Is this a good deal ... edited 1530hrs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
EDIT IN 8NOV05 1530hrs

Just placed my order for a Green Vanishing Point with Gold Trim with a Medium point... $70.00
Bought it from http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/ If you are looking for some good buys check them out.
Pam the owner says they will be in stock early next week and she will ship them, told me not to send her a check until she tells me it shipped... can't beat that kind of customer service...
She also told me that the nibs tend to run a bit thinner than European/American standards so the medium will be what we would call a medium/fine...
Also ordered some Noodler's ink in red-black and sequoia... will use the sequoia in the VP...
YEAH, I am going nuts.... when I started making my own fountain pens and saw how nice they could write I swore I would never buy a "new" factory pen, but the vanishing point always intriqued me....
Besides, I could not get Bruce Boone to sell me one of his vanishing points for this price [:p][:p]

Namiki Vanishing Point

A larger size, durable metal body and attractive appointments make the Vanishing Point unmistakably unique. Vanishing Point is available with gold or rhodium accents in black, blue, red or green barrels with fine, medium or broad 14 karat gold nibs. Beautifully merchandised in a black leather gift box, the Vanishing Point is truly a pen for the new age.

black.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
MSRP is around $100-120 for this pen, so $69 is a pretty darned good price. I own several Vanishing Points and love them. The nibs are Asian, so recognize that if you buy a broad point it will write like a European medium point. Also, while this may be advertised as a "Namiki Vanishing Point", Pilot Pen Corp. (which owns Namiki) replaced the Namiki name with the Pilot name in 1999. The only exception is the "Raden" model.

driften

The only note is that for some people the clip is in the way of their fingers. If that is the case with you, then you can get the tip reground for left oblique point so the pen can work slighty rotated. The guys at nibs.com can do that for you. Pam is a great person to be buying the pen from. She normally has some of the best prices around.

btboone

Those are really nice pens Tom. I checked them out pretty closely when designing my twist pen. I also like the Cross Verve pens. Both have a nice look and work well.

Scott

Hi Tom,

I Love my Namiki Vanishing Point! I got mine in the limited edition yellow, and with a fine point. Yes, it is "very fine"! I may switch it out for a medium at some point, which is something that is easily done with the Vanishing Point. I've been using Private Reserve Blue Suede ink in mine lately.

I think the price you got on it is great! I hope you really enjoy it! For those looking into a nice commercial fountain pen, I noticed last week that Levenger has their Pelikan "Honey" fountain pen on sale. This is in their M400 series, and has a gold nib. It is a piston fill and holds a lot of ink. I've been discussing this pen with Anthony lately, and it is the same pen he was going to get and have the nib reground, but then went with the Parker at the last minute. I am severely tempted to add this one to my collection!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom