Good antivirus freeware program for dad?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

He has PC literacy problems so I'll need to download it and make a CD to send him. Anybody got any suggestions? He's convinced he has a virus of some type and says it won't let him install Norton AV. TIA!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

Nolan is correct about Spybot and Windows Defender for spyware, but if you are looking for Anti-virus software, AVG is consistently rated at the top of the list. They have some paid versions with more bells and whistles, but the free one is fantastic and I install it on every computer that I use personally and the ones that I maintain for friends and family.

www.grisoft.com/free

They make you hunt just a bit for the free version, but it's there.

-warren

Nolan

Warren is right its not an Anti-virus software. IMHO 99% of computer issues are caused by trojans, worms and loggers and not actual viruses so I have only run the programs I mentioned before. I will have to check out Warrens link to see if it is a funtiopnal program for me as one thing I have always disliked about viral software is the decrease in functionality of the computer. Basically they are a pain in the A@#.:D If them hackers would just put all that knowledge to good use:D

jimmyers

I used to use AVG untill it let a NASTY virus through. After having to slave my drive to another PC and run multiple scrubber programs the only thing that would get rid of it was Avast.

So the first thing I did was install Avast on all my PC's at home and no problems since.

TBone

I think it qualifies, it's definitely warped. :D
While I have been known to take the occasional chunk off (in my younger, more daring and more foolish days) I will not be slicing and offering blanks.....much to everyone's relief.

bitshird

Originally posted by BigShed

I have been a happy AVG user for a long time. However as of 31 May 2008 they have stopped supporting the free version.[V]
They have a new version VER 8.0 still free, just looks a little different

Top Bottom