Grill Tools Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

faas

Has anyone used this set from Rockler? I have a customer that would like a nice set, plus a pig tailed flipper, but I can't wrap my mind around the final selling cost. With this set at $70 and a flipper at $11 just for components, 4 blanks at roughly $8/ea... my pen price calculator has me around $235. Would anyone spend that for a BBQ set?

I've looked on chefwarekits for others but the quality didn't seem like it was all that great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Have you used this set? At that price point I was worried about the quality.
If you want professional grade, I suggest you buy some at a restaurant
supply house & change the handles as you see fit.
But, you're going to pay thru the nose for it.

Is your customer a professional BBQ chef?
If so, then charge accordingly.:)

magpens

This looks to be a very nice set from Rockler, but I do not see the pig tailed flipper.

I would like to make a set for myself as a conversation starter. . Please tell me where you saw the flipper.

I fully understand your problem ... but there would be no harm running it by your customer so that you both are on the same page and they know where you stand. . You are up for $113 initially, and you are not making a whole lot at your selling price. . Your customer would easily understand that, in my opinion. Good luck ! ... and please let me know where to get the flipper components !! :) Thanks

Has anyone used this set from Rockler? I have a customer that would like a nice set, plus a pig tailed flipper, but I can't wrap my mind around the final selling cost. With this set at $70 and a flipper at $11 just for components, 4 blanks at roughly $8/ea... my pen price calculator has me around $235. Would anyone spend that for a BBQ set?

I've looked on chefwarekits for others but the quality didn't seem like it was all that great.

dogcatcher

Comparing those kits to pens is like comparing apples to oranges. But then I don't use some "magical" number times cost to compute sales prices. I charge by the hour, I keep track of the time, and add that to the cost of materials. But then I have been a woodturner for over 50 years, a new person cannot charge the same amount per hour as I do, because what might take me 30 minutes may take a new turner an hour or more.

In this case, I would also be spending time to "learn" about the kits, getting to know the requirements for the handles etc.. Then I need to decide if this is a one time project or will I be making more. Do I charge the customer for that time, or do I absorb that time as an "education learning experience"??? In this one, I would probably absorb the time as a learning experience. If you do arts and crafts shows, every so often you might get some custom projects, you need to be able to "guess" at prices.

TonyL

I have not used the set, nor would I spend that on a BBQ set (I am also the worst at BBQing), but I would spend 5K on an guitar. You don't know what the client would spend on what.

This is just me...if I were going sell a BBQ for over $150 (but the higher the better), I would find some TruStone or M3 on-sale (I see it TS deeply discounted on FB all of the time) to add something somewhat unique to the set. Those materials will also add weight (perhaps value in the mind of the client) to the tools.

Ask and see...

Much success with the opportunity!

faas

I fully understand your problem ... but there would be no harm running it by your customer so that you both are on the same page and they know where you stand. . You are up for $113 initially, and you are not making a whole lot at your selling price. . Your customer would easily understand that, in my opinion. Good luck ! ... and please let me know where to get the flipper components !! :) Thanks

That's what I ended up doing. Pitched to her what I thought it would be and see what she says. The flipper would be purchased separately. I've tried several brands but really like the ones Woodcraft carries.
FB_IMG_1483764539273.jpg

Comparing those kits to pens is like comparing apples to oranges. But then I don't use some "magical" number times cost to compute sales prices. I charge by the hour, I keep track of the time, and add that to the cost of materials. But then I have been a woodturner for over 50 years, a new person cannot charge the same amount per hour as I do, because what might take me 30 minutes may take a new turner an hour or more.

In this case, I would also be spending time to "learn" about the kits, getting to know the requirements for the handles etc.. Then I need to decide if this is a one time project or will I be making more. Do I charge the customer for that time, or do I absorb that time as an "education learning experience"??? In this one, I would probably absorb the time as a learning experience. If you do arts and crafts shows, every so often you might get some custom projects, you need to be able to "guess" at prices.

Thanks for the input, Marvin. I've tried to stick with the hourly rate as well. With this I went with 3 hours as my most educated guess. Im sure it will take longer but I agree with your comment about absorbing some time as a learning experience.

Top Bottom