Good Score from a Good Guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

The Good Score...
Haven't been checking Craigslist much lately, but happened to look early this morning and saw an ad for a grinder with a OneWay jig for $75. Powertech grinder not much to get excited about, but with the OneWay included with the Vari-Jig as well--I sent him an e-mail. Got that, some brass set-up bars, 1/4" Whiteside roundover bit, and a pair of Robert Sorby chisels (45 degree shear scraper with both internal & external scrapers and a 3/8" fingernail gouge). Total was $130--so even if the actual grinder doesn't cut the mustard it was still a good deal.

The Good Guy...
Seller was a retired school teacher, leaving woodworking due to a blood disorder caused by agent orange. He was stationed in Cambodia, on the flight line when planes came back in after defoliating. By the time he had symptoms, he's been unable to get VA benefits. Still--he had a great attitude, and appreciated the education and the career that his service led him to. it was an honor to meet such a gracious person. Glad I made the 2 hour round trip--was worth the 30 minute visit.

earl

Attachments

• Tool Purch 8-7-2018.JPG
    Tool Purch 8-7-2018.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Would love to him a nice pen. I can send it to you, and you can forward. Just thinking he may have tons of pens. Just let me know.

Tony---sent you a PM. Thanks for your kindness, and for the lesson!! I should always have one ready for those moments. Will pass your gift on for you, and thank you for YOUR service as well!!
earl

TonyL

Got it and returned to you. I will ship to you on Saturday - should receive by Monday or Tuesday.

Thank you.

dthayer

You should contact him and have him try the VA again. I was accepted by the VA (not for Agent Orange) and from everything that I read and hear (official VA materials) if he can prove contact with Agent Orange it is an almost automatic approval at 100% disability. If he is still having problems getting approved, have him contact the local DAV, VFW, or American Legion and speak with a VSO (Veterans Service Officer). They are specially trained veterans that provide free help in completing the paperwork and will even fax it directly in. They also have Veteran Service Reps at most VA facilities that he can talk with (can take a while to get an appointment though). County and state offices usually have a department that can help. Have him not give up -- it can sometimes take a number of tries and appeals. Thank him for us.

dogcatcher

You should contact him and have him try the VA again. I was accepted by the VA (not for Agent Orange) and from everything that I read and hear (official VA materials) if he can prove contact with Agent Orange it is an almost automatic approval at 100% disability. If he is still having problems getting approved, have him contact the local DAV, VFW, or American Legion and speak with a VSO (Veterans Service Officer). They are specially trained veterans that provide free help in completing the paperwork and will even fax it directly in. They also have Veteran Service Reps at most VA facilities that he can talk with (can take a while to get an appointment though). County and state offices usually have a department that can help. Have him not give up -- it can sometimes take a number of tries and appeals. Thank him for us.

You do not have to prove you were in contact with Agent Orange, if you served in the area of operations, it is presumed by the VA that you were exposed. I have been doing the Agent Orange dance since the 1970's, cancer. high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, etc., if the condition is one that is listed, the disability award is as automatic as it can be.

greenacres2

I'll definitely pass on those suggestions. His issue is something to do with blood cell counts dropping at times so he can't get enough oxygen--but random. I've got a few folks I can check with here as well.
Thanks!!
earl

I've been fighting with the VA for over 46 years on things that even they admit were probably caused by the military. I'm a life member of the DAV and went to change posts recently and the rep told me to reapply (with the DAV's help)...again. So I did and got bumped from 10% service connected to 40% and they're still working on one other claim. Let this fine gentlemen know that if he keeps pushing, can support his claims with hard facts, he can usually win his case. But it's all on him as the VA makes you prove your case and they won't really help much. The internet is a great place to find a lot of info. Best of luck to him!

mdburn_em

You do not have to prove you were in contact with Agent Orange, if you served in the area of operations, it is presumed by the VA that you were exposed. I have been doing the Agent Orange dance since the 1970's, cancer. high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, etc., if the condition is one that is listed, the disability award is as automatic as it can be.

Not necessarily true. It does depend on where you were. Congress is trying to pass something that will benefit sailors who were exposed, much like this scenario. The VA is fighting this very, very hard. This might apply, especially due to the fact he was in Cambodia and not in Vietnam.

Sometimes people don't want to spend their life mired in fighting the VA.

philipff

He only needs to prove he was in the Service, that his unit is on the list of eligible units, and the VA should grant him coverage. There are several Vet groups who will help him if he needs guidance. Tell him to start by calling the regional VA Office!! NOW! P.

He only needs to prove he was in the Service, that his unit is on the list of eligible units, and the VA should grant him coverage. There are several Vet groups who will help him if he needs guidance. Tell him to start by calling the regional VA Office!! NOW! P.

With all due respect Admiral, I have to somewhat disagree. I recently was awarded a 0% service connected rating on one of the medications I have to take to counteract some of the side effects of another drug I take to control the service connected disability. I've been struggling with the VA for years just to get the co-pay taken care of. I did all the research, submitted all the forms through the VA rep in my area , but I did all the leg work. I even included three studies from the Mayo clinic that show the connection. So yes, the VA will help but my experience has been that I, the Veteran, have to do all the research and it can take a lot of time.
Thanks for your service. I see you were also a chopper pilot. Ever fly in East Africa in 1974?

Top Bottom