Getting out, but not sure how.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jpford

Good day to all. Due to several circumstances and changes in my life and family, I am at a point where I need to get out of penturning completely after several years. I have a moderate collection of items such as finished pens, new kits, blanks, tools, etc. that I need to dispose of within the next few months.

I realize I'll never get what I've spent, so I'm not focused on getting max dollar value, although it would be nice to get "something" for my stock as it includes some better quality kits and blanks, pen cases, display cases, etc. I suspect my items would be a great investment for a relatively new, but committed turner.

My problem is, I'm not real sure where to start. Obviously, I need an inventory, which I pretty much already have, but what's next? I live near PSI and Arizona Silhouette, so considered dropping by to talk to those folks. Bur I'm open to other ideas, so any help you might have will be very much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cdwrrtx

Sorry to hear...

Break it down into small groups by kit/style/blank type and post in the For Sale forum.

Sell by lot or individually (full lot discount vs small number)
Or create "grab bags".

Display cases/tools/etc probably priced individually.

wood128

I would suggest putting together an inventory and then try first selling here on IAP .....28000 members !!!
My brother lived in Trevose , Pa and took the train everyday to work in Ambler, Pa . He was a chemist and worked for the American Chemical Paint Co. It was bought out by another large Co.

jttheclockman

Agreed try here first. There are so many newbies joining and they would probably benefit the most with inventory. Go to sales forum here and read instructions and ask questions. You will get it done if you are willing to ship. That is the key. You can check and run an add for pick up if people live in your area. Good luck.

I just was over a long time member"s house, from here who is moving and bought some stuff off him and I told him too to list the rest of his stuff here.

Last edited:

Curly

As stated above by using this site or look for local woodturning clubs and see if anyone is interested in your machines. They are usually too heavy to be shipped cheaply unlike blanks and kits.

WriteON

Good day to all. Due to several circumstances and changes in my life and family, I am at a point where I need to get out of penturning completely after several years. I have a moderate collection of items such as finished pens, new kits, blanks, tools, etc. that I need to dispose of within the next few months.

I realize I'll never get what I've spent, so I'm not focused on getting max dollar value, although it would be nice to get "something" for my stock as it includes some better quality kits and blanks, pen cases, display cases, etc. I suspect my items would be a great investment for a relatively new, but committed turner.

My problem is, I'm not real sure where to start. Obviously, I need an inventory, which I pretty much already have, but what's next? I live near PSI and Arizona Silhouette, so considered dropping by to talk to those folks. Bur I'm open to other ideas, so any help you might have will be very much appreciated.
PSI has a bulletin board. Leave a note with items and how much for everything.
Advertise on PSI Facebook page
Sell finished items on Etsy.
Maybe Craig's List but me personally would not buy or sell there.

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

Sorry about your misfortunes.
I live very close and might be interested to pick up a few things, I'm thinking mostly tools. An inventory list would be very useful.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You might consider posting a complete inventory in our for sale forum, with a price for the entire lot, and see if you get any nibbles after a couple days. If not, break it down into smaller lots as others have suggested.

jpford

I would suggest putting together an inventory and then try first selling here on IAP .....28000 members !!!
My brother lived in Trevose , Pa and took the train everyday to work in Ambler, Pa . He was a chemist and worked for the American Chemical Paint Co. It was bought out by another large Co.

Interesting. I'm actually a transplanted Texan, but I live close enough to Ambler that my address is sometimes listed as Ambler...

jpford

Thanks to everyone for the advice and for your condolences! Just an FYI, my "life changes" are all very positive and exciting, so there's no sadness and this is just "one of those things" that has to be removed, at least temporarily. It's not hard to pick back up once I get settled down.

I will post my inventory in the Sale section and see what happens...

jpford

One last Question: is there any good reason to include finished products in this sale? I know my crafting is excellent, but I also know I'd hesitate to buy somebody else's pens... My product inventory includes some nice, quality stuff, Majestic, Venetian, Mistrals, with quality finishes/blanks. Still, no sense wasting the time and space including them if no one will be interested.I have an Etsy store, so I can probably unload them there if not.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
One last Question: is there any good reason to include finished products in this sale? I know my crafting is excellent, but I also know I'd hesitate to buy somebody else's pens... My product inventory includes some nice, quality stuff, Majestic, Venetian, Mistrals, with quality finishes/blanks. Still, no sense wasting the time and space including them if no one will be interested.I have an Etsy store, so I can probably unload them there if not.

I'd suggest you list them here in a separate lot, if you're willing to accept less than retail individually, or a good price for the lot. Also, feel free to post a link to your Etsy store.

jpford

I'd suggest you list them here in a separate lot, if you're willing to accept less than retail individually, or a good price for the lot. Also, feel free to post a link to your Etsy store.

Jeff, by "list them here in a separate lot" I'm assuming you mean list them in the IAP marketplace, not here in this thread, right?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Jeff, by "list them here in a separate lot" I'm assuming you mean list them in the IAP marketplace, not here in this thread, right?

Correct.

Top Bottom