Gold Plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Say, I need help understanding plating of gold. :cool:
I made a 24k gold toothpick holder that is used to store things around my neck. Within three months the gold was gone and it is down to the metal. I sweat and wear this thing daily. :frown:
In making new ones, I want them to stand up a little better and saw that 10k gold was harder, yet the kits more expensive. :confused:
If you were making these for wear around the neck, what would you use? :confused:
As an alternative, chrome would probably last allot longer but gold looks nicer. :bulgy-eyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Yes John the 10k plating is considered better and therefore more expensive than the 24k. How much better is up for debate. From what I remember it gets a protective coating which helps it wear longer.

Not sure if these kits are even available in the BETTER platings like Titanium Gold???

Jgrden

Yes John the 10k plating is considered better and therefore more expensive than the 24k. How much better is up for debate. From what I remember it gets a protective coating which helps it wear longer.

Not sure if these kits are even available in the BETTER platings like Titanium Gold???
Thanks Lenny. Titanium Gold. I think they did not offer it at CAUSA but might look at Arizona. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.
John

10K gold will be an alloy of Gold and a harder metal... not sure what the other metal might be... 24k is near pure gold and probably a much thinner plating, and definitely softer than 10K... hence the wearing away much quicker. The 10K TN is an even harder alloy of gold and Titanium...

terryf

10K gold will be an alloy of Gold and a harder metal... not sure what the other metal might be... 24k is near pure gold and probably a much thinner plating, and definitely softer than 10K... hence the wearing away much quicker. The 10K TN is an even harder alloy of gold and Titanium...

Just want to help you right here...

24K is pure gold and therefore extremely soft and titanium gold doesn't contain gold but is merely gold colored titanium nitride.

Just want to help you right here...

24K is pure gold and therefore extremely soft and titanium gold doesn't contain gold but is merely gold colored titanium nitride.

I said near pure because I knew it was pretty sure it was pure, but not certain... I did not know that TN Gold wasn't gold at all, just the TN... appreciate that knowledge.

bitshird

John even the chrome wears fairly fast, I used to carry my Nitro in one till I found out that Nitro should only be kept in the little glass bottles it comes from the pharmacy in.

Jgrden

John even the chrome wears fairly fast, I used to carry my Nitro in one till I found out that Nitro should only be kept in the little glass bottles it comes from the pharmacy in.
Yikes. How did you know???:eek: I have been keeping mine in the secret key holder. I guess it is time to get a new prescription. Quickly. :ghost:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The best wearing are Gold TN, Black TN followed by Rhodium, Chrome and Black Chrome....the worst will be Gold, Silver and copper and white gold.

Gold can be made to be longer lasting. Adding a small amout of iridium or molybdenum can make it quite a bit harder. I think one of those is what they add to get to 22kt.

SCR0LL3R

Do you guys notice much improvement with the 24k "Upgrade gold" rack plated stuff? I have been leaning towards chrome for the cheaper pens but I still make some with this gold.

I also love these satin chrome Sierra Elegants. How does this satin chrome hold up? I really want to use them but the satin chrome part is right where your fingers go on the one that I like the best.

Attachments

• elegantsierra.jpg
    elegantsierra.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 67

spilperson

Hi folks from a newbie and sometime lurker.

I was just wondering the same thing about gold platings last week and did a little reading...titanium gold is not just titanium nitride. It is a base plating in Titanium nitride plus a layer of gold Splutter plated (?) on top of that. I am not sure splutter is the word they used...i will try to find the article.

Frank

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I was just wondering the same thing about gold platings last week and did a little reading...titanium gold is not just titanium nitride. It is a base plating in Titanium nitride plus a layer of gold Splutter plated (?) on top of that. I am not sure splutter is the word they used...i will try to find the article.

Frank

Not necessarily.....some manufactures claim they do that to get a more natural gold color....the gold wears off very quickly.

terryf

Frank

Not necessarily.....some manufactures claim they do that to get a more natural gold color....the gold wears off very quickly.

Yip, splutter is correct, thats how they describe it because thats what it is - picture yourself spluttering a mouthful of coffee over your dining room table, thats what the plating would look like.

As Smitty says, some claim to do it and dont whilst others do it but its so thin it wears off before you can get it out the shop. It still looks gold colored but theres no gold in sight.

As Ed mentioned, his titanium gold drill bits certainly dont contain any gold in them.

Top Bottom