Gnashing of the Teeth... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Gnashing of the Teeth...

While turning, that is. Not in the biblical sense. Anyone else find themselves clenching their teeth too hard? I find I do it when I'm trying to apply pressure sometimes while sanding or applying finish.

It can't be good...

-gary
vtgaryw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

I don't usually do that (teeth) but I know the feeling. I concentrate so hard on what I am doing in building, making, or repairing that I become oblivious to the outside world, and I catch myself and realize how tense I have become. I just have to back off and try to relax. Trouble is: I enjoy the intense focusing of creating and problem solving, but realize it is not always healthy.

I usually come away energized from the creativity or problem solving BUT worn out from the process. Not unlike a lineman in a hard fought football game after the game is over and they won by a few points - physically worn out but savoring the victory.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Several years ago, my dentist noted that my teeth were showing signs of wear that suggested grinding during sleep, or some other tension-related response.

Yesterday, I had an emergency visit to my dentist - my symptoms was pain when chewing. After an extensive series of x-rays and tests, the dentist concluded that my problem was not a tooth/dental problem, but rather TMJ - a problem that can be caused by a number of factors including grinding of the teeth and tension. His suggestion was to shift to a diet of softer foods for a week, combined with ibuprophen.

So the point is that this is a real concern, and intense focus creates stress that can have painful consequences.

Intellectually, I know that my best turning results from being relaxed about what I'm doing. But like many others, I often find myself focusing very hard to what I'm doing, and tensing up in a way that I know doesn't produce the best results. And my dentist would add that it's not healthy. And my credit card says that the cost of treatment isn't cheap.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I do that occasionally when turning. It usually happens when I am turning large out of balance bowl blanks and am very focused on what I’m doing. I try to be aware of it and not do it.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've had that problem in the past. Hard to break, the habit that is, but it can be done. Another problem I had was not blinking my eyes enough. I would get bloodshot eyes and couldn't figure out why. Went to an eye surgeon, had a few tests and he told me I wasn't blinking enough while doing things that require a lot of mental attention, like turning. Again, another hard habit to break but I worked at it and it seems to have gone away.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 67

I use a "bite-down-on" sports mouth guard during the tension-causing processes of pen turning in order to avoid tooth damage.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

While it is only 6 total posts before this post, I am surprised that this may be somewhat more common than I would have thought.

This is also a thread that I don't remember seeing before.

We might need a forum therapist!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I thought this was supposed to be a relaxing pastime. Grinding teeth = stress. Stress leads to mistakes, which leads to more stress if you are unable to step back and enjoy the process. Mistakes will happen. Let them roll off and learn from them. Walk away when you find yourself grinding. This is supposed to be fun.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 67

HaHa !!

Nothing is stress free !!

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
Several years ago, my dentist noted that my teeth were showing signs of wear that suggested grinding during sleep, or some other tension-related response.

Yesterday, I had an emergency visit to my dentist - my symptoms was pain when chewing. After an extensive series of x-rays and tests, the dentist concluded that my problem was not a tooth/dental problem, but rather TMJ - a problem that can be caused by a number of factors including grinding of the teeth and tension. His suggestion was to shift to a diet of softer foods for a week, combined with ibuprophen.

So the point is that this is a real concern, and intense focus creates stress that can have painful consequences.

Intellectually, I know that my best turning results from being relaxed about what I'm doing. But like many others, I often find myself focusing very hard to what I'm doing, and tensing up in a way that I know doesn't produce the best results. And my dentist would add that it's not healthy. And my credit card says that the cost of treatment isn't cheap.
I know it sounds weird, but try chewing gum. It keeps you from clenching your jaw. Sugar free gum, of course LOL.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads