Had to laugh....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Down at the blind center some of the favorite items for them to turn are ChefWareKits BBQ sets. One of the sets is golf themed, and we had a turner who wanted to turn one next Tuesday. Since I am only there on Wed and Fri, I needed to cut and drill the blanks at home so I could leave them for the Tuesday turners. I didn't have one of the kits here, and they come with no instructions, so I emailed ChefWareKits and asked them what size bit to use to drill the handles for the golf themed BBQ Set.

The reply made me laugh! They told me to measure the kit and drill a hole big enough for it to go in. Try a couple of different bits and see which one fit!:rotfl:

I'll just drill them on the lathe today at the center. My drill press down there isn't quite up to drilling handles. It is very hard to get it to drill perfectly straight. It's fine for pen blanks, which is what we use it for most.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

So if my wife asks what size shirt I wear, I can answer with...."it doesn't matter, just buy one that fits me"

Too funny!!
earl

sbwertz

www.chefwarekits.com/bbq-utensil-ki...3pc-woodturning-kit-stainless-heavy-duty.html

I see they do not give any specs on their site either. You would think somewhere in the instruction sheet they would mention a drill size. I guess another use of the good old calipers comes into play. Good luck and looks like a fun project.

Instruction sheet? They don't come with instruction sheets. They have great kits but you are strictly on your on as to how to put them together. But they are great kits. We have yet to get one of the BBQ tool sets into the display case...they are sold before they come off the lathes. They are the hottest item for Christmas gifts this year at the blind center. I've started making my own instruction sheets to give to my trainers.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

www.chefwarekits.com/bbq-utensil-ki...3pc-woodturning-kit-stainless-heavy-duty.html

I see they do not give any specs on their site either. You would think somewhere in the instruction sheet they would mention a drill size. I guess another use of the good old calipers comes into play. Good luck and looks like a fun project.

Instruction sheet? They don't come with instruction sheets. They have great kits but you are strictly on your on as to how to put them together. But they are great kits. We have yet to get one of the BBQ tool sets into the display case...they are sold before they come off the lathes. They are the hottest item for Christmas gifts this year at the blind center. I've started making my own instruction sheets to give to my trainers.

I guess there is really nothing to instruct when you get the proper hole sizes and just make note. Maybe you can write in a review on the page I linked and mention either the sizes you found or what it takes to do one of these sets. Looks like a cool set and pretty reasonable too. Epoxy and some blanks. Happy turning.:)

Kind of like grandfather clock works. Comes with instructions but they're all in German and they don't supply them in English.

WIDirt

Umm, looking at the pics on the site posted above, one of them says "3/16in Holes, Epoxy into handles".

Might want to start around there....

sbwertz

Umm, looking at the pics on the site posted above, one of them says "3/16in Holes, Epoxy into handles".

Might want to start around there....

The tongs have a U shaped connector that provides the "spring" in the tongs...and I have found 3/16 is a little too small. The rest of the kit is bigger...a 5/8 forstner bit worked ok. I took my set of forstners with me. The center only has a 1" forstner with extension for drilling peppermills and salt and pepper shaker sets.

The problem was that I was at home and the kit was down at the center so I couldn't mic it. And I needed to take it with me Friday because it was scheduled to be turned on Tuesday and I go in on Wednesdays and Fridays. It hadn't been delivered yet when I left on Wednesday, so I couldn't take it home with me. That was why I called. Not an issue. I went in early and measured it and drilled it on the lathe on Friday. I just thought the response was funny!

Last edited:
Top Bottom