Gentlemens / Statesman Pin Chuck Info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

This morning I ordered the stock necessary to make the Gentlemens / Statesman pin chucks (Steel rod and Aluminum for the bushings). Since I don't have any of these kits, and only the tubes (Thanks Wayne), Can someone please give me an OD for the smaller bushing?

The Rod for these chucks was a bit more money due to it only being made in a more expensive hardening composition. The price for the Gents and States chucks will reflect that, but should not be more than a few dollars more than the barons. I ordered enough for 32 chucks. Anyone who wants to pre order can shoot me an email. Eventually, I hope to do both the top caps for the Gents / States as well as the Baron.

Also, I ordered some more stock to complete some additional barons as well.

Thanks again to all.

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

driften

Count me in for one. I would also like to put in my vote for making the cap chuck for the Baron. I would actually rather have the cap one before the Gent one.... but hey while you are going the Gent one I will take one.

tipusnr

Followed your other pin chuck thread closely and will this one too. I like some of the pens I've seen from the use of pin chuck but haven't bought any for one simple reason....I don't know how to use one!!!

Most of the articles I've read don't explain the process so it must be really simple - I just can't visualize it. If you, or any of your happy customers, get time could you put up a step-by-step (maybe with pictures) on how to use a pin chuck?

JimGo

Bill,
If others aren't willing to post a step-by-step, I think it was Fred in OKC who described it a few months ago. If you search the archives, you should find a pretty good description of how it works.

gerryr

You might to check this. Fangar posted a very good drawing that shows how the pin chuck is used.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10265

Ryan

James,

If I am not mistaken the Cap for the JR Gents/Baron is a 15/32nds bit. This is the same bit used for the tail end of a Gents or Statesman. By changing just a bushing your pin chuck should work for both[:D].

Someone please let me know if this is not right.

Ryan

Fangar

Thanks Gerry.

Bill (Tipusnr). The link that Gerry posted should give you the idea. It is really a matter of drilling the blank part way through to the dimensions shown, placing it on the pin chuck and turning it. If you can turn a pen, then you will have no problems at all. It is really just another way to hold the blank for you. I will try to get one together, just been so busy.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />James,

If I am not mistaken the Cap for the JR Gents/Baron is a 15/32nds bit. This is the same bit used for the tail end of a Gents or Statesman. By changing just a bushing your pin chuck should work for both[:D].

Someone please let me know if this is not right.

Ryan

Ryan,

That just might be the case. I have never made any of the CSUSA kits so I am not sure. Hopefully I will soon. I will likely only make the one bushing. (That is the majority of the labor, drilling and turning the stock to the correct OD). But if the chuck can be used, one can check fit with a caliper as they turn without the larger bushing. That would be nice if it would work.

Cheers,

Fangar

rtjw

FAngar, I am still waiting on my digital calipers to get in. Thought they would be here yesterday. As soon as they get here I will post it.

driften

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />

Your right! The bits are the same... no idea if the ID of the brass is the same but it must be close. So this one would work for the cap of the other.

Good Deal!

Deere41h

James....The Gent. Bushings are as follows:

Pen Body: .595 at the nib end & .525 at the back end. They are .430 for the portion that is inside the tube.

Pen Cap: .650 at both ends and .548 for the portion that goes inside the tube.

Hope that is what you are looking for. The inside tube dim. are straight off my caliper.

wayneis

James its not the small bushing that you want it is the nib end busging and it is .595 like John says. The Gent bottom barrel is tapered from the nib down to the finial.

Oh ya, don't forget me when you count how many you need to make up.

Wayne

Fangar

Got the info guys thanks. Wayne, thanks for correcting my assumption. I wanted the nib end bushing which is .595 like you said. I will make note of that. Thanks.

Fangar

Darley

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Followed your other pin chuck thread closely and will this one too. I like some of the pens I've seen from the use of pin chuck but haven't bought any for one simple reason....I don't know how to use one!!!

Most of the articles I've read don't explain the process so it must be really simple - I just can't visualize it. If you, or any of your happy customers, get time could you put up a step-by-step (maybe with pictures) on how to use a pin chuck?

Look at this hope is help

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oKlyQ5_05-kVCIsQrdsliwjqekBbJHshdhS1R5R5rduVkLWIB9GsKHsFbn0gbZWvA4RGNtSkcw7fmAP9-iGYRCEBJtn-YA/Jigs%20and%20Tools/Pin%20Chuck.pdf

hope is work, I would have to learn to put those little tinyurl[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom