Have you been burnt out - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I haven't really burned out yet since I just started, but won't be surprised if/when that day comes. I have a pretty steady rotation of hobbies, usually after I get burned out I will eventually find my way back. I think penturning has a nice mix of "learning" and "doing", there is always something new to try. I also get a lot of joy when I give away my pens or show people something new that I have been working on. I'm thinking that time constraints might become my limiting factor before I get burned out, we'll see. Hopefully you can stay engaged and find your passion again!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 302

I get burned out. When that happens, go to an old hobby, furniture making. It's also a great time when my daughter want to build. She did this Farmhouse table and benches all by herself. The only tool I would let her use was the table saw. That's only because she can reach far enough.

sorry for the sideways pictures. Uploaded from my phone. They looked good there.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0913.jpg   img_0512.jpg   img_0885.jpg  
Home of the Jack Daniels Whiskey Wood Blanks.

Last edited by jimm1; 07-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.
jimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Yep, I am burned out. I was making pens, writing articles about making pens, pretty much everything around making pens. Then I just stopped. It was probably as much a reflection of other things going on in my life as at was being burned out on pens, but nonetheless I haven't turned a pen in over three years. I still follow the activities of the IAP, and I am feeling the urge to make a pen, so who knows. I might catch the bug again! ;-)

Scott.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I think a little burn out now and then is a good thing. It's your psyche telling you that you need to recalibrate why you are doing what you are doing.
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I suffered through burnout the last 5 yesrs before I retired. I sold all my electronics equipment, and invested it into upgrading my other two hobbies and starting a new one (pen turning). Now if I feel pressure from one I cn lay it aside for a while and move on to another, or another, ang then come back to the first one - usually rested and with some fresh ideas.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 0

It is good to see you back!

I went through a burnout for almost two years. Glad I didn't sell off my stuff. Been back for several years and while the once white-hot fever is not there, I still enjoy making pens.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 5

When I got into turning, and eventually IAP, I was going at it hot and heavy. I met up with Lou (DCBluesMan) and Jim (JimGO), and a few others, and we were rabid. I turned, got into casting, and other stuff.

Then, I just kind of fell out... less shop time, started a photography business, so there was no time.

I have discovered a bit of balance, and have returned to turning after about a 3 year "off time". I'm doing things for fun, not for profit. I think it was the selling stuff that turned it into a job and took some of the fun out.

I think it is natural to get into something heavily, and kind of fade a bit... call it finding your ZEN...
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I'm retired and do a lot of things - camping, golfing, and woodworking. Woodworking includes small furniture, scrolled items, bowls, and, of course pens. I do 3-4 craft shows a year to support my "habit". I can't do the same thing for a very long. I think that's the secret. Spread your time around, doing the things you like. When you get tired of that, do something else. I have had friends/acquaintances who, after retiring, had nothing to do. Unfortunately, several of those are not here anymore. Keeping active, with a balance, is the key to a long and happy life.
jimmyz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Yeah, it happens. About 4 or 5 years ago things were really crazy busy at work for months and months and I was working 80 hour weeks non-stop. Any time in the shop was squeezed in between other priorities and I felt pressured to just get something made. No fun. One day I just stopped going into the shop. My break from the shop lasted 18 months. During that time I only went in there twice just to be sure everything was OK. It was a total of about 5 minutes. I was even tempted to sell everything.

I'm glad I didn't sell the shop. When I started turning again life had slowed down and I started by turning other things. I only turn a few pens a year now. I do turn a lot of other things but I do it on my terms and my timeline. Sometimes I go for weeks without going into the shop. Other times I spend hours each day for several days in a row. It all depends on how I 'feel' that day. If I'm in the mood I go into the shop. If I'm not in the mood I don't.

I enjoy my shop time much more now!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Got tired of making pens, moved on to other things, bowls mostly, did make some nice candy dispensers for a wedding. I have made a couple of pens for gifts a few months back. I enjoy working in the shop though, I will make pens on demand, if someone needs or wants on. Bowl turning is challenging and rewarding, and free wood is free wood.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads