Get Ready for the CASTING CONTEST!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Get ready! Because it's time to start thinking about

CASTING!!!

This year I've been asked again to head up the contest. We had an amazing breakout year last Birthday Bash and I see a great future for this event. Because things went so well I've only made a couple small changes to the way things will go this year.​

There will be 3 categories in which anyone can participate:​

COLOR CASTING

Pretty self explanitory. Each contestant will have to cast a blank using pigments of any kind. Each blank must use 3 and only 3 distinct colors. This will make the judging easier. We will be looking for good color seperation, flow of colors, and the overall aesthetics of the pen.​

Example: Red, White, Blue

EMBEDDED OBJECT

This will cover anything and everything that is 1st cast in resin, then drilled, tubed, and turned. Be creative and unique!​

Examples: Pine cones, Pepper flakes, Pasta​

TUBE ON CASTING

This will cover anything and everything that is 1st attached to a tube and then cast in resin. Think outside the box!​

Examples: Feathers, coins, snakeskin, Cigar Labels, etc.​

The Casting Contest will begin Feb. 01, 2013 and will end Feb. 17th, 2013 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. NO EXCEPTIONS! I will then create a public poll for each category for your peers to vote on. Voting will begin on Feb. 18th until Feb. 23rd. The top 3 vote recipients will then be entered in the finalists poll which will begin Feb. 24th through Feb. 27th. The winners will be revealed Feb. 28th. I will also reveal ALL entries in a seperate thread. This way we can all find out who made what.​

Members will be limited to 1 entry per category. There will be a top winner in each category so there is a chance for a member to win in multiple categories.​

RULES

1: Do remember that this is a PEN turning forum. Each submission must be made into a pen! All submissions must be a component pen (kit). There are no restrictions on type or style as long as it is a component pen. We hope to see Rollerballs, Fountain pens, and other "Prestigious" component sets. We want to see your best casts shine! Component-less pens will not be eligible.​

2: To enter the contest you must use the entry form given (link will be given in the actual bash thread). Remember that you will be judged based on your photographs submitted.​

3: Any pen shown publicly (Not just on IAP) prior to Feb. 01, 2013 will be ineligible. Also any entry shown publicly during the bash on ANY public site will be disqualified. Do NOT post your pen in the thread!​

4: Pens made with the aid of lasers or CNC machines will be ineligible. We want to see unique & creative pens made by YOU!​

If anyone has a question or would like clarification on any of the rules or about their submission please PM me.​

This thread is only to make everyone aware of the contest! Once the bash starts a new thread will be made.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wait... Brooks has been asked to lead up the casting competition?! Nothing like taking out the competition? :) JK - good luck to all!

Brooks803

Wait... Brooks has been asked to lead up the casting competition?! Nothing like taking out the competition? :) JK - good luck to all!

:frown: I know! I've had some secret special blanks JUST for this contest and have yet been able to use them! I don't mind though. I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's work and creativity.

This year I am glad that I don't have to judge! It'll be up to all of IAP to determine who wins.

Brooks803

Oh, and to publicly reply to some PM's I've gotten.

The blank for each pen submitted MUST be made & cast by the person entering it. No sending off a tube to be prepped by someone and then casting it. You have to do all the work yourself.

jttheclockman

Oh, and to publicly reply to some PM's I've gotten.

The blank for each pen submitted MUST be made & cast by the person entering it. No sending off a tube to be prepped by someone and then casting it. You have to do all the work yourself.

Then can you please send me my tube back???:biggrin: Heck I thought I could use one of your secret casts.

Brooks803

Okay, clarification needed...
jeneuerb and I work as a team. Normally, she casts, I make the pen.

If we BOTH work on the cast, and BOTH work on the pen, can we enter it together?

Great question Lee. For this I'm going to have to say that each person would need to work seperately for any contest entry. Allowing pairs to work together would allow anyone to team up to make an entry.

Brooks803

Does the whole pen need to be cast or can there be a cast inlay on a segmented pen? Thanks.

The best answer I can give is to read the rules for each category and decide if what you're making will fit within them. I've left the rules pretty open to try and let people's creativity flow. If it fits within the rules then it's fine to submit. Just take them very literally.

Also, if you want to PM me more details of how you plan on making this I can tell you more definitively if it'll fit or not.

PR_Princess

cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif

Top Bottom