Hall Of Fame

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

someone brought up the like button. This may have merit. Maybe a button that says Hall on it can be available. As you see a pen during the year that stands heads above others you may want to hit the Hall button. At the end of the year the top vote getters get a second look and make it to the second round of acceptance. Just thinking out loud.
I think this is a good idea. And back to my monthly top 25 (or whatever the Number would be), each month the top pens could be shown. Then the annual voting something like you describe would be a good way to induct the pens. To me this is a good way to get the membership as a whole involved. And it removes the issue of sending in a pen for review, and having a panel of judges.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

Not sure how difficult this would be to code but perhaps a forum sort of like the SOYP but where every picture submitted was done anonymously. Call the forum Hall of Fame Submissions. Have each post be a poll with two options: Worthy and Not quite there yet. After say 1-2 weeks close the poll with a requirement of X number of worthy votes. If you get enough worthy votes (displayed only after voting is closed) you then send in the pen to a committee. Again with no names attached to the pen. This would have to include return addresses i.e. put your return address as something like Anonymous Pen Submission and the address of the committee mail box. The committee then takes macro pictures of any flaw they find and post that to a separate forum called Hall of Fame Review again with a blind poll. After a set amount of time the result of the poll is revealed. At this point (and only at this point) the creator then claims their pen and has it shipped back to them. If it was voted into the Hall of Fame place it in the Hall of Fame forum.

To keep size down (strain on servers and what not) after each poll is finished it should be deleted a week later (this gives people time to see the results of the poll).

Now I know first hand my pens wouldn't come close to making the cut but I would enjoy seeing what the upper echelon could come up with to attempt to enter this prestigious group.

Dale Lynch

John, your welcome.I am happy to help move the conversation along.Like you I like the idea of a special place for such special pieces.While we are shown beautiful pens all the time,there are those few that I cannot praise in a positive fashion with proper grammer(low vocabulary threshold).

ChrisN

someone brought up the like button. This may have merit. Maybe a button that says Hall on it can be available. As you see a pen during the year that stands heads above others you may want to hit the Hall button. At the end of the year the top vote getters get a second look and make it to the second round of acceptance. Just thinking out loud.
I think this is a good idea. And back to my monthly top 25 (or whatever the Number would be), each month the top pens could be shown. Then the annual voting something like you describe would be a good way to induct the pens. To me this is a good way to get the membership as a whole involved. And it removes the issue of sending in a pen for review, and having a panel of judges.

I like that idea, also. That would make it easier to select the pens. The top monthly pens get added to a poll to pick the top yearly pens, and then the top number of them could be sent in to be judged.

BSea

I like that idea, also. That would make it easier to select the pens. The top monthly pens get added to a poll to pick the top yearly pens, and then the top number of them could be sent in to be judged.
You had me until "and then the top number of them could be sent in to be judged." I don't think we need a panel of judges, or for the pens to be sent in. I see 2 problems with this. 1, some people won't send in their pens, so they are removed from the competition. 2nd, many of these pens might well have been sold before the end of the year. So to be considered, your asking a customer to send in his/her pen? I doubt that would happen considering the amount of money these pens would command. I don't think we need to make this complicated. Being voted for by your peers is about the best compliment there is IMHO.

ChrisN

You had me until "and then the top number of them could be sent in to be judged." I don't think we need a panel of judges, or for the pens to be sent in. I see 2 problems with this. 1, some people won't send in their pens, so they are removed from the competition. 2nd, many of these pens might well have been sold before the end of the year. So to be considered, your asking a customer to send in his/her pen? I doubt that would happen considering the amount of money these pens would command. I don't think we need to make this complicated. Being voted for by your peers is about the best compliment there is IMHO.

That's some good points you made there. But the counter-argument is that a picture can be manipulated. Pictures sometimes don't show pens in their best light. OTOH, pictures sometimes make things look better than what they really are. In a picture, can you tell if the transition from barrel to tip is seamless, or if the barrel slightly smaller than the tip and the tip catches your finger? Holding a pen in your hand is better than seeing it in a picture.

But, if the idea is just to pick out pens with a wow factor, seeing pictures may be enough.

Scruffy

Got a question..

If a pen goes into the hall of fame, does it stay there forever?

If they are not deleted after a time, one could imagine some pens of lesser quality being ranked with pens of higher quality.

Or is the fact that a pen made it ensure that it will always be assured a place of honor?

Dulos

One of the main reasons I come to to PenTurners is to get more ideas for my own pens, plus I love a good pen (yes, I have a pen addiction). Consider the option of collecting the top "liked" pens each month (maybe 20 per month) and put them on a forum page where the creator can describe it a bit. No judges, no voting-- other than adding a "like" to the pens I like. Just my 2 bits.

Paul in OKC

What if the Hall of Fame just consisted of the pens that made the home page photo. Down side is it would leave out a lot of others, though, that are just as worthy, IMHO.

Would this just be here for the people that aren't quite good enough for the PMG? A member here picked out a group of pens and all are nice but I can tell you without much doubt who made 3 of them and have a pretty good idea on a few of the others. You can't separate the pen from it's maker. I'm not a pen collector. I enjoy the process of making pens and like the fact that I can make art that is used on a daily basis. Fancy pens didn't bring me to this site. I came here to "meet" and talk with othes that also enjoy pen making. I came here for the people, not the pens. It's been a hard week, I had a conversation with a roofer that left him speechless and may have made another contractor cry. My apologies for not being my usual easy going self. If you think I'm being closed minded for not seeing your side aren't you also being closed minded for not seeing mine?

soligen

What about keeping it really simple. Any pen that gets over 100 (or pick a number) likes gets moved into a special area.

When I want to peruse pen eye candy, I think this would work for me to get the top pens.

I wouldn't want to see this as a contest, or a formal judging (they exist elsewhere) - how about just an easy way to see the pens that a lot of people liked.

Lucky2

Personally, I don't like the idea, nor do I think it is something that we need as a group. To me, it's just another way of creating an upper class, and more separation is the last thing we need.
Len

Scruffy

Now that you mention it..

It will provide for some members a kind of mutual admiration society.

There will be a group who will dominate such Hall of Fame. Probably pretty well match those win contest frequently because of their creativity and talent. So this does provide another means to demonstrate their skills.

I know there are some here that will not enter contests or submit to any type of comparison against such competition. A Hall of Fame will pretty well define those who are the talented elite.

Cream always rises to the top. There is no need to point it out, it will be there. There is no way to blindly put some works out there, most of the industrious builders have fingerprints all over their work. I am not for or against a Hall of Fame but I don't think it is necessary.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hall of fame????

Shouldn't "Hall of Fame" if implemented, be aimed at people who over a period of years have made significent contributions to pen turning or this site? A couple of names come to mind as people who might be included.

While I have no issue with another "pen contest" which is what the suggested format implies to me, I think it should be kept as just that, a pen making contest.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Paul The front page pens can be seen by clicking on the link below the featured one, the Pre2008 and the Recent link.

It may not be necessary, But think of all the great pens buried in different forums and threads that are hard if not impossible to find. We may stumble across them occasionally or someone remembers one and some else dredges it back up to show. What if you had a forum of those pens that Pictures of those pens and a link to the thread. New members and more seasoned ones could look through it for ideas on makeing pens of their own.

BSea

What about keeping it really simple. Any pen that gets over 100 (or pick a number) likes gets moved into a special area.

When I want to peruse pen eye candy, I think this would work for me to get the top pens.

I wouldn't want to see this as a contest, or a formal judging (they exist elsewhere) - how about just an easy way to see the pens that a lot of people liked.
Paul The front page pens can be seen by clicking on the link below the featured one, the Pre2008 and the Recent link.

It may not be necessary, But think of all the great pens buried in different forums and threads that are hard if not impossible to find. We may stumble across them occasionally or someone remembers one and some else dredges it back up to show. What if you had a forum of those pens that Pictures of those pens and a link to the thread. New members and more seasoned ones could look through it for ideas on makeing pens of their own.
I agree with these 2 posts. I know when I was new to the site, I'd go back & look at any thread in SOYP that had a lot of posts. This is easy to do just by clicking on the word REPLIES at the top of the column. This is an easy way to see pens that had a lot of conversation about them. But it wasn't always a nice pen, sometimes it was just something that had a lot of comments. Many times the thread owner would make multiple replies to questions or comments. So the replies could be elevated just by a conversation inside the thread. Another way would to be able to sort threads in SOYP by likes, so it would be easy to see the ones most people like. There is a problem with this though. Over time, the newer pens would be further & further down the list. I see a problem where new members would come to the list, start looking at the pens, and of course like them. The pens further down the list would get less looks, so they'd get less likes as well

I think a better way would be a monthly thread showing the top 10, 20, 25 (Pick a number). That way there would be 1 place to view the top pens. After a few years, it would be easy to go back & see the top pens for any month where this was done. And if the majority wanted a poll for yearly winners, I'm fine with that. If not, I'm fine with that too.

Top Bottom