A head scratcher problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I picked up this pen today from a coworker. His brother wanted to know if I could repair it by replacing the wood. As you can see it is antler and cracked. The nib end easily pulled out of the blank. He thought it was designed that way so you could swap out whatever covering you wanted.:eek:
Anyway, I first noticed the brass tube had a notch missing which was odd. Then I looked inside the tube and I can see gouges in the brass. It looks like something round and sharp was used to attack the inside of the tube.
What could have been used to do that and why?
I have a tube that I can use to make a new blank. It will be wood or plastic because I don't have antler and don't want to turn it.
Anyway, your thoughts on what went on here would be appreciated.
At some point I want to ask him where he got this pen.

Attachments

• pen_cracked.jpg
    pen_cracked.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 411
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I am not sure I see the missing notch in the brass tube.

Also ... the two pictures bottom right ... are they the same end of the pen ?

Did you get the hardware off the top end ?

campzeke

The inside of the tube may have been scared up using a barrel trimmer. Not sure... only a guess. I think I would start over with a new tube. From there it's an easy fix.

Dale Allen

Mal, the missing notch is in the end shown on the lower left. Yes, the other 2 end images are the same end. Was trying to get a good picture of the inside. I think Blade has it correct about the glue inside the blank. Sure made a mess of it. Or as Rick said, a barrel trimmer would do that.
I had 2 blanks from that kit in camo plastic so I used one of those. Looks great now.

Attachments

• pen_camo.jpg
    pen_camo.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

More4dan

It may have been an early crack the previous maker cut out and filled back in leaving a notch in the tube. Eventually the crack ran through the blank. One possibility.

Very nice save though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dehn0045

That notch is weird, can't even venture a guess as to what is going on there...

greenacres2

The notch looks exactly like a novice operating a barrel trimmer. Exactly. I have one out in the garage that I could take a pic of to document. Have only done it once, that was enough of a lesson!!
earl

MRDucks2

Yep, used a barrel trimmer with a bent shaft. Produced very similar effect after dropping one of mine. Maker likely kept grinding away at the antler trying to get the ends flat not paying attention to the damage being done to the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

RKB

You did a great job repairing his pen Dale. He will love it.

I wonder if antler is a difficult material to drill through? Never worked with it, just wondering.

Rod

Gary Beasley

You did a great job repairing his pen Dale. He will love it.

I wonder if antler is a difficult material to drill through? Never worked with it, just wondering.

Rod

The only difficult part I noticed drilling is if the antler is too curved to easily center the hole. It drills pretty easily though its hard on the nose. Ive been told the antler can be boiled and bent straight.

Dale Allen

Thanks all for the comments.
My fix was real easy. The blank was already made and some hammering with a plastic pin took out the top section.
Now I have to figure out what to charge him.

Top Bottom