Had to put our cat down

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

For the last couple weeks our cat decided she wanted to get outside. Now keep in mind she went outside one time in about 14 years, and when she realized the door to get back in was closed, we heard her. I got her from the humane shelter and they claimed she was 6 months old. She was fixed, declawed, and to me obviously 2 or 3 years old.

Well I could see her losing weigh, and throwing up a little throughout the house. She would get lost in the house at night. So I knew it was coming. So last week my wife comes home from work and Kitty was not able to get up, and Kelly was bringing her to the vet. The vet said (in so many words) we should put her down. So I am on my way home from work and Kelly asks if I want to go with kitty, when they put her down. I said I didn't need to, but I was met with "I can't do it and someone needs to be with her." I knew what that meant.

I get to the vet, my mother in law and 2 daughters are waiting. The girls are bawling their eyes out, and that gets me choked up. Don't get me wrong Kitty was a part of our family and I am upset about her, but when the kids are like that, it tugs extra hard.

Friday morning I get a call from Kelly asking if it is all right if the girls get a guinea pig. I say no, absolutely not. So when I am on my way home I get a call, "Guess what Gigi got us!" Gigi is my mother in law. Guess who he loves sitting on and chatters away with. ME.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Sorry about the cat. Had the same thing with a dog five years ago. You get attached to them, believe me. My grandson has a guinea pig. You can go to one of the big pet stores and get a harness and leash for it. Take it for a walk around the neighborhood.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I had to (needed to) do this exact thing last summer. Still tugs at my heart when I look in my backyard.

I also was the "Chosen One" for our Kitty! She was bought for my daughter, but in a room of all family members, mine was the one filled.

My condolences. But... I do believe some life lessons can be learned from our "extended family." All our kitty she wanted was food, water, and a warm lap. And in return she gave back unconditional love. I should be so humble.

stonepecker

Any pet from a shelter is 'God-given'. They love you totally for giving them the chance to be with you. They ask for so little and they can fill your heart when nothing else can.

Maybe that is why we have 4 cats and 4 dogs. We also lost our oldest cat just after Christmas. She was very special to us. She died on the table when we had her fixed and the vet brought her back. But she was never the same. Cuddles had earned that name because she was always in our laps. After her surgery, she was always hiding from us. Usually under something. She would run whenever they were strange people in the house. At night she would come to our bed and sleep between our heads. Purring the night away. In the morning she would get a can of soft cat food.
She was 18 years old. deaf and the boss of every other pet we have. She died sitting on my lap and I cried like a baby. They do become part of the family and we love them as children.
Right now, we have 2 of the dogs sleeping with us and one cat sleeps between my feet. Don't ever think they don't understand. At times, they know better then you.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Sorry for your loss of your feline family member.
I feel for your loss and know exactly what you are going through. Besides the two 14 YO dogs we lost last year, we lost our two oldest cats, both 20 YO, 6 days apart 3 weeks ago. One I had to take to the vet and the other died on his pillow in front of the TV.

Top Bottom