Gutted..... well, sort of....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've been saving my pennies to buy a cheap Chinese 4 axis CNC router.....the one below.. ( Via Amazon ) A 3040
Well I ordered it at the end of August and it was apparently dispatched on the 2nd of Oct...
Like a big kid waiting for Christmas, I've been gazing out my window for over a month for it to arrive. :confused: Nothing...
I sent them a quick note this morning if they could confirm the delivery tracking only for them to reply ( very honestly IMO) that their courier kept returning their machines for some reason...I have no idea why.
But they gave me the option of a full refund or to wait a bit more..
As they have replied via Amazon, and accepted the fault then I'll now use the money to build my own. Hopefully there won't be an issue getting my money back.:wink:
Not sure how upset I am... I was going to use this machine as training really and I knew there would be a steep learning curve with the Software.
I wasn't keen on the antiquated parallel port communication setup anyway, so now will build it around USB or maybe even Bluetooth..
Still, a bit disappointing nonetheless:redface:

Attachments

• 4 axis CNC router.jpg
    4 axis CNC router.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

On a home grown machine I would stick with USB or some type of wired interface. Noise is always a huge issue with accuracy and easier to deal with through wires than through the air, IMO. Of course, I officially worked on my last "robot" (CNC router) in 1988.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Although I have two controllers, one uses the printer parallel port and the other is USB with Gecko controllers they now use Ethernet connections.
https://www.soigeneris.com/motion-control-io-boards
I bought one from Jeff, and then rebuilt the first one that came with my Cnc Taig mill using his as a guide. Better power supply and other parts than the original Taig one.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Welcome to the dark side. Building your own has many advantages as you will soon discover. Let me know how I can help. You'll soon be writing your own code. Recommend downloading Mach3 software and play with it in simulation mode. Also try to get familiar with gcode. Takes a few weeks or so to get used to it and will shorten the time to get running once your machine is built. I still say the best part of CNC is being able to take a nap while you're making something. Enjoy the ride.

robutacion

Oh boy, I wish you luck with that, I would certainly never contemplate building my own, no Sir is bad enough to try to get to work the ones already built, that is in my view, off-course...!:)

Let us know what you endup with...!

Cheers
George

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Actually, building the machine worries me less than the minefield of the electronics and software....:eek:
I have started playing with Fusion360 CAD/CAM. there are loads of great tutorials on YouTube. But it still hurts my brain....:redface:
I'm one of those people that get more from building something than using it.

The cheap router was going to be my learning introduction and my goal is to make a mill into a 4 axis machine. :biggrin:

eharri446

I have a DIY CNC machine that my son got me where he works. It was listed for $199.99 and he was able to get it for me for $169.

The only thing is, that it is still in the box and I do not have space to set it up just yet.

darrin1200

This is why I am selling of some of my excess kits. I am looking at the X-Carve. Hopefully before Christmas.

One of the things I like, is that there newest version has most of the electronics assembled. Apperantly no soldering or anything like that. More plug and play.

Good luck with it Skip.

LouF

I built my CNC from a kit back in 2011 I think it is the best way to learn the in and outs.
Specs:

80/20 Aluminum Frame with a 2' x 3' Workable Area
Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable Speed Router
Custom Router Mount for Hitachi M12VC from K2CNC
Gecko G540 Stepper Motor Controller
3x 380 oz-in Nema 23 Stepper Motors
350W 48V Power Supply
Machined Mounts,Bearing Blocks,and Carriages are from FLA kit.
E stop switch from CNC Router Parts
Speed controller Super-PID
Mach 3
Vectric Software

Now I am looking to build one with a larger work area .

Top Bottom