A great find dumpster diving today-- my luck changes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

My normal Monday routine is to open the shop at work, start a pot of coffee and back out the truck. I lock the shop and take a short spin to check a favorite dumpster near student housing.

This morning I found a microwave box full of goodies. It had a few horse related books, a rodeo vhs tape, a playstation 3 wireless keyboard, a nice table cloth , a graduation gown and three nicely stacked cowboy hats. There was also a small handled leather bag with a zipper. It was hand tooled with a ranch brand and the name JIM on it. How lucky was that !

I pulled it out and put it in the truck. I then spied a case knife under a pallet which I could not reach so i had to hop into the dumpster. I got the knife, a couple more books, a small lighter and a dime.

When I unpacked back at the shop I found the three hats to be in pristine condition. They were all my size as well.. Two were brown blue label 5X Cinch hats. One still had the product label inside.

The last one is a Black 30X Stetson El Patron hat . I did a on-line check and was floored to find out it sells for $550-580 .

The Case knife is a yellow trapper that retailed for $62. It has a little surface rust that I have started to clean and will probably keep as an everyday knife.

To top off my lucky day a check someone sent me in April that I never received arrived in the mail...lol

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

Since I am a North East transplant ( Buffalo,NY area until 9/2000) hanging on to the hats is probably not as high on my list as turning them into something else. I'll have to give it some thought *G*

I never gave picking up a lottery ticket much thought on my way home...oh well ...

With the week starting like that, you should end it with a trip to the beach. If you take a nice stroll and stub your toe, you'll probably end up digging up a magically preserved classic Ferrari. Great find.

Krash

Las Cruses huh?

You being on the I-25 pipeline from Mexico, these probably belonged to some runner that met a dastardly fate. Better lay low for a while. :eek:

Top Bottom