Get checked!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Any of you guys follow Marc L'Ecuyer aka thatlazymachinist?

I think he's a pretty good teacher and I watch all his YouTube vids.
Crazy sense of humour....
Anyway, in his latest vid, he shares that he has prostate cancer. However, due to being diligent with annual check ups, it was found early.

If you make just one resolution this year, then make it to get an annual check up.

Yep, not fun being examined, but it sure beats the alternative.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Excellent advice. My Dr. is after me to go get checked.
But my other Dr. says my PSA or whatever it is - is really low so no big hurry to go get it done.:befuddled:

magpens

Thanks for the reminder, Steve. . I am pretty diligent about that, but I think it's time again.

Terredax

Banned
Unfortunately, without medical insurance, the cost is astronomical.
I already know of my other health issues, so I'm not in a hurry to realize another one right now anyway.

We just had to come up with $150.00 for Mrs. T to visit her Dr.

monophoto

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last Spring. My urologist told me that it was early stage, but given my age (I'm 71), treatment should essentially eliminate prostate cancer from the things that I have to worry about in the future. He offered me a choice between robotic surgery and radiation augmented with hormone therapy; he said that in my case, either approach would have the same outcome, and the only difference would be in dealing with the process. I talked with both the surgeon and the radiation guy, and opted to get nuked. The treatments themselves were quick and totally painless - about 10 minutes each - the need to go in every day for nine weeks did impose some limits on what my wife and I could do over the summer months, but I was fortunate that the treatment center is only 15 minutes away so it didn't force any major issues. A more significant concern - they want you to drink a lot of water before each treatment, and it is a challenge to schedule yourself to drink a large quantity of water and get through the treatment without having an accident (that's a middle-age male thing).

The hormone therapy is a bit more difficult because the side effects can be pretty harsh for some guys. In my case, I have noticed hot flashes (my wife just laughs), and there are times when I feel dizzy and very fatigued. In talking to other guys who have been through this process, the hormone treatment seems to be the thing that most complain about. In my case, it's mainly been a nuisance, but I can understand why some guys say it's so devastating.

Statistics show that one man out of six will be diagnosed with prostate cancer. I also read somewhere that the probability that a man actually has prostate cancer is equal to his age, which means that as we get older, the risk increases. Given those odds, it does make sense to me to be proactive about getting tested, and then getting treated.

The exam isn't that bad - its just a blood test. Of course, the Doctor will probably want to give you the finger also. Before I retired, my employer required that I have a physical every year, and it always came up in January. I am absolutely certain that the Doctor held his hand outside the window for about an hour before he did the test just to make sure that his finger was REALLY cold!

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Thanks to a tour in Vietnam and Agent Orange, I went through the prostrate cancer treatment when I was in my 40's. The PSA test is a simple blood test. The alternative of not having the test done can be the last mistake you make.

leehljp

Member Liaison
12 years ago, I had my second colonoscopy. 3 polyps. Strongly urged to do this regularly. Every other year at the least. Next colonoscopy: 18 polyps, 3 in pre-cancer stage. Then every other year: 1 to 3.

It is a pain but I watched a cousin go through waiting almost too late to have a colonoscopy. Extensive surgery and chemo.

One day of pain every other year is well worth the investment for a healthier life versus the alternatives.

TonyL

Thanks to a tour in Vietnam and Agent Orange, I went through the prostrate cancer treatment when I was in my 40's. The PSA test is a simple blood test. The alternative of not having the test done can be the last mistake you make.

Thank you for serving.

OZturner

As mentioned by Louie. I too am in remission of Prostrate Cancer.

My PSA was relatively Low, but due to regular Blood Tests, my GP, and Urologist, were able to note the increase over time.
Being in my late Seventies, the Urologist recommended not to undergo Radical Surgery, but to Consider Radiation Therapy, and he referred me to my next Best Friend, a Radiation Oncologist.

Of the Procedures offered and discussed, I chose to have HDR (High Dose Radiation) Brachytherapy, were under an Epidural Sedation, they position 17 small tubes into the Prostate, guided by the results of a previous Prostate Biopsy, that determined the areas, of most concern.
Then through each Tube, they deliver a Radio Active Source, a specific distance, and for a specific duration, the Radio Active Source is then withdrawn.
This procedure is repeated and the next Morning, after which the Tubes are withdrawn.

Then after a short period, I attended for 1 hour each day for five days for five weeks, External Beam Radiation, which supplements the HDR, plus the surrounding area, in case any Cancer Cells had migrated from the Prostate Gland, to other Glands, or Organs in the General Area.

As the Prostate is close to the Bowel, they are concerned that with Radiation Therapy, that the Radiation may leave some traces, that could be concerning to a Colo-rectal Surgeon, during any future Colonoscopy, so it was stressed, that I must mention the Radiation Therapy, when having a Colonoscopy.
As it turned out, I intended to have some corrective Colo-rectal Surgery, when I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, so we decided to delay the Prostate Surgery, but commence Hormone Therapy, to contract the Prostate for the Period, while I recovered from the Colo-rectal Surgery.
I ended up having two Colo-rectal Procedures, fortunately all Biopsy's were negative, but it meant that I was on the Hormone Treatment for 9 months, before I was cleared for the Brachytherapy.

Like Louie and Hank, I recommend to all, as you get over your fifties, make friends with your Urologist, have regular PSA tests, and your Colo-rectal Surgeon, and have regular Colonoscopies, you never know.

Cancer is Insidious, you may not Know it exists, until it has a Hold.

Keep well my Friends,
Brian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom