It happened

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

I was presented with several challenges today.

The challenges were varied and had no time limits, I was just asked to do
my best.
I completed all of the challenges, and apparently did better than I hoped.

The HR Mgr. and the lead engineer called me into the office to inform me they are offering me an opportunity to join the R&D department.
I will be helping with new designs and cleaning up old designs, along with getting all new and revised prints to manufacturing.

After a required probationary period, I can choose to remain in this position, or sign a contract and they cover the cost of further training and education to acquire an associates degree.

I have until the beginning of Oct. to accept or decline their offer.

If I decide to accept, and later go for a degree, I will have even less time to devote to pen making. All of my pen related materials will most likely have to go. It just takes up space and could probably find a better home.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Dan!

Be selfish!!! What is best for YOU (I have not read of family, so no thoughts there. But they would be second).

Pen turning will be there/here in 2,4,6 years! And earlier if the opportunity arises. Are you making tons of $$ with pen turning? If not, then (as with me) it is a great hobby/pastime/stress reducer. And that is wonderful.

But, do what is best for your situation! We will listen and cheer you on!

SteveJ

Congratulations Dan. The opportunity to advance at work and also to get your associates degree is pretty significant. That will benefit you for years to come. But we will miss you here - you have shown some fantastic looking pen "cores". I will miss seeing your creations.

H2O

Hi Dan!

Be selfish!!! What is best for YOU (I have not read of family, so no thoughts there. But they would be second).

Pen turning will be there/here in 2,4,6 years! And earlier if the opportunity arises. Are you making tons of $$ with pen turning? If not, then (as with me) it is a great hobby/pastime/stress reducer. And that is wonderful.

But, do what is best for your situation! We will listen and cheer you on!

Mark- I have to disagree on family being second. My family is my first priority and nothing comes before them. They are the reason I put in all of the hours I do. I want them to have the best life I can provide for them.

Otherwise, thanks. It was nothing more than something to use a machine that I had never used before. It hadn't even developed into a hobby yet, but it was fun... the little bit that I had a chance to do.

Congratulations Dan. The opportunity to advance at work and also to get your associates degree is pretty significant. That will benefit you for years to come. But we will miss you here - you have shown some fantastic looking pen "cores". I will miss seeing your creations.

Thanks Steve. I have to decide if this is the correct path for me to take. This is a huge, long-term commitment, that doesn't affect just myself.

I will still visit this site. I enjoy viewing the creations that people develop. I don't have the creativity or the ability to do the art that so many on here make appear so easy.

Skie_M

Nobody said that you aren't allowed to turn a project on the weekends, just to keep in practice ... :)

Paul in OKC

I myself would enjoy an opportunity like that. It is part of what I get to do with my job. Trouble shoot, design, redesign, mess with drawings, and then get to build prototypes! I have come near giving up my stuff more than once. I have turned pens off and on for near 20 years now. Mostly not turned much at all in the last few, but my stuff stays. That choice is up to you. If you get rid of it, do stay in touch, and wish you the best in which ever you decide. Do what is best for your family, and where all the $$ is isn't always where that is at, but sometimes..........

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I work for a massive electrical engineering company and I had the opportunity to work in one our R&D sections.......the most memorable years of my 35 year ( so far ) career with them.
Extra knowledge is money in the bank. Learn what you can, while you can.
Like has been said, hobbies can wait. Sometimes family time can get compromised with new careers, but in the long run it's worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Wct3

My philosophy has always been: Always go for the education. It really helps in the long run and it teaches your children the value of education.

Now as far as hobbies vs family, its not really one or the other. Most of us have hobbies because they satisfy needs outside of our workplace. If you don't take care of yourself mentally and physically, your family will suffer for it. As you will note on these forums, many members find teaching their kids and grandkids to turn the most satisfying part of the hobby.

TonyL

You may want to look at the employment/unemployment and wage statistics published by the BLS. I am NOT saying to make your decision based on them, but you may want to include the stats when making your decision.

Moreover, if your family comes first (I don't doubt that they do), and if they are equipped to help you make your decision or at least, be made aware of the potential consequences on your alternatives, it may be interesting for you to hear what they have to say.

Congratulations on the offer and much "success" and happiness regardless of your decision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom