Have you ever had one of those days....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Have you every just had a day, week or a not so good time in the shop. Isn't it supposed to be relaxing?

I'm trying to get ready for a small craft show next month, so I've been working on some higher end kits and the standard slims.
I've had two blanks explode, a tube get stuck half way in a blank (now I recall why I started using epoxy), a finish that wouldn't take, bushings to misalign, the mandrel went out of round, my CA glue bottle sprung a leak and a kit came up with missing parts. :mad:

I wonder what next week will reveal for me??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Crazy things happen in my shop all the time. I usually go inside and make a glass of sweet tea and a sandwich. Then everything is back to normal when I go back into the shop.

IPD_Mr

I'm trying to get ready for a small craft show next month, so

There is your reason right there. You feel rushed and are concerned about having the inventory for a show. Relax.....Enjoy your time in the shop......If you don't have enough enventory to your liking, so what.....You enjoyed the time you spent making the inventory that you do have. It will help with your selling to. When a potential customer asks about a pen, you will be able to speak fondly of it and it will help to sell your creation. If it is something that gave you fits and too much time to your liking, then you will most likely not want to discuss that pen and would just as soon be done with it.

Life is short and pen turning should be fun. :)

Lenny

Some days are like that! :frown:

Attachments

• 1-of-those-days.jpg
    1-of-those-days.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 114

Brooks803

Could be worse Kevin you could be in my boat and not even be able to turn or really anything related to the craft (other than reading here on IAP).:hammer:+:good:= :crying::doctor:

Deep breathe, walk out of the shop:beer:. Go back tomorrow and all will be well. The wood turning gremlins leave when they get bored without someone to torment:devil::alien:

I always figure, nobody is shooting at me, trying to explode when they get near a group of us, or in any crazy a$$ way trying to meet Allah near me, the curbs don't explode as I drive home and I get to see my wife and kids pretty much every night these days.

Not much back here bothers me...its all relative.

You didn't get hurt...so its just annoying.

My perspective on things these days.

Sean

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the postings and support. Each of you are correct and I think we all have times when things go in a different direction than we would like.
Needed to get on a soap box, but it could be worse.
I did manage to salvage two blanks for a slim. The Tycoon blanks will have to be redone. But no biggy as I'll use epoxy on those.

Thanks again!

kovalcik

I had a day like that last week. I was making cigar pen and pencil set. Have not made many cigars. First I forgot that the 2 tubes are not the same length. I cut all my blanks to fit the SHORT tube (of course). Drilled them out (perfectly centered holes, of course) and glued the first tube in, no problem, then did a test fit on the next one and it stuck out the end of the blank. Just glad my 10 yr old wasn't around. Thankfully I had enough wood to cut more blanks, the correct size. Then I turned the pen blanks, perfect sizing, one of my best CA finishing jobs, only I swapped the long and short tubes on the bushings. Thankfully the pencil kit does not care whether the long tube is top or bottom so that became the pencil. So now I have a "mostly" matching pen and pencil set with the center bands just slightly off. Oh well, a night in the shop still beats a day at work no matter what goes wrong.

tbroye

That is the reason my shop walls have dents in them. Go inside read IAP have a snack, something to drink, non alcoholic, then take a nap. Then the next time out in the shop thinks will be better, I hope

Top Bottom