getting meds from canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

Anyone on here have their prescriptions filled by Canadian Pharmacy?

Do to a heart condition and diabetes I take 6 different meds a day. My copay is $120 a month, I was looking into ordering them from Canada. I can get 4 month supply for $140.

Have you or would you buy from Canada?

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

I do...don't regret a second of my time doing it either. I myself think it is better than paying these theives here. The only reason they have the price so high is because they know we need it. Just like gas and everything else you have to have.

tomas

A few years back when I did not have insurance, I got all of my meds from Canada. I never had any problems and they were quite reliable. The prices were much lower than here.

Tomas

sbell111

The meds in Canada certainly should be as safe as thoughs in the US. Whether importing these drugs into the US is legal is an entirely different issue.

Rounder

My parents get my meds from Mexico when they go to Arizona each year. My prescription is $200 a month in the states. I get a years supply for $400 from Mexico. The only difference I see is the name is in Spanish and it doesn't have a foil wrapper on it. Works the same as what I get here.

jallan

John, I have diabetes also and if you are a vet fill out their forms and if you qualify you get your drugs for a very small co pay or free. If you are a vet check it out

Haynie

I don't know why meds are cheap in Canada but in Mexico much of the medication is out of date. A pharmacist in Mexico told me this. He said the US govt requires expiration dates on everything so when things go out of date pharmaceutical companies sell their stuff to other countries for dirt cheap.

Canadian_Kid

I am not 100% sure but I think that Canada only lets a certain price markup on meds. It all works out the same because we get ripped off on everything else :)

toddlajoie

Canadian meds should be, and typically are, exactly the same as US meds. They are cheaper because Canada dictates the price that medications can be sold at. Makers can either sell at the price Canada dictates, or not sell the medication in Canada. Canadian law also states that if a maker does not sell a medication in Canada (at the price they dictate) then the patent on that medication is not valid in Canada, leaving Canadian companies free to duplicate the medication without having to worry about R&D costs. For this reason, most makers who have products that Canada has set costs that result in a loss for the maker continue to sell their product in Canada at a loss in order to protect their patents. The then shift their profit margin to markets that do not regulate their prices, namely the US. Here's a random example:

1. Medication must be sold at $100 to maintain profit.
2. Canada regulates price to $50.
3. Company charges US customers $150 to make up for loss in Canadian Sale.
4. People wonder why a $50 Canadian prescription costs $150 in the US.

Now I'm in no way justifying the profit margins that all Pharm companies maintain. They are raking in money hand over fist. And I'm not saying I don't sympathize with people who have medications they need and cannot afford. I'm just shining a light on what is going on behind the scenes to explain why the same meds sold in Canada are so much cheaper than those sold in the US. By all means, if you cannot afford purchasing your medications in the US, do whatever is necessary, but if the number of people re-importing meds from Canada continues to rise, the cost of medications in the US is going to continue to rise to make up for this situation. If the US Universal Healthcare system gets similar price control over medications, there may be a chance to bring Pharm's profit expectations back into a reasonable level, however, it may also drive out a lot of the R&D that they do.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Canadian meds should be, and typically are, exactly the same as US meds. They are cheaper because Canada dictates the price that medications can be sold at. Makers can either sell at the price Canada dictates, or not sell the medication in Canada. Canadian law also states that if a maker does not sell a medication in Canada (at the price they dictate) then the patent on that medication is not valid in Canada, leaving Canadian companies free to duplicate the medication without having to worry about R&D costs. For this reason, most makers who have products that Canada has set costs that result in a loss for the maker continue to sell their product in Canada at a loss in order to protect their patents. The then shift their profit margin to markets that do not regulate their prices, namely the US. Here's a random example:

Now I'm in no way justifying the profit margins that all Pharm companies maintain. They are raking in money hand over fist. And I'm not saying I don't sympathize with people who have medications they need and cannot afford. I'm just shining a light on what is going on behind the scenes to explain why the same meds sold in Canada are so much cheaper than those sold in the US. By all means, if you cannot afford purchasing your medications in the US, do whatever is necessary, but if the number of people re-importing meds from Canada continues to rise, the cost of medications in the US is going to continue to rise to make up for this situation. If the US Universal Healthcare system gets similar price control over medications, there may be a chance to bring Pharm's profit expectations back into a reasonable level, however, it may also drive out a lot of the R&D that they do.
Then we'll have more drug shortages -
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/drug-shortages/story?id=14593880

Parson

"medications must be sold at $100 to maintain profit."

Sorry, you lost me right there. I should read "medication is sold for $100 in the US because this is the price ceiling the market will currently bear..."

Pharma co's should not be allow to make more than a small profit margin considering people have no choice with the patents enforced and only one source for a life-saving drug. It's not free enterprise. It's GREED.

arioux

Meds are not sold at lost in Canada. This would be rediculous. If they sell it $50 they are still making profit because profit is taking into account when evaluation the price of a new drug, along with a very conmplex process. If they sell it $150 in the us it's because they can and no one is stopping them.

A 2001 study in Canada implying the following company: Merck Co., Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., Pfizer Inc., Abbott Laboratories, Warner-Lambert Co., Eli Lilly Co., Schering-Plough Corp., SmithKline Beecham, and GlaxoWellcome showed that they made a 41% profit margin AFTER TAX in Canada. Imagine how they make in the sates. Phamaceutical company are AMOUNG THE MOST PROFITABLE IN THE WORLD. In the same study, the industries spent $316 billions $ in administration, marketing and share revenue against $112 billlions in R&D. Their priority is not RD, but the maximum revenue for the share holder. They rely mostly on the university system that they sponsor for their R&D. Canada decided, as well as some other European countries to put a stop to this monopoly on patented med. Good for us. Hope your goverment will act someday.

I invite you to reaf the following info to better understand how it work

http://www.pmprb-cepmb.gc.ca/english/View.asp?x=272#16

Simplex

"medications must be sold at $100 to maintain profit."

Sorry, you lost me right there. I should read "medication is sold for $100 in the US because this is the price ceiling the market will currently bear..."

Pharma co's should not be allow to make more than a small profit margin considering people have no choice with the patents enforced and only one source for a life-saving drug. It's not free enterprise. It's GREED.

As someone who works in the pharma industry, I'll provide a little inside perspective before we start heading down the "greed" path. The drugs that you and I depend on (for whatever reason) are developed over a VERY long time, typically 10-20 years depending on the drug, and often require hundreds of millions of dollars in investment, if not more. Of the ones that actually make it to market there were hundreds of drugs that did not, each of which required years of development, clinical trials and millions of dollars in lost investment before it was ultimately decided to be a "no-go". That being said, that first commercially made pill of a new drug is not worth the $1 it is being sold for; it's worth about $1 billion (or whatever the cost was to develop it). Because the investment was so high, so goes the price; however, this is not the only factor. Regulations play a large factor as well but that is a separate discussion.

As far as restricting profits go, this is a terrible idea. These profits are reinvested into R&D to create new drugs which allow the business (and your health) to be sustained and create new and better medications. If profits were restricted, you would find many of the companies that supply your drugs go belly up. Ultimately, everything would end up being imported (and jobs exported). Sticking with this theme, apply profit restrictions to the pens we make. Are you now able to invest in new equipment? Supply new products? Support the overall effort? Doubt it.

Unfortunately, there are a couple industries in the US that have been demonized by certain political groups and media outlets. Pharma is one them (oil the other).

Akula

Orphan drug designation?

I have a very good friend who has spent his life in helping people. They had a drug this year they could compound for $25 with FDA approval and it helped mothers and their unborn child. Now in sweeps a new company and now the pharmacies have been severed with notice to stop producing the medications. This new company is selling the same product....for $1,500 per dose. This requires mulit doses and the women at the most risk usually don't have insurance...so who will pay?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that DELALUTIN (hydroxyprogesterone caproate) injection, 125 milligrams (mg)/milliliter (mL) and 250 mg/mL, was not withdrawn from sale for reasons of safety or effectiveness. This determination will allow FDA to approve abbreviated new drug applications (ANDAs) for hydroxyprogesterone caproate injection, 125 mg/mL and 250 mg/mL, if all other legal and regulatory requirements are met. However, in considering whether to file an ANDA for hydroxyprogesterone caproate, future applicants are advised that they may not be able to obtain DELALUTIN (hydroxyprogesterone caproate) injection, 125 mg/mL and 250 mg/mL, for bioequivalence testing because the product has not been commercially available for a number of years. An ANDA applicant who is unable to obtain DELALUTIN (hydroxyprogesterone caproate) injection, 125 mg/mL and 250 mg/mL, for bioequivalence testing should contact the Office of Generic Drugs for a determination of what is necessary to show bioavailability and same therapeutic effect..
Supplementary information:
In 1984, Congress enacted the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act of 1984 (Public Law 98-417) (the 1984 amendments), which authorized the approval of duplicate versions of drug products approved under an ANDA procedure. ANDA applicants must, with certain exceptions, show that the drug for which they are seeking approval contains the same active ingredient in the same strength and dosage form as the "listed drug," which is a version of the drug that was previously approved. ANDA applicants do not have to repeat the extensive clinical testing otherwise necessary to gain approval of a new drug application (NDA). The only clinical data required in an ANDA are data to show that the drug that is the subject of the ANDA is bioequivalent to the listed drug.

Now if that's not enough............

File this under 'if something can go wrong, it will.' KV Pharmaceutical was tagged last year by the FDA for making and selling unadulterated and unapproved drugs (see here). Since then, manufacturing has been idle for 15 months, KV is short of cash, and 289 people - or about three-quarters of its workforce - was just let go.
Meanwhile, David Hermelin, a former vp of corporate strategy and operations, filed a charge of religious discrimination against KV last September. KV denies his dismissal was tied to religion. Hermelin is the son of Marc Hermelin, KV's former chairman and ceo, who was dismissed in December 2008 amid a probe into alleged mismanagement, The St. Louis Business Journal writes. However, Marc Hermelin claims he retired from his position prior to his termination by the board. At stake in the dispute is $10.8 million in accrued retirement benefits. Both David Hermelin and Marc Hermelin are still members of KV's board, because they hold 62 percent of the voting power of two classes of common stock.
And last month, a wholly owned subsidiary known as Ethex pleaded guilty to two felony counts of criminal fraud for failing to report to the FDA that it was making oversize tablets that could be harmful to patients, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes. A KV exec considered what to do in July 2008 after KV discovered oversize tablets and oOne option was "to do nothing because the probability of oversized tablets is very low," Assistant US Attorney Andrew Lay said in court papers. Over the objections of other employees, the executive chose the "do-nothing option." The unnamed exec instructed multiple employees to "minimize written communications about KV's oversized tablet manufacturing problems and limit distribution and discussion of any documents discussing these problems," according to the prosecutor.
"Bottom line is you just don't mess with the FDA, and this has happened again and again at KV," Juli Niemann, an analyst at Smith, Moore & Co., tells the Post-Dispatch. "Trying to take shortcuts for profitability is a systemic problem there." Adds Lawrence Solow, an analyst at CJS Securities: "It's a disaster."
"It's a disaster," said Lawrence Solow, an analyst at CJS Securities, a New York brokerage and research firm. "If within six months they don't start generating revenues, they may end up in bankruptcy."

srf1114

Short answer Yes it is safe, the Med in Canada are the exact same meds as in te US. I wouldn't buy them form an online source though. As you never really know where those are coming from.

low_48

I buy my desiccated thyroid from Universal Drugstore. A Canadian supplier was the only option for natural thyroid when the USA supplier of Armour thyroid went into a horrible shortage more than a year ago. They are great to work with, and my shipment usually gets to Central IL in just over a week. They also give quantity discounts when you order over $100. You can specify that you want Canadian only meds so they don't use a foreign supplier. I've had good results for well over a year now.
http://www.universaldrugstore.com/

Last edited:

Jmhoff10500

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been looking for a place to buy antibiotics for a bug out bag/survival kit that i am putting together and didn't want to have to pay the outrageous cost in the states for a fail-safe i might never use, what online pharmacies do you guys purchase through, i don't want to hijack this thread so if you have any suggestions, please PM me, Thanks!

Top Bottom