Gift for my Mother-in-law

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

My mother-in-law requested a new shelf for her desk at work. I don't think that she is expecting what she's getting. I know that she likes to show off some of the things that my wife and I do for her because it makes her co-workers jealous (she works in a lawyer's office). I figured if I was going to help make someone jealous, I may as well put some effort into it. This is a shelf made from curly ambrosia maple and walnut, dovetail joinery, with a walnut maple leaf inlayed into the top front of the shelf. I know that you can't see it in the pics, but there is an arch cut from the bottom of the "legs" as well. After doing this, I realized that with some curvacious cuts, this design would make a nice sitting bench.
critiques are welcome. I know that the photo's suck, sorry. I put in a cherry bowl in one of the pics to show some contrast.

20063603458_shelf.jpg

20063603514_inlay.jpg

20063603525_bowlinlay.jpg

sorry about the post size. I tried putting them as thumbnails, but I couldn't get them to come up on the pull down menu.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Very nice work! How'd you do the leaf?
I cut out the leaf on the scroll saw, then used an exacto to trace around it on the maple. Then hand routered it out with a 1/8" spiral downcut bit. I had to cut out the stem with the exacto knife, because the router bit was too big. I then fine tuned the recess by hand, then glued the inlay in place. Overall it took about an hour or so total.

Doghouse

Way to go Dave. Was that the maple we took off the wall of the shed? If you want the rest of it, let me know I won't be getting to using it any time soon. SWMBO has discovered another pile of projects for me.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Way to go Dave. Was that the maple we took off the wall of the shed? If you want the rest of it, let me know I won't be getting to using it any time soon. SWMBO has discovered another pile of projects for me.
No, this was some ambrosia maple that I bought from woodcraft over a year ago. I did use that maple I got from you to make a butterfly inlay in that slab walnut table, though. The walnut is some from your stock, though. Speaking of which, I may need to talk to you about getting another board or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom