Has This Ever Happed to You

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Imaginethat

I'm not sure what happened. But I'm very sure this has never happened to anyone else.:biggrin::eek:

I had a 16 ounce bottle of superglue, almost full. After using on a pen I set the bottle on the bed of my lathe behind the tail stock. Now the temperature gets hot in Arizona but this day was abou 80 degrees.

Came out the morning after and to my surprise the bottom of the glue bottle opened up and leaked the entire bottle of superglue down through the bed of the lathe, around all my turning tools under the bed, around the base of the lathe, running around my spray cans of accelerator, my cut offs, bottles of other glue around and under my granite bock, across the lathe bench and dripping on my pressure tank.

The lathe sets on a rubber mat which is now glued to everything. Some of the glue is dried and some wet and very difficult to remove. I can't believe the mess and how many things are now glued to the rubber mat and my fingers.

I'm not sure what lesson is to be learned here but I've certainly learned it.

Just saying.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Photos...we need photos.

Did the bottom of the bottle melt? Could the heat have started a cure and the ensuing pressure cracked the bottom?

Sounds like a mess.

PenPal

It would take me years to use that much CA, commiserations mate,fare well with the clean up.Perhaps in the future decanting into smaller bottle would lessen the future use of CA.

Peter.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Double ouch ! Had one fail that way on it`s way to me from my supplier . Fortunately it was within a Zip-lock bag which contained most of it . I now leave them that way in the freezer , and pour a half ounce or so into a 2 oz bottle as needed .

magpens

That situation definitely calls for a picture ..... PLEASE !

Include the bottle (or remains of) .... I have never seen a CA bottle that big.

Last edited:

Herb G

I never used that much CA glue, but I've seen a 12 gal. bucket of epoxy resin bust out & set up all over a shop before.
I used to do fiberglass work when I got out of high school. I worked in a boat shop fixing boats & building new ones. We used to get two 6 gal. buckets of epoxy resin & catalyst and mix them together when making boats or fixing older ones.
12 gals of resin would cover a 30' boat with 1 initial coat.

Anyway, some guy who delivered stuff to us set a pallet of stuff on top on another pallet & we didn't noticed it until the following week.
The stacked pallet busted the buckets of epoxy & it ran down over the pallet it was sitting on & mixed enough to set up hard as steel.

It took us 3 days to grind the epoxy & pallet away with a hand grinder.
What a mess!

Top Bottom