good news/bad news

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I'm working on two Round Top Euros, each with 6 coats of spray DEFT lacquer.

I've polished the finish now that it has cured, and the finishes are really fantastic. I think they may be the best finish I've done so far!! (that's the good news)

The bad news is that I didn't cut the blanks correctly, and there's no place to put the center band! (that's the bad news)

BUT!!!... I assembled the Ambrosia Maple without the band, and it doesn't look too bad! I'll assemble the Pink Ivory tonight, after a little TSW/REN, and see how closely the top meets the bottom.

They don't look too bad, and I wind up with two extra center bands!

I keep tellin' ya, well I think not too good!

(Tom, I guess Murphy is back)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Yeah, I'll get'm posted as soon as I can.
The maple pen didn't look too bad, actually. There is a small gap between the blanks, but you have to concentrate on it. I think someone out there will like it. The finish will sell it, I think!

MDWine

Sorry the picture is so large, otherwise you loose some detail. Not too bad for a botched-up kit! The finish on both of these is much better in person. I haven't gotten the picture thing quite dialed in.

AmbMapleRTEuro.jpg

The ambrosia maple is my favorite, pink ivory turned out OK too!

PinkIvoryRTEuro.jpg

BigRob777

Michael,
I think they look just fine. This is the first I've heard of someone turning ambrosia maple pens (of course I am new to the addiction). I am glad to see it, because I just bought a ton of ambrosia maple, with a little spalt, for pen blank cases and book cases for my new office and would like to make something else out of some of it.

MDWine

I've become a big fan of Ambrosia Maple, Rob. I think what I like most is the color contrast. I have 2 barons working right now, one of which is a Mesquite with some yellow sapwood. I think it is going to be very nice...

I have one Lignum Vitae on the lathe right now, and am going to follow JimGo's lead in trying to MM it all the way down, and leave the wood unfinished.

I hope to be able to turn the mesquite this afternoon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom