Going to buy a new LAthe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Anyone using a Colt SML 350? Going to buy a new lathe sometime later on and the Colt caught my eye. Just wanting to here some user end reviews.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Greg,

You have been doing this long enough that you ought to be telling US what to buy! :biggrin:

SML 350 - Looks GREAT and love the speed range; most run of the mill midi lathes do not get below 600 RPM. I think you will really APPRECIATE that lathe!

magpens

The very low speed will be good for applying CA.

I would prefer a lathe that has full electronic speed control without belt change for speed ranges.

Check the bed length ... it is probably OK but I don't see it specified on the Colt site.

cozee

Greg,

You have been doing this long enough that you ought to be telling US what to buy! :biggrin:

SML 350 - Looks GREAT and love the speed range; most run of the mill midi lathes do not get below 600 RPM. I think you will really APPRECIATE that lathe!

Lol! Thanks for the vote of confidence Hank. Plenty of people out there with more knowledge than I when it comes to lathes. I finally retired my first lathe last year, a Wilton I bought at Menard's back in '04. Finally burnt the motor out. I still have 2 HF mini lates, my old Walker Turner, and a couple old Craftsman and Atlas lates. Figured it was time I stepped up into the 21st Century. The Colt sure has caught my eye with the power it has. I don't think it would have any trouble turning large pieces. Belt changes are no big deal. Gives one a little break at least but then pens could be done on the belt position with the highest rpm. I am not planning on buying until late summer so I've got time!

Top Bottom