Have you been burnt out - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Burnout is just a fact of life.

Early humans captivated fire to heat and light the cave, cook food, fire pottery to store food, later on to forge metals (and cast lathes), later on to watch fire burn to embers while telling stories about the good old days.

My 2 cents about burnout is to tune the internal smoke detector and know when to move along from thing to thing in the parcourse of creative engagement.

The profoundly talented clarinetist Artie Shaw quit playing clarinet in 1954 - burnout, creative stagnation, and some other interests. Everyone wanted him to play Begin the Beguine exactly as he'd played it in 1938 - this bothered him a lot.

Agriculture has the right metaphor in this case: best to rotate the creative crops.

Warm regards to all makers - Bob
Bob in SF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 3

No burnout here yet. It seems that there are just too many other things that need doing that keeps me to the lathe. When I do get there, there is always something new I want to turn....maybe later this week!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I'm going through a burnout right now. I have no desire to turn anything. I'm occupying my time with other projects I've been putting off for awhile.
The problem is I need to build my inventory for the upcoming craft shows. And I know if I'm not in the mood, I'm not going to do my pens justice.
I have probably 3-4 dozen blanks prepped and ready to turn, so I'm trying to do 1 or 2 a day and just make slow progress. I'm about 80% decided to discontinue the shows and focus on just custom orders, maybe get into casting and kitless pens.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 0

For me I don't think it's burnout. I make a few pens a day for a week, then I go off to other things - shooting, honeydew lists, etc. And then want to make a more pens.
FrankH is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 34

I suppose we are like the materials we use - some are more combustible than others .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I had a "forced" layoff from turning (life got in the way) and it may have been the best thing for my turning abilities. I was sick of pens mostly because of taking on a large (100) order and becoming bored. I'm back after a 3 year hiatus and loving it again. I may take on an order of ten or so, but never again will I turn it into an excruciating marathon of ennui. That last word is for you crossword aficionados.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambidex View Post
I had a "forced" layoff from turning (life got in the way) and it may have been the best thing for my turning abilities. I was sick of pens mostly because of taking on a large (100) order and becoming bored. I'm back after a 3 year hiatus and loving it again. I may take on an order of ten or so, but never again will I turn it into an excruciating marathon of ennui. That last word is for you crossword aficionados.
I learned a new word today.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 219

I think you could say burnt out.
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 20

I find the forced break brought about by 117 degree temps in the summer here in Phoenix keeps me from burning out. The only turning I'm doing right now is at the blind center (air conditioned!), and I'm only doing prep work there, and supervising my students. Then when it cools off a bit and I can turn at home again, I'm rarin' to go. I have a window AC in the shop but when it gets above 110, it just can't cool the shop.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldermike View Post
Geez I do only one a day sometimes I just sit and drink a beer and listen to music. Just being in my shop is therapeutic. Sort of an old fart thing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
I resemble that.
http://www.undergroundwoodworking.ca
Rick_G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads