being scammed, since the only email I even pay any attention to are my contacts. Everything else is filtered to the trash bin. I won't open anything that isn't from a contact.
Haven't been scammed yet.:biggrin:

JimB

On magazine subscriptions, the last issue date, is right on the mailing label.
I don't get scammed or have to worry about being scammed, since the only email I even pay any attention to are my contacts. Everything else is filtered to the trash bin. I won't open anything that isn't from a contact.
Haven't been scammed yet.:biggrin:

Don't be over confident. Scammers can make it look like you are getting an email from someone in your contact list.

I am the Treasurer for the local club. I occasionally get emails that appear to come from the president of the club from his personal email address. They look exactly like other emails I get from him but they are requesting I make a payment for the club. They are a scam but could easily trick someone.

jttheclockman

I agree with Jim be careful because these emails do not even land in the spam folders, they go to direct good emails. That is what happened with this one. I am careful too but this almost got me. Amazing what these people can do. Now I have to go collect my 2 million dollars I just won. Yes the phone is ringing too, the IRS is calling and are going to put me in jail. Maybe I can buy my way out.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

preacherman

This is exactly why you don't do it from the email. Go directly to the sight and do your business with them. Never click the links and send money or provide any personal information.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Just after the earth cooled and I got the Internet, my son advised me not to open any email that I didn't know the sender. I got one this morning and had no clue as to who it was. Deleted it quick like a bunny rabbit!
BTW, I do have some property in El Paso, Texas that would be a good investment. It's only a brisk walk to the Gulf of Mexico and great beaches. LOL

Top Bottom