Good thought for the new year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul in OKC

“If I had my life to live over, I would dare to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I’ve been this time. I would take fewer things seriously, and I would take more chances. I’d take more trips; I’d climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream, and fewer beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I’d have fewer imaginary ones.

“You see, I am one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I’ve had my moments, but if I had it to do over again, I’d have more of them. In fact, I’d try to have nothing else ¯just moments ¯ one after another instead of living so many years ahead.

“I’ve been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot-water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring, and I would stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry- go- rounds. I would pick more daisis.†Nadine Stair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtparso

Gee Paul I have lived almost the opposite.
Live fast die young kind of life. But as I come up on fifty and I have to take a hot shower and a couple Advil to get the joints moving some mornings and I can predict the weather by my joints, I sometimes think a little more caution would have been wise. But in the end if God called me home today I could say “wow what a rideâ€.

woodwish

I think I am with Ron on this one. As I became an official AARP member I realized a few joints ache from abuse earlier in life. Would I trade those aches for a boring life? No way!! I still race teenagers on my rollerblades at 52 and win more than I lose. Even after a long day in the shop when my ankles, back, shoulder, etc. start to bother me a few Aleive, a stiff drink, some quality time in the hot tub and life is good again. My wife has always been the conservative one, and broke her first bone a few weeks ago by slipping at school and breaking her shoulder. What a boring story! [8D] If I had my life to start over I may have done a few things differently but being more cautious is not one of them. [;)]

smoky10

I agree with you in a way Paul, but I would spend more of my time sober. Several years of my life are sorta foggy but I haven't drank for 18yrs. and would never go back to it. There's a Country song with a line that says "I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do", so Paul while you're still kicking get out there and do something that you would normally not do. Have fun.

GregD

Paul,
This one strikes close to home. As Ron said, "Live fast die young". I've tried everything at least once and some twice. I've been battling the ravges of Parkinson's Disease for the past 7 years. At 49 there are a lot of things that I can't do anymore. I'm not ready to give up yet. There are still things I want to do. I take it day by day. God willing, maybe I'll get to do some more before things get too bad. Get out there and enjoy life before something happens and you can't. Have fun!

Paul in OKC

Obviously there are two extremes, I guess. I tend too be too careful in what I venture into, try to think it out, want to know the end result sometimes before I start. That sort of thing is what this speaks to me about.

alamocdc

Originally posted by ldimick
<br />AARP let's people in at 52???[:0]

Man, that is a lot closer than I thought.
Actually at 50, Lynn. And they've been hounding me since my birthday. I just haven't broken down and sent in the form yet. [;)]

rtparso

A gift that keeps giving. Several years ago a co-worker (who loved to pull practical jokes) was hitting 60 so we got several copies of the AARP mag and we sent in every product info request. He was still getting junk mail years later.

woodwish

When I turned 50 I started getting all kinds of mail from AARP that I just trashed until I started noticing all the AARP discounts, living in Florida it's a big market. So I joined, can't even imagine how much I saved in just the last year or so. Coffee is half priced at McDonalds, bad as it may be! [8D]

driften

You never know when its all going to end.
My mother in law died last sunday on Christmas day while playing cards after dinner. She was 72, but thought she was going to live another 10 years or more. My wife is currently trying to deal with her estate.... you just never know. At least she died while doing something she loved.

ashaw

I just turned fifty[B)]. I beat cancer a five years ago and Had my first heart attack two years ago. If I had a chance to do it over again would do the same, not change a thing. I am enjoying life like evenone else joints hurt a liitle more but no requets.

Darley

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />“If I had my life to live over, I would dare to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I’ve been this time. I would take fewer things seriously, and I would take more chances. I’d take more trips; I’d climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream, and fewer beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I’d have fewer imaginary ones.

“You see, I am one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I’ve had my moments, but if I had it to do over again, I’d have more of them. In fact, I’d try to have nothing else ¯just moments ¯ one after another instead of living so many years ahead.

“I’ve been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot-water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring, and I would stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry- go- rounds. I would pick more daisies.†Nadine Stair

Paul come to see me and I will teacher you BBBL (Beach,Beer,Banana Lounge[:D] ) get your house keys and throw them away and go fishing, live 1 day at the time and relax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom