The Good and the Bad - Japanese Saws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

So, I have several Japanese style saws, and they come in very handy. I love my double-edge saw - and I hate it at the same time.

It turns out, it's really easy to scrape/cut your other hand when you're using it (the top edge of the blade.) I guess the lesson is don't hold your work with your left hand while sawing with your right. Learned this several band-aids later yesterday...

-gary

leehljp

Member Liaison
"East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet!" :biggrin:

Japanese tools are built/designed around their methods and ways of doing things. By and large their saws are meant to cut on the "pull back" while American saws are designed for Push, or both push and pull.

And to your bandaid needs, they practice practice and practice before doing actual work.

(Lived in Tokyo, Osaka and Toyota City over 25 years).

PatrickR

Gary, Ive done the exact same thing a few times. you'll quickly change your methods. A hand saw can do an amazing amount of damage. I love hand saws, one of my favorite tools. Getting a couple Japanese saws led me to get some quality American brands and currently use those the most.

vtgaryw

I still like using hand tools, despite owning almost every power tool I could possibly covet. The double edged saw is different, your mind doesn't realize that you need to be aware of where the teeth on the top side are in relation to your hand.

Funny thing is, I'm very careful with power tools, most of my injuries are from using hand tools.

-gary

Top Bottom